The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 405 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #6061
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I actually had a customer that had a couple bent wheels on his 2013 550 that had a peice of glass cut out with a bracket to put over the top of the wheel to make them into end tables. Pretty cool set up. You could also cut the face off of them and turn them into the heaviest and jeepiest clocks of all time.

357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #6062
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Things One Can Do With Only 3 Jeep Rims - Try to remember where you left the fourth one. - Start a trailer build, as mentioned. - Construct the worst set of steel drums in all of recorded history. - Buy a half-sheet of plywood and make a sweet coffee table. - Build a Tucker-inspired Jeep/buggy. - Prop up a Camaro in your front yard. - Buy another full set of wheels so that you can have three spare tires. - Hold a dozen monkeys underwater. - Play the most Ultimate game of Frisbee ever. - Trade them for a spicy chicken sammich. - Sell one, buy a bottle of Night Train, and then drink until you think you have all four. - Make them into a Valentine's present for a girl that you don't want to date anymore. - Hide them in Beasley's garage and wait for them to multiply.
As much as all these are excellent ideas, especially that last one. Also the clock face was a cool thought. I'm going with the trailer build as I am back home and have a garage full of steel. Now the only problem is I need to clean it out first and put down some concrete. But I will start a thread on it...
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #6063
jscusmcvet

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Things One Can Do With Only 3 Jeep Rims

- Hide them in Beasley's garage and wait for them to multiply.
Truth spoken. It is a little slice of jeep and tool heaven.
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #6064
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good ideas all around; I have to admit that holding the monkeys underwater was arguably the best of them, so I'm glad to see that it got some support. I also really like the hose reel suggestion, though; I may actually do that at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
As much as all these are excellent ideas, especially that last one. Also the clock face was a cool thought. I'm going with the trailer build as I am back home and have a garage full of steel. Now the only problem is I need to clean it out first and put down some concrete. But I will start a thread on it...
I love trailer builds; they remind me that I need to do one, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
Truth spoken. It is a little slice of jeep and tool heaven.
It really is a treasure house; he's got all sorts of stuff tucked away in that building. The storage spaces at Muppet Labs are slowly becoming similar, I'm proud to say.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #6065
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
I love trailer builds; they remind me that I need to do one, myself. D
Is that like a certain Girly Thing Bag that keeps popping up like a piece if the Titanic.... Poke poke
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #6066
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Is that like a certain Girly Thing Bag that keeps popping up like a piece if the Titanic.... Poke poke
Rumor has it that its hidden in my garage
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #6067
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Rumor has it that its hidden in my garage
Look in the wheel well of Greg's trailer! You never know what could end up in a trailer build, lol!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #6068
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Greta developed another bad coolant leak on the way to work, today; I can't tell where it's coming from, but there's coolant dripping off of the front and back of the oil pan and I can see a bit of coolant on the top of the water pump. I can't figure out how coolant got to ANY of those places unless it's coming from the underside of the thermostat or the top of the pump. I also can't figure out how another major leak just suddenly showed up, unless a gasket failed somewhere.

Unread 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #6069
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping, Updated: I did a quick pressure test and found that the leak seems to be coming from the vicinity of the water pump...but since it's on the underside I can't make a 100% verification. Anticipated solution: Hesco water pump and high-flow thermostat housing, Mopar thermostat, two new radiator hoses and hose clamps, new heater hose clamps and a couple of gallons of G-05. I'm not going to f*** around with this any more.

Unread 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #6070
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Today's Jeeping, Updated: I did a quick pressure test and found that the leak seems to be coming from the vicinity of the water pump...but since it's on the underside I can't make a 100% verification. Anticipated solution: Hesco water pump and high-flow thermostat housing, Mopar thermostat, two new radiator hoses and hose clamps, new heater hose clamps and a couple of gallons of G-05. I'm not going to f*** around with this any more.
I got the hesco pump and hi flow housing last year about this time, If it only seems to leak after you shut it off it's the water pump seal, it's making its way out the weep hole.

When I received them upon inspection looking down the heater hose connection neck on the hesco hiflow housing it was as if they didn't finish making it. There has a casting step about a 1/4 across the opening. There is plenty of material so I drilled out the neck with a 5/8-3/4 bit to the bottom of the opening and cleaned it up with a dremel tool and file a bit. Had a few sharp burrs I cleaned up too, all said 10 minutes of work if you have to look for the bit. Just something to look out for.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #6071
my98tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had one on a grand Cherokee that was all over the place and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It ended up being the freaking radiator cap.
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #6072
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Today's Jeeping: Greta developed another bad coolant leak on the way to work, today; I can't tell where it's coming from, but there's coolant dripping off of the front and back of the oil pan and I can see a bit of coolant on the top of the water pump. I can't figure out how coolant got to ANY of those places unless it's coming from the underside of the thermostat or the top of the pump. I also can't figure out how another major leak just suddenly showed up, unless a gasket failed somewhere.
I had my 4.0 leak I thought it was the water pump, so I picked up a replacement. Well when I pulled it off to change it I noticed the thermostat cover had a very small crack in it, I almost didn't see it. But that was where my coolant was going. Second trip back to the parts store, never fails. It seems like I always have to make the second trip no matter how much I think I have everything I need. Some gremlin pops his head out. Other news im waiting for genright to ship out spots new suspension parts.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #6073
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Reaching back quite a few posts...
Steel slings and chokers have nearly gone by the wayside in crane work & heavy lifting in the last 10 years or so. Take it from a former utility worker (everything up to 100 tons) that given the chance, guys will use soft, light and flexible tools over hard, heavy and painful steel. That being said, understand that when the company pays, working folks will take the best care of tools that take care of them. In everyday work practice, ALL mechanical connectors be they steel or fabric, will suffer wear and tear. The synthetics we used wore out faster than steel - not due to lifting stress, but due to dirt, sand, grease and other contaminants.
Was that a problem? Not really. Ease of use (by professionals) makes up a big part of the time (and cost) it takes to lift a 100 ton transformer to the top of a building.
Putting that in the context of "recreational use" requires a definite transition into reality. Big time thrashing and multiple winching moves the mark into near professional wear and tear. It also introduces the environment: playing in the rocks is not the same as a well planned, clean and purposeful work effort (with company $$$ backing it) with multiple back-ups and plans (A, B & C).
I also want to suggest (without prejudice) that the quality of skill and knowledge with which these efforts are approached has much to do with the successful use of any equipment.
Finally, given that there are no hard edges, I do not see any reason why Dyneema or other super-strong synthetic slings, or "shackles", or any other appropriately designed rescue/recovery tools would not work just fine.

Except of course, for operator error.
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #6074
zerocool1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
Don't even get me started on gear swaps and tire size issues. We had a client we just did a 6.4 swap for and he swore up and down it had 5.13 gears in Currie RJ 60's. It kept going into limp mode after reflashing with a ProCal once we hit 4th gear so we ended up having to crack the diff open. Guess what, 5.38's. But the computer was reading what the tires should have been turning at the 5.13 ration. It sensed that it was incorrect and shut everything down.. hooray. Now it drives great though.
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #6075
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Reaching back quite a few posts...
That was an excellent, thought-provoking reply; thank you! Here's a follow-up question for anyone that wants to jump in with some ideas: What's the best way to keep synthetic lines, shackles and/or Experimental Daisy Chains in solid working order and available for immediate use? I've considered making a dedicated recovery bag that contains a separate, partitioned-off area for metal parts, but I'm very much open to ideas...rather, I will be when I cease considering all possible meanings of the phrase "Experimental Daisy Chains"...

Also, Today's Jeeping was a parts order to Hesco for a water pump, thermostat and high-flow housing. A separate order was place to Amazon for two gallons of Zerex G05, and a third order will be placed as soon as I find someone that has Goodyear radiator hoses for a 2003 TJ; I'm seriously not going to f*** around with this anymore...even if it puts my AntiRock further out of reach.

Oh, one last thing...a little 4550 love for the hopeful win:
Knock 'em dead, Jay.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.