The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 439 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #6571
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Come over and we can swap the Tera 2.5's in pretty quickly and that will answer your question .

Unread 04-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #6572
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Trust me when I say if I had those, I would be swapping out my rough country springs. And I totally forgot about your brakes. Doesn't Jankoids sig say something about a set of curries he has for sale?
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #6573
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was bored, so here's links to several springs for sell on the forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/...0-obo-2247689/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/...tj-lj-2234697/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/...w-bds-2185977/
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #6574
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this is pretty cool, i havent been on the forum in a really long time because of work, but sundowner's thread is still going. keep it up!

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #6575
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Updated Jeeping: The Elusive Accessory Drive Noise is, in fact, a dying fan clutch. When I popped the fan out and started the engine there was no screeching/rattling whine at all; I could hear the internal rattles and knocks a lot better, but the the mysterious noise in question was gone. So, that leaves me with a decision: do I replace the clutch or go electric with a Taurus fan?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #6576
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run an electric on my other wheeling rig. There has been more than one occurance where the fan, relay, or wiring has failed ending my wheeling day early. I vote stick to the far more reliable mechanical setup. You don't do deep water crossings that I have seen, so no need to worry about the fan contacting the radiator.
Unread 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #6577
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam
Trust me when I say if I had those, I would be swapping out my rough country springs. And I totally forgot about your brakes. Doesn't Jankoids sig say something about a set of curries he has for sale?
I would bet that the shocks are responsible.
Have you driven the jeep without shocks? It won't hurt anything to do so.
84jeepcj7rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #6578
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You sure you want to do this? We can't guarantee your safety, you know; steak and beer and Jeeping tends to make certain parts of the Wasteland even more dangerous than usual...
Would a man with any regards to his own safety study electrical engineering and settle on snowboarding as his favorite "athletic" hobby?

Also...steeeeaaaaaaak

-Scuzz
Unread 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #6579
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First, find a friend and swap springs (you will have to be nice for a day to accomplish this task).

Second, never say electric fan or Blaine will find you.

That is all.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #6580
1989comanche
1989 MJ Comanche 

[QUOTE=Sundowner;21875801]Did...did you get that with pickles???? Where's the "Vomit"

Yep with pickles!!
Unread 04-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #6581
mp15dc
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I went with the Taurus fan upgrade. It has not given me any problems for several years, But..
my electrical is Factory Jeep wiring. Relays, sensors, plugs. Its non-computer control and no aftermarket temp sensors.
It does have a temp sensor in both the upper and lower rad hoses, to allow low and high speed control.

I have enjoyed reading your thread.
mp15dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #6582
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Come over and we can swap the Tera 2.5's in pretty quickly and that will answer your question .
I may do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
The Nth stuff can still be had, if you know where to look...

Quote:
I was bored, so here's links to several springs for sell on the forum.
Not bad at all, price-wise; I wish I could use a 4" spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmiller58 View Post
this is pretty cool, i havent been on the forum in a really long time because of work, but sundowner's thread is still going. keep it up!
No worries, man...we're not slacking off anytime soon. If anything, it's about to get much, much worse.

Quote:
I run an electric on my other wheeling rig. There has been more than one occurance where the fan, relay, or wiring has failed ending my wheeling day early. I vote stick to the far more reliable mechanical setup. You don't do deep water crossings that I have seen, so no need to worry about the fan contacting the radiator.
The mechanical fan is a marvel of reliability, and reliability trumps pretty much everything in the Wasteland...so that's a very solid point that you make. I wish I could find a mythical seven-blade, though; even if I didn't use it, I'd like to have one just for the sake of having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
I would bet that the shocks are responsible.
Have you driven the jeep without shocks? It won't hurt anything to do so.
Sadly, you would lose that bet; I've swapped the fronts out for a brand-spanking-new set that OME sent to me when I contacted them about the increasing firmness, and there was no real improvement. I've also driven with the shocks removed from the front, and while that was a terrifying roller-coaster of a trip around town it only showed how much ride-control the shocks were providing; the stiffness and harshness were still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
Would a man with any regards to his own safety study electrical engineering and settle on snowboarding as his favorite "athletic" hobby?
I suppose that all depends on the amperage and slope of the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
Also...steeeeaaaaaaak
Wanna guess what I'm having for dinner tonight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
First, find a friend and swap springs (you will have to be nice for a day to accomplish this task).
I keep telling you guys - and girls - that I'm Neutral Evil; that doesn't mean that I'm callous, or that I'm not nice. Alignment doesn't dictate behavior; it mostly only dictates which warding spells will give you a problem at the most inopportune time.

I thought about swapping mine with Beasley's, just to see what happened; either way, he has the aforementioned 2.5" Tera springs...so that swap would pretty much eliminate the springs as a candidate. The only thing that might tell us more - as in, whether or not there's a problem with my particular set of springs - is to swap his identical OME 2.5's into Greta's front end and then go hit a bump or three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Second, never say electric fan or Blaine will find you.
I'm think I'm safe because I'm pretty sure that Blaine doesn't read this thread...but there's no telling, with him.

As it stands, I don't have to worry about it just yet because I found a fan clutch in-stock at one of the local parts houses and decided to go ahead and swap it in; I can still go electric later on if I like, but for now I've got one potential failure point eradicated. I'll post some photos of the whole process - tensioner and all - tomorrow at some point. Maybe. Time for beer and steak, now.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #6583
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see if your springs produce that bad ride on someone else's Jeep that has a known "good" ride.
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #6584
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
Let's see if your springs produce that bad ride on someone else's Jeep that has a known "good" ride.
If this fails too, only ideas I have is Greta may be possessed. ......... hopefully not
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #6585
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it is true then mine is too.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.