The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 400 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #5986
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's basically what I'm trying to achieve, and you're not the first to describe those springs in that fashion; same goes for the Savvy/Currie coils. They're both of similar price, so it would be a hard call.
I'll vouch for the Currie springs. I love them and it would be a very hard sell to convince me to run anything else besides them. I had them on Project Wrong Way, and now again on my new build. The only way I would run anything else would be if someone gave them to me for free to try out.

Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #5987
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post

I'll vouch for the Currie springs. I love them and it would be a very hard sell to convince me to run anything else besides them. I had them on Project Wrong Way, and now again on my new build. The only way I would run anything else would be if someone gave them to me for free to try out.
You don't happen to know the diameter of the coil wire, do you? I know I could call and find out, but I figured I could just go ahead and ask while it's on my mind.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #5988
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't happen to know the diameter of the coil wire, do you? I know I could call and find out, but I figured I could just go ahead and ask while it's on my mind.
I don't know. I emailed Currie a few years ago and asked them a bunch of questions about their coils before I purchassed them and they were nice enough to answer all my questions. I'm sure they'll tell you anything you want to know. I emailed a bunch of different companys and some were nice, others said they were a trade secret, and some didn't even reply.
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #5989
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Eibach is curries coil manufacturer. Doesn't really get much better

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #5990
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

PAC racing springs Jeepspeed progressive rate coils are available in 2, 4 & 6 inch lift heights with various spring rate options. Might check them out. PAC is a premium spring company and is what the majority of the go-fast guys use for coils, coilovers, and even valve springs in their high HP motors.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #5991
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know. I emailed Currie a few years ago and asked them a bunch of questions about their coils before I purchassed them and they were nice enough to answer all my questions. I'm sure they'll tell you anything you want to know. I emailed a bunch of different companys and some were nice, others said they were a trade secret, and some didn't even reply.
That's a good plan...I'll send an e-mail and see what they tell me. I really don't know enough about suspension design/theory - yet - to know what I'm doing, so hopefully they can help shed some light on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Eibach is curries coil manufacturer. Doesn't really get much better
I remember you and I discussing that at some point...and I've had nothing but good experiences with Eibach over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
PAC racing springs Jeepspeed progressive rate coils are available in 2, 4 & 6 inch lift heights with various spring rate options. Might check them out. PAC is a premium spring company and is what the majority of the go-fast guys use for coils, coilovers, and even valve springs in their high HP motors.
I have no idea as to why I didn't think of them sooner; I suppose they're just not on the big-ticket advertising radar, so I don't keep them clearly in mind. I'll take a look at what they've got and maybe shoot them an e-mail as well. Thanks!

Unread 01-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #5992
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz View Post
Have we given up entirely on this " girly things" kit or did I miss it during my adventures in working 14 hour days?
Quote:
I need to get my a** in order and post some decent content before the lynch mob shows up...
I am beginning to doubt the existence of said bag of feminine contents
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #5993
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Narrator: A year passed: winter changed into spring, spring changed into summer, summer changed back into winter, and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn... until one day...

He is packing it in and packing it up And sneaking away and buggering off And chickening out and pissing off home, Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #5994
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveyDM View Post
Narrator: A year passed: winter changed into spring, spring changed into summer, summer changed back into winter, and winter gave spring and summer a miss and went straight on into autumn... until one day...

He is packing it in and packing it up And sneaking away and buggering off And chickening out and pissing off home, Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge.
Bravely bold Sundowner rode forth from Camelot?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #5995
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Minstrel: [singing] He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin His head smashed in and his heart cut out And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged And his nostrils raped and his bottom burnt off And his penis...
Sir Robin: That's enough music for now, lads.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #5996
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Surprise Gear Review: Synthetic Shackles from Dragline Offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveyDM View Post
That's enough music for now, lads.
Quite enough, thanks very much. All of my components will remain exactly as they are...not least of all because I like them that way, but also because replacements are still very hard to come by. They're rather like Good Ideas, in that regard...and on that topic, take a look at these little things, which may be Good Ideas in their own right.

Pictured: No, they're not keychains.

Those, my pretties, are shackles...and they're unlike most any other shackle that you'll ever see. They're spliced - go sailing once in awhile if you don't know what a splice is - from SK-75 Dyneema - the exact same thing that a lot of synthetic winchlines are made from - and that means that they're light, soft, and ridiculously strong; the two smaller ones in the above photo are basic utility shackles with a 2,800-lb. rating, but that big one in the center is an 18,800-lb. model. The guys at Dragline Offroad sent me these in order to get my thoughts, opinions and reactions to them...and since they read this thread - no accounting for taste, there - they know that they're going to get exactly what they asked for. So, here's my first impression:

My First Impression: These are totally f***** brilliant.

Anyone with a TJ knows that the biggest challenge we all face on a daily basis is the otherwise-optimal size of the vehicle itself. TJ's are small, all things considered...and although their physical size is a massive benefit on a tight trail, it's also a huge hindrance when it comes to carrying the amount of things that you need to survive a disaster on said trail. The Wasteland is NOT an easy place in which to venture and in order to do so with any hope of survival we have to pack a pretty big kit...and in a TJ that kit has to get stuffed into a pretty limited space. Safety gear, recovery gear, survival gear...it's all necessary and every single piece of it - no matter how insignificant - adds weight, mass and bulk. It's easy to nickel-and-dime yourself into stuffing a few hundred extra pounds of weight into your rig or to simply not be able to haul everything that you need or want to carry...and that where Good Ideas like these Dragline shackles come into play; not only are they soft and flexible and easily stuffed into whatever carrying container or corner you wish to use, but they're far lighter than a conventional steel shackle. How much lighter are they? Well...

Pictured: Here's a steel shackle that I normally carry...

Pictured: ...and here's one of the synthetic models.

36+ ounces for the first, and 2.6 ounces for the second; that steel shackle literally weighs fourteen times as much as the synthetic one, and although we're admittedly not doing a comparison of identically-rated products you can still get the basic idea of the weight advantage. To put it more clearly: if I wanted to do so, I could pack twice as many of these things into the same amount of space as is occupied by any number of steel shackles, and the entirety would weigh seven times less. I can stuff these into the glove compartment, if I like...or in the map compartments in the interior door panels...or in a small bag in the center console...or in one of the pockets of my pants, if all else fails. Hell, I could even throw a couple around the rearview mirror and make use of a space that's traditionally only occupied by air fresheners and graduation tassels...so not only can I reduce the physical mass of the carried gear, but I can now locate it with more freedom. That's a win on all counts.

A word about safety: in addition to the weight and bulk benefits these shackles offer the same advantage over steel models that synthetic winch lines offer over their metal-cabled counterparts...namely, there's very little danger of them injuring or killing someone if they come apart under load and turn themselves into shrapnel.

On that note, I have to admit that I don't yet know how well these will hold up...but I expect them to do just fine; these shackles are similar to products that I've seen in the maritime world that take all kinds of hellish punishment, and that kind of environment is every bit as much of a Wasteland as the terrestrial one we normally traverse. Dragline seems to have done a good job in manufacturing them; the splices and knotwork are first-rate and the material itself is in top condition, so there's no reason to suspect a failure for any of those reasons. I suspect that the only real way to break one of these is to overload it, much like a winchline, strap or any other recovery product. Of course, they're just as prone to neglect or abuse as any other synthetic line, so I can't leave them lying in the rear floorboard underneath a folding shovel and a saw...but since they don't weigh two pounds apiece and break whatever they bump against, I don't have to.

Conclusion: These are definitely worth more than a casual look. I think I should try to destroy one.

To see what else Dragline makes and to get some ideas of how these synthetic shackles are operated and deployed, take a look at their website: www.draglineoffroad.com...and in the meantime, stay tuned.

Unread 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #5997
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Surprise Gear Review: Synthetic Shackles from Dragline Offroad

Quite enough, thanks very much. All of my components will remain exactly as they are...not least of all because I like them that way, but also because replacements are still very hard to come by. They're rather like Good Ideas, in that regard...and on that topic, take a look at these little things, which may be Good Ideas in their own right.

Pictured: No, they're not keychains.

Those, my pretties, are shackles...and they're unlike most any other shackle that you'll ever see. They're spliced - go sailing once in awhile if you don't know what a splice is - from SK-75 Dyneema - the exact same thing that a lot of synthetic winchlines are made from - and that means that they're light, soft, and ridiculously strong; the two smaller ones in the above photo are basic utility shackles with a 2,800-lb. rating, but that big one in the center is an 18,800-lb. model. The guys at Dragline Offroad sent me these in order to get my thoughts, opinions and reactions to them...and since they read this thread - no accounting for taste, there - they know that they're going to get exactly what they asked for. So, here's my first impression:

My First Impression: These are totally f***** brilliant.

Anyone with a TJ knows that the biggest challenge we all face on a daily basis is the otherwise-optimal size of the vehicle itself. TJ's are small, all things considered...and although their physical size is a massive benefit on a tight trail, it's also a huge hindrance when it comes to carrying the amount of things that you need to survive a disaster on said trail. The Wasteland is NOT an easy place in which to venture and in order to do so with any hope of survival we have to pack a pretty big kit...and in a TJ that kit has to get stuffed into a pretty limited space. Safety gear, recovery gear, survival gear...it's all necessary and every single piece of it - no matter how insignificant - adds weight, mass and bulk. It's easy to nickel-and-dime yourself into stuffing a few hundred extra pounds of weight into your rig or to simply not be able to haul everything that you need or want to carry...and that where Good Ideas like these Dragline shackles come into play; not only are they soft and flexible and easily stuffed into whatever carrying container or corner you wish to use, but they're far lighter than a conventional steel shackle. How much lighter are they? Well...

Pictured: Here's a steel shackle that I normally carry...

Pictured: ...and here's one of the synthetic models.

36+ ounces for the first, and 2.6 ounces for the second; that steel shackle literally weighs fourteen times as much as the synthetic one, and although we're admittedly not doing a comparison of identically-rated products you can still get the basic idea of the weight advantage. To put it more clearly: if I wanted to do so, I could pack twice as many of these things into the same amount of space as is occupied by any number of steel shackles, and the entirety would weigh seven times less. I can stuff these into the glove compartment, if I like...or in the map compartments in the interior door panels...or in a small bag in the center console...or in one of the pockets of my pants, if all else fails. Hell, I could even throw a couple around the rearview mirror and make use of a space that's traditionally only occupied by air fresheners and graduation tassels...so not only can I reduce the physical mass of the carried gear, but I can now locate it with more freedom. That's a win on all counts.

A word about safety: in addition to the weight and bulk benefits these shackles offer the same advantage over steel models that synthetic winch lines offer over their metal-cabled counterparts...namely, there's very little danger of them injuring or killing someone if they come apart under load and turn themselves into shrapnel.

On that note, I have to admit that I don't yet know how well these will hold up...but I expect them to do just fine; these shackles are similar to products that I've seen in the maritime world that take all kinds of hellish punishment, and that kind of environment is every bit as much of a Wasteland as the terrestrial one we normally traverse. Dragline seems to have done a good job in manufacturing them; the splices and knotwork are first-rate and the material itself is in top condition, so there's no reason to suspect a failure for any of those reasons. I suspect that the only real way to break one of these is to overload it, much like a winchline, strap or any other recovery product. Of course, they're just as prone to neglect or abuse as any other synthetic line, so I can't leave them lying in the rear floorboard underneath a folding shovel and a saw...but since they don't weigh two pounds apiece and break whatever they bump against, I don't have to.

Conclusion: These are definitely worth more than a casual look. I think I should try to destroy one.

To see what else Dragline makes and to get some ideas of how these synthetic shackles are operated and deployed, take a look at their website: www.draglineoffroad.com...and in the meantime, stay tuned.
While hanging them from the rearview mirror is possible, I'd recommend against it as one of the leading causes of failure of synthetic lines is UV rays.
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #5998
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While hanging them from the rearview mirror is possible, I'd recommend against it as one of the leading causes of failure of synthetic lines is UV rays.
Excellent point. I didn't really intend that anyone keep them there on a daily basis - it was more of an example of where something could be stored by way of creative thinking - but the UV issue is very good thing to mention and I appreciate you doing it.

Unread 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #5999
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Excellent point. I didn't really intend that anyone keep them there on a daily basis - it was more of an example of where something could be stored by way of creative thinking - but the UV issue is very good thing to mention and I appreciate you doing it.
They are pretty neat, as a former Boatswain's mate I can appreciate good rope and knotwork I'd like to see an abrasion resistant liner of some sort for use on a bumper cleavis. I noticed that in their pics on the websight they were using the synthetic rope shackle to attach a winch line to an actual shackle.

That's counter intuitive to what I would like to use them for. If I still have to have a normal shackle then I'd rather just attach the winch line to the shackle as that's one less point of potential failure. If they had some sort of horse shoe shaped cleavis adapter to prevent fraying on sharp corners that could take the place of the bumper mounted shackle that would be something myself and others would be interested in.
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #6000
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

That good sir is an awesome piece of kit!

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.