The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 382 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #5716
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Mud is teh debil !
Yes. Yes it is. I'm already stocked up on Simple Green™ and lots of car washing soap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I absolutely loathe mud... but URE is a friggin' blast when it's muddy!
I don't know, man...mud really is teh debil. There's no arguing that fact. I will probably spend most of Saturday removing it...either that, or removing mangled metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
I just don't understand you guys's irrational fear/hatred for mud.....if you just get some tractor tires and give up that whole LCOG drive it on the street idea/thingy...you would find that tho mud may hate your difs and joints and bearings, it doesn't hate you.......cant we all just get along???
To be perfectly and offensively honest: in this little corner of the Wasteland, mud destroys parts and attracts a lot of low-watt bulbs. Sure, it's fun to play in, but for me - personally- there are too many downsides to actually enjoy the experience. If I'm thinking "F***, this is going to be a pain to clean up" the entire time, then I'm not really having much fun; conversely, thoughts like "Well, I'm going to have to fix the _______ now" don't seem to bother me. I suppose I'd rather spend time repairing/improving than cleaning...even though - in point of fact - I do a lot of cleaning.

Quote:
Are you freelancing ?
I wish; if I was, I'd probably be making more caps than I am at current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Seeing as how I recently returned from a week long Appalachian trail hike & depositing fecal matter in the outdoors is a popular subject while trudging mile after mile every day. That thing would dig a sweet poop hole in root ridden ground in no time flat!!
And when you're wandering about the less-trodden paths in the outdoors, every little bit of comfort helps. Between this and one of those cool Fiskars folding saws and a decent axe, one could create a pretty livable latrine. Speaking of those things, I probably need to get them packed up: Today's Jeeping will be going through a thorough checklist to make sure that Greta is as ready as she can be for a bit of non-paved action tomorrow afternoon. I suppose I need to get my a** in order and make up an actual checklist and get some progress made on my Trail Gear and Repair Parts load-outs, because - and this is brutal honesty, here - I really suck at driving off-road. I'm likely to tear up something expensive and pretty.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #5717
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping, Updated: Greta is pretty much packed and ready; she's freshly-bathed, all of her fluids are topped off, the gas tank is full, and everything seems in order. I've got a couple of gallons of water and a full change of vital liquids packed alongside the first aid kit, the TJ Toolkit and Judgmental Chicken, and I'll probably throw an axe and a folding saw and Small-Time Shovel in there somewhere, as well. Having all of this stuff crammed underneath the hard deck - and when I say "crammed" I really mean "lovingly placed into unobtrusive corners" - highlights the need for some sort of containment system that will prevent gear from getting jostled and unintentionally moved around; what that will end up being, I don't know. I almost think that something like a soft-sided tackle bag would work; I could stuff all of the oil and coolant and what-not inside it and then use the outer pockets for other stuff that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else...tire gauges and plugs, zip ties, etc. Thoughts?

Unread 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #5718
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

A soft sided bag with lots of pockets and a hard bottom sounds like a good idea. Glad to see you're finallly getting out there for some wheeling fun. Going any place in particular, or is it a covert op somewhere in undisclosed wasteland territory?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #5719
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Yes. Yes it is. I'm already stocked up on Simple Green™ and lots of car washing soap. I don't know, man...mud really is teh debil. There's no arguing that fact. I will probably spend most of Saturday removing it...either that, or removing mangled metal. To be perfectly and offensively honest: in this little corner of the Wasteland, mud destroys parts and attracts a lot of low-watt bulbs. Sure, it's fun to play in, but for me - personally- there are too many downsides to actually enjoy the experience. If I'm thinking "F***, this is going to be a pain to clean up" the entire time, then I'm not really having much fun; conversely, thoughts like "Well, I'm going to have to fix the _______ now" don't seem to bother me. I suppose I'd rather spend time repairing/improving than cleaning...even though - in point of fact - I do a lot of cleaning. I wish; if I was, I'd probably be making more caps than I am at current. And when you're wandering about the less-trodden paths in the outdoors, every little bit of comfort helps. Between this and one of those cool Fiskars folding saws and a decent axe, one could create a pretty livable latrine.
If you want a sweet lightweight compact saw check put the Sven saw.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #5720
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
A soft sided bag with lots of pockets and a hard bottom sounds like a good idea. Glad to see you're finallly getting out there for some wheeling fun. Going any place in particular, or is it a covert op somewhere in undisclosed wasteland territory?
I was thinking about you when I firmed up this trip. I said to myself, "Self, Bob is going to be happy about this. Well done." Although I usually disappear to Premises Heretofore Undisclosed, tomorrow I'll be at Uwharrie National Forest doing a bit of practice-driving, and I predict - you heard it here first - that by 2:00 in the afternoon Jankoid is going to be thoroughly fed up with coaxing me over obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
If you want a sweet lightweight compact saw check put the Sven saw.
I was rocking that baby back in the day in the BSA.

Unread 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #5721
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I was thinking about you when I firmed up this trip. I said to myself, "Self, Bob is going to be happy about this. Well done." Although I usually disappear to Premises Heretofore Undisclosed, tomorrow I'll be at Uwharrie National Forest doing a bit of practice-driving, and I predict - you heard it here first - that by 2:00 in the afternoon Jankoid is going to be thoroughly fed up with coaxing me over obstacles.

I was rocking that baby back in the day in the BSA.
If it all works out I am bring a newbie with me too . Jake is going to lose it
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #5722
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I do agree with the low wattage attraction to mud...and I do not and will not ever understand the whole "lets play in the hole in farmers johns field" theres no fun in that...my idea of what you would call mud riding would be a good mixture of terrain just with some twisty nasty wet stuff to navigate....most "mudders" simply block and body lift and add big tires.....its simple cheap and requires little or no actual thought in order to get out there...but some of us do actually build well thought out rigs and ive found its really more lack of due diligence and laziness that causes most failures on my rigs that and the sudden stop syndrome when you finally hook up a tire at 5000rpm....when I remembered to clean and repack my bearings and change my fluids the day after a particularly sloppy ride my rig would last, if not I had to replace them...but at less than 15$ a side it never seemed to bother me...and my JJ's have been impervious to it...as far as clean up goes I agree it blows monkey chunks...but then I rarely ever cleaned anything but axles and links and tcase....I rode almost every day of the week so I would have spent a seriously large small fortune...personally I would love to have 2 sets of tires for the big DJ, the tractor tires I have now for the mud and a set of 42" pitbull's for everything else...btw the dead monkey sticker looks awesome on my little dj....truly im not offended by your take on mud nor am I attempting to sway your views I just like getting everyones input.....im sure once I get to a place where I get to regularly experience a cleaner wheeling environment that causes white knuckles and pucker factor ill prolly despise mud too...lol...but until then ill enjoy what I got and try to keep rubber side down....and once again ubber thanks for the stickers

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #5723
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I predict - you heard it here first - that by 2:00 in the afternoon Jankoid is going to be thoroughly fed up with coaxing me over obstacles.
Quote:

If it all works out I am bring a newbie with me too . Jake is going to lose it
Oh trust me, I'm veeeery good at coaxing people out of their comfort zones. A couple of my wheeling buddies (who I believe Beasley refers to as my "fanboys") refused to hit Daniel until I passive aggressively insulted their manhood enough that they relented.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #5724
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
...but until then ill enjoy what I got and try to keep rubber side down....and once again ubber thanks for the stickers
Sound logic across the board, but you summed it up right there: you enjoy what you have and you do your best to keep on truckin'. And you're most welcome for the sticker; post a picture of it if you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Oh trust me, I'm veeeery good at coaxing people out of their comfort zones. A couple of my wheeling buddies (who I believe Beasley refers to as my "fanboys") refused to hit Daniel until I passive aggressively insulted their manhood enough that they relented.
I'm counting on it, man...just remember that my alignment is Neutral Evil: well-timed insults and taunts are my stock-in-trade when I'm not on good behavior...and when I haven't slept in four or five days (and I haven't) I'm usually NOT on good behavior. I also start living fast and taking lots of chances; today, when I was bathing Greta, I started looking at the front fenders and I thought "You know, if I crumple one of these with a tire or a rock or something, that's going to be a really good excuse to replace them." Hopefully, I'll calm down with a solid three hours of rest and some Outpost Taters around lunchtime, but...no promises.

Unread 11-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #5725
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have fun, take lots of pics and stay safe!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #5726
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Drive fast, take chances!
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #5727
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Uwharrie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Have fun, take lots of pics and stay safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Drive fast, take chances!
I can probably manage both.

Unread 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #5728
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Today's Jeeping: Uwharrie.

I can probably manage both.
Have fun!

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #5729
cycleguy04

Saw this and thought of you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DBpzoKIMo

Saw this and the rusty gears in my head started grinding...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iVsRXHZ_OY

I have a '91 Ranger in my driveway with a 4.0 coming out within the next couple weeks. Rebuilt 4.0's are going for 2 G's on ebay! Might be 5.3 time. Rangers are lighter than S10's if I'm not mistaken. Even better!

Funny, I sell the Jeep to save money, but I start modding my 2WD trucks.

Carry on.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #5730
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictured: Today's Jeeping.

Ever wanted to see what a ball joint looked like when disassembled? Well, now you know; you're welcome. Full coverage of this breakage - and others - will be posted tomorrow.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.