The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 391 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5851
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Difficult, but not impossible. The gear installs I've done take a pretty good amount of work to get the carrier in during final install and you can feel a pretty good amount of preload on the bearings. If you don't struggle getting it lined up and forced into the housing, you need more shims.

It's been awhile since I've looked at case spreaders, but they only recommend spreading the housing up to a maximum value, what is that value and would it be any different if you added that much shim and drove it in the housing without a spreader?

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #5852
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It would be nice if Dana axles used side adjusters. That would make it easy. To give you an idea how much carrier bearing preload you are supposed to have, some side adjuster housings spec up to 200 ft pounds of torque on the side adjusters for preload. I really don't think you can get that kind of preload by pounding thin shims between a carrier and the housing with a mallet.

Dana wants the housing to be spread up to .015" and THEN pound as many shims as you can into the thing. You are supposed to only be able to remove the carrier after the housing is spread, and then with pry bars. It's almost impossible to get too much preload, very easy to not get enough.

It it a huge big deal? No. Most shops don't use one since it take another 30 seconds to set it up and from the way factory carriers fall out when the caps are removed they aren't even tight enough from the factory.

If, on the other hand, you are pushing the gear set HARD, you will want as much preload as you can get to mitigate ring gear deflection, especially if your housing is prone to flex. This is one of the reasons the first generation D30 ARB failed. Not enough carrier preload coupled with a floppy housing made everything move around inside the housing flexing the case of the ARB and eventually snapping the heads of the bolts off.
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #5853
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I really don't think you can get that kind of preload by pounding thin shims between a carrier and the housing with a mallet.
I should mention, every one I've done is shimmed under the bearing, so there is no pounding thin shims in. I agree, you wouldn't get anywhere near enough trying to do that.

You make a fair point, it would be better to have a spreader so you can get the most preload, but I was just pointing out that it is done all the time without one, most people are not going to push the limits of the housing and gear set enough to where more preload would make the difference between the gear set holding up or not. I've yet to break a set of gears myself but we'll see what happens when I start using excessive right foot with the new powerplant
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #5854
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A spreader is really easy to build. I am building one next week for my upcoming regear.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #5855
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
A spreader is really easy to build. I am building one next week for my upcoming regear.
Should be amazing based on your build. And remember, easy is relative. I can easily diagnose a misfire on a 2013 BMW, but I don't know how to weld.

On a non jeep related note: its almost the 50th anniversary of Dr. Who. That's a big deal, and if you all disagree, I will forcefully remove myself from this thread with a Sonic Screwdriver.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #5856
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Knock Knock.
Who's There?
Doctor
Doctor Who?
Correct.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #5857
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I was just going to recommend that...saw this a while back and it popped into my head when this discussion came up, this particular one is kind of ugly, but did the job beautifully apparently: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...21#post2074421
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #5858
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, ARB puts it's shims on the outside. If you don't get enough preload the seal housing spins and breaks the air line off. The instructions require the use of a spreader.

Like said, it would be easy to make one. 3 pieces of flat bar, two bolts and nuts, some all-thread and two nuts for that.
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #5859
Finn1972
1980 CJ5 

Long time reader first time poster here. I started reading this thread last week and I've taken a wealth of information from it. Now it's time for the boys and I to get out to the shop and get the old CJ running.
Finn1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #5860
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Some sort of virus escaped from the Biological Research Wing and I've not felt well since yesterday. Comments and responses when/if I recover; if I turn into a ghoul or zombie, someone end it quickly, m'kay?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #5861
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Deal, on the condition that since I deal with radiation if i turn huge and green and stalking around the wasteland that you will do the same for me!
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #5862
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Big and green? If you get angry do your clothes tear off? Always wanted to ask why the pants are the only thing that stayed put.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #5863
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

I'm pretty sure there are some Deathclaws roaming around this area. Don't go into the Wasteland unprepared
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #5864
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in Dallas right now for training. Figured while I was a bit closer, I might as well grab some Shiner.

It gets better the closer you get.

Having one for you tonight Sundowner. To your health and happiness!
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #5865
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Having one for you tonight Sundowner. To your health and happiness!
I'm still not feeling that great, but I'm halfway-mobile again.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.