The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 384 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #5746
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm still worked up over that ledge that we couldn't clear, though...I know I can get make it if I get a touch more clearance and some dry conditions. I need to find a bumper that gives me a bit more clearance in the front and I need to get that transfer case skid out of the way to do it, though, as those are the pieces that will hang me up on ledge attempts for now.
Trust me, when it's dry you'll be able to idle right up it. You have plenty of ground clearance for that obstacle.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #5747
84jeepcj7rock

Sounds like a good trip. I'm kinda like Jankoid, I like to keep moving
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #5748
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's probably worth trying; it's basically the same process that I used to drop the knuckles when I did the brake install and it worked really well. Believe it or not, though, Greta's on-road handling isn't that bad...excepting low-speed turns in corners; I get a lot of body roll when I make a 90 turn at around-town speeds, but aside from that it's pretty livable. If it looks like the AntiRock is going to take awhile to procure, I'll find a set of factory-ish links or quick disconnects and install those, per your suggestion. Thanks!

no problem. I'll look around in my toolbox too and see if I have any spares. I seem to recall there being some in there.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #5749
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Trust me, when it's dry you'll be able to idle right up it. You have plenty of ground clearance for that obstacle.
Shh! I want a new bumper and a tummy tuck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
Sounds like a good trip. I'm kinda like Jankoid, I like to keep moving
I like to keep moving as well, but I also like to have a couple of moments to stop and snap a few pictures, here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
no problem. I'll look around in my toolbox too and see if I have any spares. I seem to recall there being some in there.
Awesome! I might have a line on some 3" springs and a bumper, too.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #5750
norgejeep06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

At no point in my life have I ever being wheeling without mud. Not gumbo, bogging, bottomless mud, but regular, run of the mill water-mixed-with-dirt.
I live in the northeast and whether it is a powerline trail, woods adventure, offroad park, or my driveway, there is mud. Someday, I would like to 4 wheel without having to spend an equal amount of time cleaning the "fun" off my Jeep.
The other day at work someone asked if I had been wheelin and I said "nope just left the driveway too fast."
Winter with all its glory is a whole different story. My orange Jeep is usually white with salt from Dec. through March. Also why I am looking into an Aluminum tub and a hot dipped frame for the long term.
I digress, the deceased simian looked good with mud on it. I am sure that "Greta" also looked great dirty.
How about Annabelle with some mud? Just hoping.
Carry on.
norgejeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #5751
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgejeep06 View Post
At no point in my life have I ever being wheeling without mud. Not gumbo, bogging, bottomless mud, but regular, run of the mill water-mixed-with-dirt.
I live in the northeast and whether it is a powerline trail, woods adventure, offroad park, or my driveway, there is mud. Someday, I would like to 4 wheel without having to spend an equal amount of time cleaning the "fun" off my Jeep.
The other day at work someone asked if I had been wheelin and I said "nope just left the driveway too fast."
Winter with all its glory is a whole different story. My orange Jeep is usually white with salt from Dec. through March. Also why I am looking into an Aluminum tub and a hot dipped frame for the long term.
I digress, the deceased simian looked good with mud on it. I am sure that "Greta" also looked great dirty.
How about Annabelle with some mud? Just hoping.
Carry on.
The mud does tend to get everywhere if there's the least little bit of water present...and yes, I think I spent more time cleaning than I actually spent wheeling. That's okay, though...I hadn't used a pressure washer in a long time and I feel more manly for having done so. I'll see what I can do about the Annabelle + Mud thing; she's supposed to help me take the swaybar off sometime this week, so be ready for that update as well.

Oh, also, Yesterday's Jeeping was me getting a screaming deal on a set of 3" Teraflex coils; they're not the Currie set that I was looking for, but they are a 3" coil and will allow me to see how Greta sits with a split 3"/2.5" set of springs.

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #5752
mudn_MI_rubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would wait to change springs till after the antirock install I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I agree the harshness is mostly tires. I changed springs and shocks with some improvement. Replaced the factory mtrs with load c tires more improvement. Metalcloak control arms quite improvement but still harsh over minor cracks manhole covers etc. After antirock that harshness is gone. Cracks rr tracks minor bumps all smooth no jarring impacts are felt. It still rides like a jeep (as it should) but feels like a Cadillac compared to the stock Rubi I started with. Just my .02 as always carry on will stay tuned.
mudn_MI_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #5753
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudn_MI_rubi View Post
I would wait to change springs till after the antirock install I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I agree the harshness is mostly tires. I changed springs and shocks with some improvement. Replaced the factory mtrs with load c tires more improvement. Metalcloak control arms quite improvement but still harsh over minor cracks manhole covers etc. After antirock that harshness is gone. Cracks rr tracks minor bumps all smooth no jarring impacts are felt. It still rides like a jeep (as it should) but feels like a Cadillac compared to the stock Rubi I started with. Just my .02 as always carry on will stay tuned.
That's very interesting; to what factor do you ascribe the improvement, exactly? How did the AntiRock make as much of a difference as it made?

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #5754
mudn_MI_rubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe just the stiffness of the factory swaybar. I still feel the bumps I run over with both tires at the same time but nothing like before. Stuff that only hits on one tire I hardly notice. I'm sure the factory sway bar is way larger and stiffer than it really needs to be but is used to create a safety factor for a short wheelbase high profile vehicle. I believe that stiffness slows the suspension reaction and tranmits more of the impacts to the frame and to the seat of your pants. I'm not an expert by any means but this is what I experienced.

Edit didn't notice you got a deal on the springs. By all means give it a go especially if you're a little *** high.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #5755
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe just the stiffness of the factory swaybar. I still feel the bumps I run over with both tires at the same time but nothing like before. Stuff that only hits on one tire I hardly notice. I'm sure the factory sway bar is way larger and stiffer than it really needs to be but is used to create a safety factor for a short wheelbase high profile vehicle. I believe that stiffness slows the suspension reaction and tranmits more of the impacts to the frame and to the seat of your pants. I'm not an expert by any means but this is what I experienced.
I've felt a better ride with it as well. More roll around sharp turns though
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #5756
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Edit didn't notice you got a deal on the springs. By all means give it a go especially if you're a little *** high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
I've felt a better ride with it as well. More roll around sharp turns though
Hmm...I wonder how it will compare to the complete disconnect...

Also, yes, Greta is a little high in the rear, so I think a touch more spring height in the front will be welcome... and if it doesn't work out, I'll be one step closer to starting on Annabelle's LJ.

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #5757
mudn_MI_rubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you driven disconnected with the JKS arms on? I seem to remember you unhooked the sway bar and test drove but can't remember if that was factory arms or not. Think about how hard you really have to push to get any significant body roll with the factory swaybar. That has to be restrictive to more than just body roll.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #5758
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you driven disconnected with the JKS arms on? I seem to remember you unhooked the sway bar and test drove but can't remember if that was factory arms or not. Think about how hard you really have to push to get any significant body roll with the factory swaybar. That has to be restrictive to more than just body roll.
I'm driving with the front disconnected, now... just not intentionally.

I did do a disconnect test a couple of months ago to make sure the swaybar wasn't bound up, and the amount of roll was as significant then as it is at current. It's not terrible, but I don't care for it; I like the firmness a swaybar brings to on-road driving and it certainly limits suspension movement...but regardless, I've still got a harsh ride, disconnected or no.

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #5759
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe you should swap the tires from the LJ and see if it is just the tires causing the harsh ride.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #5760
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Maybe you should swap the tires from the LJ and see if it is just the tires causing the harsh ride.
The wheels won't fit over my brakes.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.