The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 392 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #5866
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Big and green? If you get angry do your clothes tear off? Always wanted to ask why the pants are the only thing that stayed put.
No more like big and green and heavily armed like the super mutants from fallout 3. And yeah, if the pants stayed kinda makes you wonder what happens to the underwear. gives new meaning to the phrase tighty whities.

Unread 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #5867
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm officially back among the living; don't tell anyone, though, because the holiday was actually quite nice.

It took me awhile to look over all of the helpful tips that people posted about gears; I'd be lying if I said I understood everything at this point. I do think that I need to procure a spreader, though; I'm sure I could easily do the job without one but I'd rather have it on-hand and not need it than to do it the other way around. Therefore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
A spreader is really easy to build. I am building one next week for my upcoming regear.
...I'm hoping that this is the case. I looked up quite a few designs and it seems that there are two basic ways to go about it: you either build one that bolts into the cover holes on the side of the housing, or you build one that clamps into the recesses that are sort of there for that purpose. The former is far more popular than the latter, even though it seems that it could introduce a bit of unwanted deflection into the housing...perhaps not enough to matter. I don't know which one I'll go with, yet...but either way I could use the welding practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirc02 View Post
I was just going to recommend that...saw this a while back and it popped into my head when this discussion came up, this particular one is kind of ugly, but did the job beautifully apparently...
That's the popular variant...and yes, it's ugly but it works. Mine will probably be uglier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Like said, it would be easy to make one. 3 pieces of flat bar, two bolts and nuts, some all-thread and two nuts for that.
That's pretty much the summation of it that I got, yes. A single bolt and nut on the outermost cover holes seems like it would work best for this design...but I still think that stretching the case along the central axis - i.e. the recesses that are sort of there for that purpose - would be optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn1972 View Post
Long time reader first time poster here. I started reading this thread last week and I've taken a wealth of information from it. Now it's time for the boys and I to get out to the shop and get the old CJ running.
Damn right, it's time for that! Glad to have you along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
Deal, on the condition that since I deal with radiation if i turn huge and green and stalking around the wasteland that you will do the same for me!
You know I hate a Super Mutant. If you're Hulking-out, though, I gotta let you live, 'cause the Hulk is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I'm in Dallas right now for training. Figured while I was a bit closer, I might as well grab some Shiner. It gets better the closer you get. Having one for you tonight Sundowner. To your health and happiness!
I'll return the favor with some Highland Winter Ale tomorrow. If I'm feeling up to it, I might scrap those axle wedges on Friday.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #5868
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You know I hate a Super Mutant. If you're Hulking-out, though, I gotta let you live, 'cause the Hulk is awesome.

Completely off topic but if that is the case I highly recommend the two issue graphic novel Future Imperfect starring Big Green himself.

I digress, back to topic!
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #5869
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Happy Turkey Day everyone! Eat, Drink and be Safe!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #5870
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Wedge-removal from an axle housing, and possibly a factory swaybar removal, too...all depending on whether or not I feel energetic, of course.

Unread 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #5871
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Feeling energetic?, Bah bah bah, Come on,man!!! You know who the star of this thread is. Where's the Annabelle?
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #5872
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i wish we could have gone on our magical breakfast date. loser.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #5873
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Have we given up entirely on this " girly things" kit or did I miss it during my adventures in working 14 hour days?

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #5874
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Heading that way after lunch , should I bring a camera to satisfy the masses ?
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #5875
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes!
You could take care of both issues on one photo shoot.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #5876
cycleguy04

I've worked with a Dana 30 and an 8.8, and in both cases, er, situations the carrier came out with little effort. I suppose, though, if you were setting up a new gear set a spreader would be needed.

I'm rather ashamed to admit this is the first time I've read this thread in quite a long time. I didn't read very far back, so disregard this if I'm rehashing previously articulated ideas...

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #5877
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Much work and appertaining tiredness. I have pictures of axle progress, but I haven't sorted them out yet...mostly because I'm slack. Oh, I also have a red tailgate sitting on my porch; that's Beasley's fault.

Unread 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #5878
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Look where the Dead Monkey is today... Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque...
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #5879
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Look where the Dead Monkey is today... Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque...
Ahem: "Pics or it didn't happen."

Unread 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #5880
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Ahem: "Pics or it didn't happen."
. I have to shrink them first so I will give you a pictorial of his travels in a few days, he might even be going on a long sea voyage south in a few weeks to The Land Downunder.....
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.