The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 386 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #5776
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Tease , just post it up .
Not until the procurements are official...and that's not me being a total d*****, actually; I just want to make sure that all the ducks are properly aligned before I make one of those "LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT!!!" posts. I will say this, though: I found a good deal on two things that I was idly searching for, and those two things can be best described with the words "axle housings"...and that is me being a d*****. Take note of the difference.

Also, I just learned that the word "d*****" is auto-edited, and that's just downright disheartening.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #5777
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dynatrac Pro rock D80 rear and Pro rock D60 front right?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #5778
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Dynatrac Pro rock D80 rear and Pro rock D60 front right?
Well, I suppose I could have gotten those if I wanted to go the cheap route...

Unread 11-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #5779
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Either fab 9S, Jk 44s or torq 14 bolt housings. the last one would definitely be unique.
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #5780
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you buying Nate's D35?

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #5781
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
That thing is priceless :-)
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #5782
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Well, I suppose I could have gotten those if I wanted to go the cheap route...
I have a PR 60/80 combo sitting in a crate right now in my warehouse. We ordered it to have in stock so if you want some I can get them shipped down to you
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #5783
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Quote:
That thing is priceless :-)
There are many D35's in the world, but when Nate's was made it was touched by Hephaestus, who said upon touching it "This s*** ain't gonna break, yo." And lo, the axle did not break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Either fab 9S, Jk 44s or torq 14 bolt housings. the last one would definitely be unique.
Not entirely wrong, somewhat less wrong, and incomprehensibly wrong...more or less in that order. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
I have a PR 60/80 combo sitting in a crate right now in my warehouse. We ordered it to have in stock so if you want some I can get them shipped down to you
In all seriousness, there's no denying that the Pro Rock stuff is solid in every possible meaning of the word, and I - like many - would be glad to have a set of Dynatracs under my rig...but since I haven't robbed DeBeers lately I don't have the caps to order them. Hell, I probably couldn't even afford the crate that they're in. I suppose I could filch Beasley's credit card, but I'm genuinely scared that Kimbo would kill me...so with that in mind, Today's Jeeping focused on looking up parts and assembling a rough build sheet for the ____ ____ and the ________ __...and seeing as how those activities only comprised 1% of a day that otherwise sucked a**, the rest of Today's Jeeping is going to be focused on sampling a care package that arrived at Site B today.

Pictured: Dario, you're awesome, buddy.

Unread 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #5784
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm changing my answer to a Ford 9" and HP D44 from a 77 F150.

At any rate, your current axles should fetch around $3500 - so that should be plenty of caps for some goodies.

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #5785
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Word on the street is that your getting an early release and heading North
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #5786
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm changing my answer to a Ford 9" and HP D44 from a 77 F150.
You, sir, are exactly right; you even got the year correct, which means that I can easily de-weld the radius arm wedges and get a nicely-linked front end and that you can get Bonus Points...even if Jankoid tipped you off. However...

Quote:
At any rate, your current axles should fetch around $3500 - so that should be plenty of caps for some goodies.
...I plan on using Greta's stock axles as an upgrade - upgrayedd - to Annabelle's LJ. I still want to get some decent shafts in them, too, which is why the HP44/9" build will take longer than it otherwise should; I won't recover any caps from selling what I already have on-hand, and I'm still planning on improving them for my immediate purposes. I honestly don't plan on seeing a lot of serious progress with the HP44 and the 9" housings for a year or so, but I'm okay with that; I want to take my time and learn how weld on an axle housing and I want to learn how to set up a ring and pinion. Axle-building is kind of a Black Art, anymore, but I think I'll be well-served by applying myself to understanding it. I've been quietly reading on suspension design for a year, now, and I can categorically state that I know just enough to be truly dangerous to both myself and others; hopefully, my forays into differentials will yield similar results.

Quote:
Word on the street is that your getting an early release and heading North
To Chicago, via Louisville...which are both places that I've never been.

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #5787
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No, just lucky guess. The 76-77 F150 set it the best with disc brakes and weld on wedges, but the earlier drum brake ones are fine too since you would most likely have to replace it all anyway. Those will do you well. That particular set was in the running for my Jeep until I lost my mind and decided I needed D60's and 40 inch tires.

Even if you aren't selling your axles, the ones in the LJ should fetch at least $600-700 for the rear D44- at least that's what I'm hoping it will in mine.

Setting gears up is easy. The most important thing you need is patience. That and a few bucks in tools and you are good to go.

Unread 11-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #5788
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, just lucky guess. The 76-77 F150 set it the best with disc brakes and weld on wedges, but the earlier drum brake ones are fine too since you would most likely have to replace it all anyway. Those will do you well. That particular set was in the running for my Jeep until I lost my mind and decided I needed D60's and 40 inch tires.
You did kind of lose your mind with the tons and 40's, but if that's the direction you want to go then I'll certainly not be the one to tell you otherwise; you have to do what you're happy with, man, and if that's building up for phodeez then so be it.

My plans for the HP44 are pretty simple...clean up the housing, truss it, and then spend the money where it counts: locker, chromoly shafts, decent universal joints, Reid knuckles and a big-a** pair of brakes. By the time I get that done I'll probably have a much better idea about where I want to locate my link mounts and what I want to do about steering. The rear is basically the same strategy: clean, strengthen, build. 4340 shafts for the 9" aren't easy to come by, but I'm not worrying myself over that particular point right now; I want to do 35-spline stuff, anyway, and those are retard-strong. Considering that I'm only going to be running 35/36/37" tires, I'll be in very good shape.

Quote:
Even if you aren't selling your axles, the ones in the LJ should fetch at least $600-700 for the rear D44- at least that's what I'm hoping it will in mine.
I figured I'd ask about that much for it, when the time comes; that'll help with whatever incidentals I need to drop Greta's into the LJ and get the lockers up and running...which shouldn't be that hard, pending that the wiring is essentially similar from one year to the next.

Quote:
Setting gears up is easy. The most important thing you need is patience. That and a few bucks in tools and you are good to go.
You know, I hear two different and divergent views on this particular topic: one is "it's easy if you take your time and like to be meticulous" and the other is "OH MY GOD DON'T F****** TOUCH IT OR IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE AND KILL US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!" I figure that having an axle or two on which to work - at a convenient height, no less - that I'm not in a hurry to finish is a good way to learn what I'm doing. I don't really know how to practice welding on a housing, but I figure I can find something that will approximate the cast material, and when I can make pretty welds on it I'll feel a lot better about life. I think I've already got a decent dial indicator laying around somewhere...but if I don't, I can find one. Like I said...this is a long-term project; I'm not in any kind of hurry. I have an AntiRock to do, first.

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #5789
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There are many D35's in the world, but when Nate's was made it was touched by Hephaestus, who said upon touching it "This s*** ain't gonna break, yo." And lo, the axle did not break.
You mentioned me in a post and even in a complimentary fashion. That's progress! For what it's worth consider this a public apology for me being a dick during a conversation I could have just as easily stayed out of. It wasn't necessary and only damaged the relatively harmonious vibe of this build thread crew we have. In my eyes at least.
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #5790
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

To Chicago, via Louisville...which are both places that I've never been.
Moving or travelling?

I'm actually moving to Cleveland in December - got to get in a trip with you to Uwharrie before I leave. And maybe steal *ahem* borrow one of those fancy brews you have there!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.