The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 379 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #5671
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

It's painted, for sure...looks like a grey metallic to my eye.

The D35 isn't the overcooked potato that it's made out to be, but yeah...44's. Yeah.

No, he's not rocking the 2.5 four-banger; careful observers will note the presence of a driver's-side exiting exhaust...and that's the only clue as to the fact that there is a Chevy 350 under the hood, which makes my face hurt. I'm not one to trash another person's rig, but I want to make it very clear to all of the slow kids in the class that THIS JEEP CAN BARELY HANDLE FLAT PAVEMENT, IF EVEN THAT.
And with the hp30 he can't be geared higher than 4.88. Doesn't look like he's driving it anyway. Pretty sure it doesn't have a rear drive shaft lol

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5672
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
It's painted, for sure...looks like a grey metallic to my eye.

The D35 isn't the overcooked potato that it's made out to be, but yeah...44's. Yeah.

No, he's not rocking the 2.5 four-banger; careful observers will note the presence of a driver's-side exiting exhaust...and that's the only clue as to the fact that there is a Chevy 350 under the hood, which makes my face hurt. I'm not one to trash another person's rig, but I want to make it very clear to all of the slow kids in the class that THIS JEEP CAN BARELY HANDLE FLAT PAVEMENT, IF EVEN THAT.
But! But! It has those fancy yellow coils for.. brake lines? My first thought was air lines, but now me no so sure.

And yeah, where's the rear DS? I guess maybe if he's the first the arrive and last to leave at his neighborhood Jeep meetings he can just tow-and-pose.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #5673
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNVa View Post
JeepinShep
If your planning a weeks worth of BBQ, so far you've got a good list going. Might want to check out Salt Lick, Louie Muellers, Blue Ribbon BBQ, and Pok-e-joes is pretty good too.
Just my two cents. Love some BBQ. Not sure what your taste in music is, but Austin's got some mighty fine country and blues music.

Lived there 4 yrs, just moved away 10 months ago... We probably won't have much time to hit the music scene, though - and have nowhere to stash the kids while we headed downtown to catch the live blues shows...

Pok-e-Joe's jalapeno cornbread casserole is 'da bomb', to borrow my son's phrase.

Salt lick... ehhh. actually didn't like them so much. (Lived right down the street from them, too).. and actually - Rudy's is behind Smoky's, Voodoo and Pok-e's as far as the family is concerned. But while we're there we'll probably hit it anyway. Haven't found a good Texas-style place here in Nashville ..
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #5674
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

P.S.

Sundowner. That 'thing' makes my teeth hurt... Neutral Evil indeed (and my favorite alignment to play
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #5675
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure that thing sees it's share of mud when it hits the mall parking lot after a rain storm!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #5676
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think you should do a side by side, this rig, or whatever it is, and greta. HOW NOT TO... HOW TO.
TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #5677
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
Lived there 4 yrs, just moved away 10 months ago... We probably won't have much time to hit the music scene, though - and have nowhere to stash the kids while we headed downtown to catch the live blues shows...

Pok-e-Joe's jalapeno cornbread casserole is 'da bomb', to borrow my son's phrase.

Salt lick... ehhh. actually didn't like them so much. (Lived right down the street from them, too).. and actually - Rudy's is behind Smoky's, Voodoo and Pok-e's as far as the family is concerned. But while we're there we'll probably hit it anyway. Haven't found a good Texas-style place here in Nashville ..

hahaha hes right that stuff is the BOMB. well dang I shouldve asked before I opened my mouth. Guess you know BBQ as well as anyone. I dont know how much traveling you do when you go back. but Viteks in Waco, and Schoepfs in Belton are my two favorites. I've never been a huge fan of Rudy's.

Have a blast going home!

I wonder how much that guy spent on that whole set up, only to realize he can never hammer down on that thing without leaving the rear behind... dang shame right there.
TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #5678
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
And with the hp30 he can't be geared higher than 4.88. Doesn't look like he's driving it anyway. Pretty sure it doesn't have a rear drive shaft lol
Well, a built V8 can put out enough power to make shorter gearing infinitely more practical, but that's hardly the object of the lesson. I don't think it's being driven right now either, but from what I was told the owner also has several full-size trucks that are built in roughly the same configuration...which really doesn't make me feel any better, at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
But! But! It has those fancy yellow coils for.. brake lines? My first thought was air lines, but now me no so sure.

And yeah, where's the rear DS? I guess maybe if he's the first the arrive and last to leave at his neighborhood Jeep meetings he can just tow-and-pose.
Most people won't understand what I mean when I say that these images were taken a few miles to the south of Lexington; you, however, now have all the explanation you need for all of the primary-colored horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
That 'thing' makes my teeth hurt... Neutral Evil indeed (and my favorite alignment to play
Evil for the sake of Evil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
I'm sure that thing sees it's share of mud when it hits the mall parking lot after a rain storm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNVa View Post
I think you should do a side by side, this rig, or whatever it is, and greta. HOW NOT TO... HOW TO.
I can think of plenty of more complete and better-built rigs than mine that would excel at such a comparison, but to be perfectly honest it doesn't take much in this case. All that's required is basic common sense, and to that end I posted those pictures because - at least in the case of half-a**ed, unsafe, unusable stupidity like this - I don't mind showcasing an object lesson. With that said, the lesson is this: If you want 44" boggers it's perfectly cool to run them, but unless you're building a rig that can actually handle them and make use of them, you're just doing something idiotic. Lesson concluded...time to go back to trying to get my compressors in place. Wish me luck.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #5679
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

all I can say is "YUK YUK YUK YUK "as in yucky yuk...15 yrs ago I might have thought that thing looked cool..but now..its worse than some of he rigs the Hispanics in my od neighborhood drove...im pretty sure that guy outclassed them in the instant auto depreciation category...just cus it can be done doesn't mean it should be...lol...and hey I ran 38's with 3.54's in my xj with a 30/35 combo for about 8 months before I turned the 35 into a pretzel...im still catching flak for the 43.6" r-1 ag tires on my 44 front...have only broken it 3 times in 6 yrs...and when it comes to offroad that's not a lot really...at least not the way I drive...but this isn't about me...its about that truck...did Obama help fund that build...its ridiculous, non functional, and bound to fail miserably...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #5680
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This was placed in my build thread. One question why are you selling your other rig. I know this is your ad only a great writer like you could have put down so many great thoughts in one place.

http://enid.craigslist.org/cto/41192...html%3C/div%3E
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #5681
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That ad has gone viral! I'm seeing it everywhere! LOL!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #5682
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Eh, that's kinda the type of people that live around here...
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #5683
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok I just had to go back and look at that ugly jeep again....there IS a rear DS oh boy...but at least I believe I have determined that the yellow coily things are vent lines..or at least I hope...however I could totally rock those boggers right after I cut em...and got rid of those aluminum wheels....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5684
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
This was placed in my build thread. One question why are you selling your other rig. I know this is your ad only a great writer like you could have put down so many great thoughts in one place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
That ad has gone viral! I'm seeing it everywhere! LOL!
That was well worth the read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Eh, that's kinda the type of people that live around here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
ok I just had to go back and look at that ugly jeep again....there IS a rear DS oh boy...but at least I believe I have determined that the yellow coily things are vent lines..or at least I hope...however I could totally rock those boggers right after I cut em...and got rid of those aluminum wheels....
There's no accounting for taste, guys...I just hate seeing something that's going to come apart at the seams if it ever sees any sort of real use. It's not my rig, though, so it's really none of my business besides being - as aforementioned - an object lesson in "s*** that doesn't work." However, in speaking of things that DO work, GRETA'S LOCKER COMPRESSORS ARE OFFICIALLY RE-INSTALLED AND FUNCTIONAL. Now, before the wild cheering and flinging-off of women's undergarments begins, I should say that the compressors are temporarily functional; both the wiring and the air lines are going to be completely redone in the near future because I'm not happy with the typical "cut the plugs off, extend the wiring forwards to the new location and then splice the plugs back into place" solution. I can say that I'm not happy with this solution because it's exactly how I have everything right now and, well...I don't like it; there's a TON of extra wire left in-place and it irks the hell out of me. So, instead of doing what I'm sorely tempted to do and adding a ton of wire-loom to the mixture to cover it up the new wiring pulls, I'm going to try and figure out the chassis electrical schematic and remove the extra wire from the harness...and if you think that sounds simple, you're either vastly overestimating my understanding of electrical systems or you're vastly more skilled with said systems than I am; unsurprisingly, both options are relatively easy to achieve. Actually finding and tracing the wires in question isn't that difficult - I got about half of that done today, already - but accessing them and then rebuilding the harness after I've cut it apart in order to move/remove wiring will be pretty taxing; everything runs over top of the transfer case and transmission and it's pretty difficult to reach, but in the end I think it'll be a much cleaner installation.

Anyway, that's where we are right now; pictures and a tutorial will be forthcoming.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #5685
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, no cheers and the undergarments stay on but at least it is once again operational temporarily.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.