The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #616
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
On a side note, I've determined that I still prefer Chick fil A of ANY type over MRE's. Maybe I should rethink my emergency food stock pile.
Suddenly wondering how long a spicy chicken sammich is good for. I kept the anally explosive Taco Bell burrito in my fride for a week once but in the wasteland, without the use of a fridge that is not possible.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #617
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Okay, "Ballistic Wampum" is now The Awesome Phrase Of The Day. My compliments to you, sir.

Vehicle-mounted offensive firepower is not going to be a project that'll happen anytime soon simply because I have others that are more important...i.e. half doors. However, most of the decision-making is done...the only real question on our end is whether or not to make the jump from 5.56mm to 7.62mm. I think that - due to ammunition cost factors - we'll stay on the smaller end of that spectrum for now. We can always make a few changes later and jump up to the heavier NATO round.

P.S. If you're good, that last comment told you everything you need to know about what's on the drawing board.
I'm thinkin SCAR.... but maybe it's just because I'm biased.
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #618
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
Greta needs to become a technical with a rollbar mounted belt-fed 7.62 of your choice for proper size and volume distribution of high-velocity wampum nuggets. Beyond that, you'll need a personal defense weapon and a side arm. I think that 5.56 and .45 are clear choices.
You just brought Ockham's Razor right back into the limelight, and you also elucidated the biggest reason to go with one caliber or the other: there's no point in useless pluralization. In my case, a suppression-fire platform on a roll-bar mount would be for nothing more than senseless fun.

When you think of the logistics and the physical arrangement of such a device, you being to realize that it's a bit of an awkward situation with very limited uses...and although the project is already in the works, the more serious endeavor is the fabrication of a mount that will securely hold a longarm of some sort across the top of the windshield...likely on the upper crossmember of a bolt-in roll cage.

So, why one over the other? Easy: you don't need to uselessly expend ammunition in the Wasteland. To that end, the aforementioned suggestion of a bolt-action rifle in a popular caliber makes all kinds of sense: however, I'm not that good with a rifle and I'm only fair with a handgun...so I'll keep a business-length 12-gauge on hand in case life starts to get a little romantic.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #619
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You just brought Ockham's Razor right back into the limelight, and you also elucidated the biggest reason to go with one caliber or the other: there's no point in useless pluralization. In my case, a suppression-fire platform on a roll-bar mount would be for nothing more than senseless fun.

When you think of the logistics and the physical arrangement of such a device, you being to realize that it's a bit of an awkward situation with very limited uses...and although the project is already in the works, the more serious endeavor is the fabrication of a mount that will securely hold a longarm of some sort across the top of the windshield...likely on the upper crossmember of a bolt-in roll cage.

So, why one over the other? Easy: you don't need to uselessly expend ammunition in the Wasteland. To that end, the aforementioned suggestion of a bolt-action rifle in a popular caliber makes all kinds of sense: however, I'm not that good with a rifle and I'm only fair with a handgun...so I'll keep a business-length 12-gauge on hand in case life starts to get a little romantic.
A very good point. No use in mounting a LMG if there's nothing to supress. And, realistically, what's the point of going to the trouble of fabbing something like that up when the chances that it would be used for anything other than potentially recreation is on the slim to none side. Plus like you said, the logistics and physical impact of finding extra storage space for ammo, barrels, parts etc., fills it up quick. Of course, maybe yours is just the scout and Annabelle's LJ is gonna be the Gun Truck . Seriously though as I, and everyone else, have said, Love where this is going and it's tying in to how I've planned my Jeep to be. Not a designated mudder/crawler but an over-all performer. Benefit to me is that I'm watching yours materialize first and can learn from it.

Quote:
I'll keep a business-length 12-gauge on hand in case life starts to get a little romantic.
aaaaaaand sig'd!
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #620
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I totally throw out the Razor when it comes to firearms and employ the "More the Merrier" thesis in such instances.

I believe in diversity, so one can never have too many firearms.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #621
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasYJ View Post
aaaaaaand sig'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I believe in diversity, so one can never have too many firearms.
I think that you and I are going to get along just fine.

Unread 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #622
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

I think that you and I are going to get along just fine.
You can add me to that list. Rem 870 magnum. 18" barrel, extended tube. Only sidearm at this point is a bersa thunder 380 but its a heckuva great poor mans walther ppk.
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #623
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good thing this isn't twitter and I have enough characters to list them all. Current inventory:

S&W M&P15FT (customized to my liking)
ATI GSG522 (the little ladies gun)
Mosin 91/30 (at the gunsmiths as we speak)
Remington M887 Tactical
Glock 17
Ruger SR9
Ruger LC9
Red Ryder BB (for good measure)

And all the ancillary gear to go with the above

Unread 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #624
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the thread hijack. The only things I love more than the rig are the wife and guns.
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #625
Mitchell420tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga
Sorry for the thread hijack. The only things I love more than the rig are the wife and guns.
Im the exact same way, except I'm not married yet haha
Mitchell420tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #626
cycleguy04

S&W 686
Remington 700
Brescia 12 gage
10/22
SKS
Taurus PT92
RIP tricked out AK47 (left in the woods)

I must point out that the 7.62 has a certain fun factor that I have yet to see any other round come close to matching. The rounds are damn cheap too. God I miss that AK. I guess one of the downsides of having an armory at your disposal is keeping inventory...

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #627
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, the hijacking is no problem at all, guys. I'll get it back on track in relatively short order.

Unread 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #628
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I should really start a good gun thread one of these days.
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #629
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I should really start a good gun thread one of these days.
That's a good idea. Do it in General Jeep & Off Road Equipment and give it a catchy title and it'll get out of hand pretty quick.

Unread 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #630
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Remington 870 Magnum, 18" barrel, smooth bore (it's oldish...like...89? Old cruiser gun.)
Bersa Thunder .380
1959 Ithaca Model 37, 30" barrel
Marlin Model 60 .22

I plan to add a full size 1911 to that list, and probably an AK and a Mosin. :-)

Oh. and....um.... Jeep. Jeepity...Jeep jeep.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.