The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 434 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #6496
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Would you mind going over all of the components of a lighting system like your planning? I never knew so much went into it and would love to learn more.

USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #6497
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Would you mind going over all of the components of a lighting system like your planning? I never knew so much went into it and would love to learn more.
Now, pay attention, 007...

I'm pretty new to all of this, but my amateur-level understanding is that a projector system is really quite simple; you basically have wiring, a bulb, a power source, a projector assembly, and a housing. The wiring is the simple part; like any other headlight or bulb, you just need to run wires of the appropriate size in order to deliver the needed amount of current...but that's where the similarities end, because the heart of the projector system - the gas arc bulb - doesn't work quite like a normal filament bulb. A gas arc bulb needs a power source - a ballast - in order to give it the correct amounts of power at the correct times, so when power is provided to the ballast it 1) provides the current necessary to power on the bulb, and 2) regulates the amount of current necessary to continue powering the bulb. You can read up on the esoterica of this process if you like - here's a link - but the important thing to understand is that once the gas arc bulb is lit you're good to go as far as light production is concerned; light direction is a different story.

In order to direct the massive amount of light that a gas arc bulb produces, the bulb itself is housed in a projector assembly that consists of a reflector behind the bulb - we all know how reflectors work - and a condenser lens that's in front of it; these two components basically catch all of the produced light (reflector) and direct it forwards in as linear and orderly a fashion as is possible (condenser lens). That's really all that there is to a projector assembly; the only other major important part is a solenoid-activated shade that alternately blocks or reveals part of the projected light from the bulb in order to create low beams or high beams. The entire projector assembly is placed in a weatherproof housing, and this housing is literally nothing more than something to hold the projector assembly stable within whatever mounting and alignment system the vehicle uses.

That's all there is to it; power is fed to the ballast, the ballast kicks on the bulb, the bulb's output is directed by the projector assembly, and the projector assembly is contained in a sealed housing. You can buy all of the parts and pieces as a kit, and as we've seen it will bolt right in to a TJ.

Is that a good explanation, or did I make it worse?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #6498
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I don't like about the projectors is the cutoff point at he top of the beam. I noticed this on my wife's car on low beam. High beam is pure awesome though!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #6499
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1000x easier! Thankyou very much! I would love to upgrade my lighting but money is tight so I just research until the time comes so I can't wait to see this light off!
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #6500
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the projectors is the cutoff point at he top of the beam. I noticed this on my wife's car on low beam. High beam is pure awesome though!
The sharp cutoff is actually one of the parts that I like best; all of the light is where I need it the most and there's little glare/reflection or upward spill. However, if you prefer more diffuse illumination the sharp cutoff would certainly be somewhat distracting or annoying. Regardless, the amount of light that comes out with the high beam is almost unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
1000x easier! Thankyou very much! I would love to upgrade my lighting but money is tight so I just research until the time comes so I can't wait to see this light off!
I know all about caps being tight - that's the standard state-of-being here at Site B - but research will help you spend them in the best way possible...and knowledge tends to be a very helpful commodity, no matter the topic. Due to my photographic interests I've spent the last few years learning about how light works, and that research is paying off in big ways now that I'm looking at headlight upgrades; knowing how a xenon gas arc/metal halide bulb renders color made the LED vs. HID decision very easy for me. To explain: LEDs run cool and take very little current and don't break very easily, but when I start thinking about the main purpose of a headlight - to accurately and decisively illuminate any given terrain that's ahead of my vehicle - all of those factors become secondary; the one big thing that LEDs don't do very well is provide an even output spectrum, and spiky or selective output means that some things get illuminated very well, but not all things. To illuminate everything you need a full-spectrum light source, and xenon gas arcs - which, as mentioned, are actually metal halide lamps - basically mimic full-spectrum sunlight...and this full-spectrum output means a much more even and complete illumination of whatever might show up in front of my rig. So, between the full-spectrum factor and the sheer light output of the average metal halide bulb, projectors are the choice I feel best about in a headlight. For round-the-camp utility light, color-specific light or secondary illumination - i.e. light bars - LEDs are great!

Tensioner change-out and Antirock installation write-ups are coming; I had to take the evening off to do some thinking about my front bumper situation. I've still got the stocker, and I think I'm going to do something horrific to it.

Unread 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #6501
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I've still got the stocker, and I think I'm going to do something horrific to it.
This^^ is why I keep coming back for more...well, this and the humor, and fallout references, and...

-Scuzz
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #6502
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you want a little more light in the meantime get some h4 conversion housings and a DDM tuning HID kit. Just aim them properly and you will be good until you can afford the projector retrofit.

This is my plan exactly. I will use the aforementioned setup until I'm ready to retrofit. Then I will reinstall the stock lights until I've finished the surgery.

One of the upsides is you will already have the bulbs, wiring, and power source sorted. All you will need is the projectors (providing they use h4 bulbs).
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #6503
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So Dave, if you don't mind me asking. What is a kit like yours expected to cost caps-wise?
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #6504
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
This^^ is why I keep coming back for more...well, this and the humor, and fallout references, and...
If the bumper turns out as I think it can, it'll be worth your attention. I'm still working on exactly how I want to lay it all out, but at this point I can tell you that what I'm going for is a clean, factory-looking shorty model; I got a lot of compliments on how "factory" the hard deck looks, so I'm sort of continuing that idea on the front end. I'm thinking about making some very "finished off" closed ends, and I may even retain the factory rubber bump pads. I don't know it'll turn out, but if nothing else it'll be a cheap fabrication project...and I can use all the welding practice that I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
If you want a little more light in the meantime get some h4 conversion housings and a DDM tuning HID kit. Just aim them properly and you will be good until you can afford the projector retrofit.

This is my plan exactly. I will use the aforementioned setup until I'm ready to retrofit. Then I will reinstall the stock lights until I've finished the surgery.

One of the upsides is you will already have the bulbs, wiring, and power source sorted. All you will need is the projectors (providing they use h4 bulbs).
I'm hoping that the install will come in the next couple of weeks; if it was going to be longer, I'd very much consider that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
So Dave, if you don't mind me asking. What is a kit like yours expected to cost caps-wise?
I expect it to be in the $450-range; that amount should purchase everything that's needed to get the projectors up and running. I should note, however, that this figure assumes a standard-output bulb; there are some uber-output bulbs available, but these can add about $50 to the price tag, each...so I'm going to stay with the conventional offering because those should be more than enough to melt someone's face.

Also, it was a late workday, so the install/repair pictures will be another day or so out...but they're coming, I promise.

Unread 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #6505
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just to put it out there, it can be done for $300 if you get one of their retrofit kits and a $30 housing off Amazon.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #6506
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara View Post
Just to put it out there, it can be done for $300 if you get one of their retrofit kits and a $30 housing off Amazon.
Or, you can do it with a JK housing and some scrounged parts for even less; the thing I like about the Sealed7 - and the reason I want to use them - is that they're a hassle-free bolt-in setup that's just as easy to install as the LED options that are on the market. They're also 100% weather-sealed and already set up to run a mini D2S projector; that makes them well worth the money that TRS is charging.

Unread 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #6507
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
If the bumper turns out as I think it can, it'll be worth your attention. I'm still working on exactly how I want to lay it all out, but at this point I can tell you that what I'm going for is a clean, factory-looking shorty model; I got a lot of compliments on how "factory" the hard deck looks, so I'm sort of continuing that idea on the front end. I'm thinking about making some very "finished off" closed ends, and I may even retain the factory rubber bump pads. I don't know it'll turn out, but if nothing else it'll be a cheap fabrication project...and I can use all the welding practice that I can get.

I expect it to be in the $450-range; that amount should purchase everything that's needed to get the projectors up and running. I should note, however, that this figure assumes a standard-output bulb; there are some uber-output bulbs available, but these can add about $50 to the price tag, each...so I'm going to stay with the conventional offering because those should be more than enough to melt someone's face.
I was kinda surprised by the price, and not surprised at the same time... Caps will have to be saved for these, assuming the housings will fit a Wagoneer, which based on their dimensioned drawing, they should. Because the ability to see makes me happy.

I always envisioned a factory narrowed bumper would be simple, narrow with something like a 30 degree cut on the bottom, and fog lights frenched-in. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #6508
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or, you can do it with a JK housing and some scrounged parts for even less; the thing I like about the Sealed7 - and the reason I want to use them - is that they're a hassle-free bolt-in setup that's just as easy to install as the LED options that are on the market. They're also 100% weather-sealed and already set up to run a mini D2S projector; that makes them well worth the money that TRS is charging.
Ya, after what I went through with mine, I'd pay the extra $100 dollars for some work free housings.

But I can't complain too much for doing it under $100.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #6509
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good thing about playing with the front bumper is they are cheap, so if you mess up, it's not a big loss. At least that's how I tried to think about it when I hacked my stocker up. Actually had fun with that little project and learned some welding skilz in the process.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #6510
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you want another stock front bumper, I have one sitting in my garage

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.