The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #646
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What a great thread -- all 43 pages. Well.....there does seem to be a lot of Jeep stuff clogging up the nice photos.

One comment: I find that some bright yellow or orange paint is helpful on black tools like the pry bar -- or I tend to put them down in the dirt/leaves and then can't find them or forget them.

One other comment: There should be an easy way to highlight which pages have nice photos, and which pages have just Jeep photos.

Great job though, nice build. Thanks for sharing.
Pete

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #647
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeets682 View Post
Even for Greta, I think a Gau/8 would overgross just a bit! But I like the way you are thinking!

Think of it as the Final Mod. You know, after 2.5 or 5 Ton axles are swapped in, a frame constructed of I-beam is fabbed up. You know, prerequisite **** like that LoL
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #648
nicyousuckk
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflyy View Post
Who'd have thunk there'd ever be a full write up on a pry bar?
nicyousuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #649
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
What a great thread -- all 43 pages. Well.....there does seem to be a lot of Jeep stuff clogging up the nice photos.

One comment: I find that some bright yellow or orange paint is helpful on black tools like the pry bar -- or I tend to put them down in the dirt/leaves and then can't find them or forget them.

One other comment: There should be an easy way to highlight which pages have nice photos, and which pages have just Jeep photos.

Great job though, nice build. Thanks for sharing.
Pete
Yeah, I know...I keep throwing Jeep-related crap into an otherwise-decent thread.

Actually, I'm going to include an index in the first post. It'll have "Completed Mods" or some other such title and references to specific pages. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also agree with the yellow/orange paint suggestion...I thought of that, myself, just a few minutes ago. I might get some day-glow orange or just a few strips of reflective tape. Great suggestions, though! Thank you!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #650
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

Best non-tool tool I have in my shop and would work well for this kit is the top piece of my Craftsman floor jack handle.

It's just the right length and sturdy enough for cheater-bar use, heavy enough to use as a hammer/BFH but, what makes it truly useful is that one end necks down where it slides inside the lower part of the handle in it's intended use. This allows me to use it as a cheater bar on all sizes of things, a 1/2" ratchet (yes, I know not to use cheater bars on them, but this is the wasteland we're talking about here, right?) fits perfectly in the larger end and a 3/8" ratchet fits perfectly in the smaller end. It would be ideal to add to your prybar.

Last thing is that it has a hole in the necked-down section that you'd use to bolt it to the lower piece of the handle and that hole can be used for all number of things (like securing a chain/spike ball to make a mace!)

This isn't the exact jack I have, but the bottom handle part shown here is exactly like what I have:

'77 Cherokee with old and new stuff
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #651
Jekyll86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thoroughly enjoying the thread!

Have you considered adding lockers to the build?
Jekyll86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #652
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nifty crowbar

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #653
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post

Last thing is that it has a hole in the necked-down section that you'd use to bolt it to the lower piece of the handle and that hole can be used for all number of things (like securing a chain/spike ball to make a mace!)
Actually the weapon you describe is called a flail. A mace is a rod/staff with a fixed spiked part on one end. fun fact of the day.
xtdduof.jpg   eftop8ia.jpg  
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #654
cycleguy04

You know, despite us guys being the simpler half of our species, I think this thread will help women understand us just a little better, our thoughts and desires, what have you. I just wish there was a thread like this one that would help us better understand them.

Also, Sundowner, I think the addition of something related to consumtion of beer on Greta's build agenda would be fitting. The Wasteland can get quite rough, beer might just take a bit of the edge off.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #655
Mallanaga
TJ Wrangler 

Someone has a history with D&D... Hahaha :-)
Mallanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #656
45AUTO
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even for Greta, I think a Gau/8 would overgross just a bit! But I like the way you are thinking!
Like Sundowner's signature states, "
Quote:
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.
45AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #657
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45AUTO View Post
Like Sundowner's signature states, "
That crossed my mind too. Glad someone else agrees
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #658
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm waiting....again
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #659
my98tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

One use I have found for my hi lift is that the handle makes a great cheater bar. Thats about the best use I've found for that thing yet.
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #660
Maj-ret-TCJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Actually I am just trying to subscribe ; but a cheater bar is very high on my list of favorite tools. What is so bad about using one?
Maj-ret-TCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.