The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 428 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #6406
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25
Spot the monkey
So you moved to the land down under?

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #6407
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Man with a brand new Hyundai

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #6408
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dave I have been meaning to ask about you Falkens. How have they been in the snow? I really want MTR/Ks but the more I read the more I realize they aren't right for a daily driven rig in the snow belt. What say you kind sir?
dongalonga is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #6409
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Yes mate, Melbourne, back after 4 years in Oman. Not liking the cool air too much but great to be home. Now I just have to reclaim the garage from my son so I can rip into it.
Very weird driving LHD on the wrong (right) side of the road....
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #6410
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Things move quickly in The Wasteland. Just scored a great deal on BFG ATs from a local friend. Looks like the tire portion of the build is decided.
Unread 03-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #6411
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Dave I have been meaning to ask about you Falkens. How have they been in the snow? I really want MTR/Ks but the more I read the more I realize they aren't right for a daily driven rig in the snow belt. What say you kind sir?
In stock trim they're very good in light-to-moderate snow; with grooves cut to allow more of the accumulation to fall out while at speed, they'd be fantastic. I was originally a bit trepidatious about taking them through deep snow or ice-covered terrain, but the speed-run I made down to Jay's end of the Wasteland several weeks ago eliminated all of my concerns about whether or not they'd handle those conditions. Granted, they're not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but unless you're pressing through deep snow on a regular basis I don't see the need for that kind of specialization. MTR/k's are a great tire as well, but I don't really look at them as a top choice for any daily-driver; they're a wonderful tire off-road, but asphalt isn't the place where they shine.

Quote:
Things move quickly in The Wasteland. Just scored a great deal on BFG ATs from a local friend. Looks like the tire portion of the build is decided.
That was quick!

I think the BFG AT is a good tire and a lot of people happily run them; I see tons of trucks that have them and nobody really has much to say about them that's negative. I think the biggest complaint I hear is that they don't do well in mud, but that's going to be the case with any all-terrain tire.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #6412
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. It is always good to have more data points. I do try to avoid mud when possible. All of my rigs have had ATs and unless I was purposely going into a mud bog, I haven't gotten stuck.
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #6413
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Monkey !
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #6414
84jeepcj7rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

Monkey !
Beasley, you should have had your pinstripe guy do a custom dead monkey on the tailgate.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #6415
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Beasley, you should have had your pinstripe guy do a custom dead monkey on the tailgate.
i like this idea
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #6416
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sundowner, I feel like I had to trek all the way from The Hub to The Capitol Wasteland to get to the end of this thread, but it's been a delightful read. When the conversation drifts into my areas of experience I'll share what I can. In the meantime, I will continue to hang back in the shadows and soak up the wisdom, discussion, and science fiction. If you're still looking for a headlight wiring upgrade though, I just installed a relay harness in my Cherokee. It was well worth the $35 + shipping, everything was plug and play, it improved the brightness of the existing sealed beams, and came with nice heavy gauge wire and 960W relays. I'm quite happy with it.

-Scuzz

EDIT: Love the pre-killed monkeys, by the way.
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #6417
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's a sexy lookin Tee! Does that mean they are getting closer?
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #6418
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Custom Monkey !
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
i like this idea
Now this is Officer Thinking; one of these days when Greta gets painted, I may have to make use of this particular suggestion. I also need to think of a name for the Dead Monkey. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
Sundowner, I feel like I had to trek all the way from The Hub to The Capitol Wasteland to get to the end of this thread, but it's been a delightful read. When the conversation drifts into my areas of experience I'll share what I can. In the meantime, I will continue to hang back in the shadows and soak up the wisdom, discussion, and science fiction. If you're still looking for a headlight wiring upgrade though, I just installed a relay harness in my Cherokee. It was well worth the $35 + shipping, everything was plug and play, it improved the brightness of the existing sealed beams, and came with nice heavy gauge wire and 960W relays. I'm quite happy with it.

-Scuzz
It's getting to be a long trek, isn't it? I'm glad you're getting some entertainment and information from the thread, because that's what it's here for. Also, I most heartily appreciate the compliments and I hope you stay tuned for whatever craziness is sure to ensue; we're always up to something, around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEScuzzy View Post
EDIT: Love the pre-killed monkeys, by the way.
I love a pre-killed monkey, too...but the more I think about it, the more I realize that he really does need a proper name. I mean, every-f******-thing else in this thread has a name - including the stuffed crocodile and the folding shovel - so leaving the Dead Monkey without a name just seems crass. I'm going to have to work on this issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
That's a sexy lookin Tee! Does that mean they are getting closer?
As alluded-to, that's a custom monkey...but to answer your question directly: yes, they're getting closer. All that's really holding me back is having the extra caps to get them done, and if I'd stop buying things like inner C's and swaybars and projectors and stuff, I'd probably have been able to afford them by now. Speaking of affording parts...Today's Jeeping revealed an unexpected future expenditure; can anyone guess what I found when I pulled off the front tires to check my alignment?

Pictured: "Uhh...an unexpected future expenditure?"

That, My Pretties, would be the remains of a bumpstop...and since it's literally falling apart - I poked it and it protested by further disintegrating - it will, indeed, have to be unexpectedly replaced. Now, how this happened...well, I don't really know how it happened, to be honest, because I don't really know what would have caused the foam portion of the bumpstop to start spontaneously degrading. My best guess is that it took a few stressful hits last November, and sometime during the winter the 14-year-old material finally started to give up the ghost and crumble apart...and after that it was likely only a matter of time until the soft, chewy, semi-granular center was exposed. The coil springs prevent decent images of the trauma, but here's another attempt, nonetheless.

Pictured: The centers of TJ bumpstops are almost entirely unlike the centers of Cadbury eggs.

So, yeah...now I get to replace bumpstops...but since I was mostly set upon getting a 3" spring for the front suspension, anyway - a front suspension that is NOT properly bumpstopped at current, by the way - this is as good a time as any for them to be swapped out. I don't know that I need to go all the way to air bumps, but something a bit better than the factory offering might be useful...and while we're on the subject of things that are useful, "properly aligned steering" is pretty high on that list, right now.

Pictured: She bought me Jeep parts AND she can do a front-end alignment. Flawless Victory.

For anyone that's wondering about what's happening in the above image: Annabelle is measuring the distance between two straightedges, each of which is clamped onto the outside face of the front brake rotors. When the straightedges are properly centered and leveled and the axle is suspended at normal ride height with the rotors pointed straight ahead, a highly accurate alignment is possible; all you have to do is measure the distances between the straightedges at the effective "front" and "rear" of your tire - in my case, about 17" forward/rearward of the axle's centerline - calculate the difference between the measurements, and then adjust the tie rod and drag link as is needed for whatever amount of toe-in is desired. In the preceding photo, Annabelle was measuring at the effective "front" of the tire; in the following one she's setting up to measure the distance at the rear.

Pictured: I was good in a previous life.

As I expected, the toe hadn't remained where I'd previously set it, which was 3/16" in at the front; that's usually a pretty good setting for 35's on a stock-wheelbase TJ. What I didn't expect, though, was finding the toe set to 5/16" out at the front; I don't know how my tires didn't get more worn on the interior edges than they seem to be, because having the toe a half-inch out of its proper spec is pretty severe. Hell, I don't even know how it got that bad in the first place; both pinch sleeves were tight and the tie rod showed no signs of wanting to rotate without the help of a large pipe wrench. I suppose I could have wracked the steering outwards, somehow, but I don't know when it could have happened...but regardless, I'll be happy to no longer have squirrelly-feeling steering at high speed on the interstate. I'm also happy to have gotten Greta's old, faded tie-downs replaced with the new straps that I ordered.

Pictured: Orange hotness.

The old straps held up for a year of constant exposure, so I'm confident that these will do just as well; as previously mentioned, I saved the expensive stainless cam buckles and will sew new webbing onto them when I manage to find some.

Unread 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #6419
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mortified Monkey
Unread 03-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #6420
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mortified Monkey
He doesn't act very mortified, which is odd, considering that he got himself all pre-killed and stuff.

Beasley said that an otherworldly presence contacted him and suggested "Simmy"...which - strangely enough - I kind of like.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.