The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 393 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #5881
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
. I have to shrink them first so I will give you a pictorial of his travels in a few days, he might even be going on a long sea voyage south in a few weeks to The Land Downunder.....
That has much potential for Awesomeness; I, too, have lots of pictures to shrink down and post...I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #5882
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The land downunder is not exactly a quick trip from the middle east.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #5883
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Update: Much work and appertaining tiredness. I have pictures of axle progress, but I haven't sorted them out yet...mostly because I'm slack. Oh, I also have a red tailgate sitting on my porch; that's Beasley's fault.
Yes , I am an enabler .
Unread 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #5884
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I swear that I'll post a picture of SOMETHING. Really. I wouldn't lie about this.

Unread 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5885
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Today's Jeeping: I swear that I'll post a picture of SOMETHING. Really. I wouldn't lie about this.
Good lookin ladies working on your Jeep??? :-)
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #5886
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
today's jeeping: i swear that i'll post a picture of something. Really. I wouldn't lie about this.
Lies!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #5887
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This may have already been covered, but you just reminded me to look for the answer. What did you do to fix the gas puking problem? Seems I'm plagued by the same thing.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #5888
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveyDM View Post
This may have already been covered, but you just reminded me to look for the answer. What did you do to fix the gas puking problem? Seems I'm plagued by the same thing.
You'll need to get a replacement GM gas hose that has a flapper valve inside it. Best fix is to remove the flapper from the new hose and insert it into your OEM hose. Easiest way is to heat up the hose in warm/hot water to expand it a bit and insert the valve.

Quoted from: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...w-fix-1335243/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoppe715 View Post
look up GM TSB: 04-06-04-003A for a list of vehicles to try and score one from a salvage yard.

[UPDATE: Adding this list because it's looking like we're depleting the NOS supply of these old hoses. Salvage yard hunting may have to start happening.]
2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 GMC Envoy with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2003 Oldsmobile Bravada with 83 L (22 Gallon) Fuel Tank (RPO NNK)
2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2003 GMC Envoy XL
2004 Buick Rainier
2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV
2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
Built Prior to December 2003

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #5889
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thank you kind sir!

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #5890
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ
The land downunder is not exactly a quick trip from the middle east.
No it will be a slow boat ride for sure,,, especially my waiting time for it to arrive....
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #5891
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
That has much potential for Awesomeness; I, too, have lots of pictures to shrink down and post...I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Time, where does it go. Especially around the silly season....
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #5892
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I've learned my lesson about saying I'll get around to something: every time I do it, I don't get to slow down for five or six days. Here's some late-game coverage of the last bit of work I did on the HP44 housing.

So it turns out that removing the axle wedges is WAY easier than I thought it would be; it really is just as simple as cutting 90% of the way through the welds, beating the ever-living s*** out of the wedges to crack the last bit of the weld on one side or the other, and then prying them off and cleaning up the remains. I probably should have been a bit more careful with the whole "wear some gloves while operating a tool that spins an abrasive wheel at a couple thousand RPM" thing, but I couldn't really feel much with gloves on and I was more concerned about the housing than my fingers, so, whatever.

Pictured: Besides, you can buy new fingers for like, three dollars apiece, these days.

Although it's a bit hard to see in that picture, the important part of cutting the welds is to NOT angle the cutting wheel towards the center of the axle tube any more than is necessary; if you can keep the angle of the wheel very shallow relative to the nearest surface of the tube the chance for gouging the tube itself is minimized and the weld can be cut with minimal effort. Here's a better shot of what the shallow-angled cut looks like; notice that if I'd kept cutting or accidentally gone too deep, I would have only skimmed the surface of the tube and not put a deep slice into it that would necessitate repairs.

Pictured: Also, note the crack at the base of the weld...

The crack in the picture above comes from the repeated usage of a cut-depth gauge...a device which is known as "a big-a** hammer" in the common parlance. I'm totally not kidding about that, either; I periodically stopped cutting and gave the wedge a few vicious smacks with a 3-lb. cross-peen to see if I'd cut deeply enough to break the weld instead of cutting all the way through it. Once there was a paper-thin layer of weld remaining, a crack would start to form and I knew to not cut any deeper, and the result was an unmarred axle tube. I also found out that I only had to break the weld on one side; once one side or the other is cracked and broken, the other side will give way with MUCH less cutting.

Pictured: All that's required is a large pry bar and a bit of leverage...

Pictured:...and the wedge will pop right off.

After repeating that procedure three more times I was left with a somewhat-cleaner-and-lighter housing than I'd started with. I also figured out that making the very shallow cuts to remove the wedges had the unfortunate effect of leaving a LOT of weld still attached to the housing...but a hard grinding disc and an hour or so of labor took care of the extra metal.

Pictured: And it also made a horrific mess...but, whatever.

Pictured: ""Wedges? We ain't got no wedges. We don't NEED no wedges!"

After I got through with the remains of the wedge welds, I went ahead and ground off the sheet metal brake line clips and then took a 60-grit flap wheel to all of the areas that I'd worked on; I could have skipped that part entirely but I was having a good time and didn't have anywhere else to be.

Pictured: Shiny.

I actually got the remains of the carrier and the ring gear out, as well, but I figured I would save those pictures until I pulled the pinion gear out, which I haven't done. That's my next step, along with removing the desiccated remains of the inner axle seals; they're literally rusted/cracked apart. After all of that stuff is removed I'll take the housing to get cleaned up - not sure about how to do that, yet - and then take it to The UberMark for work on the inner C's, which I've decided to replace entirely. I found a good deal on some beeftastic ones from Crane, so I'll probably go with them. In between all of that work, I'll get the factory front swaybar removed - yeah, I still haven't done that - and get the AntiRock installed, and I'll also get an Annabelle picture posted because I'm starting to think that I'm going to get burned at the stake if I don't do so in short order...

Stay tuned...

Unread 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #5893
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

OH GOD IT'S BEEN SO LONG AND NOW YOU'RE DISASSEMBLING AXLES. WHAT HAVE I MISSED?

also, hi.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #5894
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did I hear mention of farming tools, bonfires, and sack cloth masks? We could throw rotten vegetables and scream profanities as well, but that might seem a bit over the top.

Unread 12-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #5895
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.