The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 374 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #5596
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Crashing the Land Rover party would be hilarious...
Yes...yes it would. I'm seriously considering doing it, just to be Casually Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Also glad to see the pups doing good
I'm glad to see it, too; we're not really out of the woods, yet, but there's improvement and no truly bad signs, thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Huzzah for the pup! And in that picture it really looks like the croc is trying to dodge the inevitable drops.
There's nothing like dog slobber to take all of the affability out of a stuffed crocodile. It's almost as bad as feeding him after midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
It's not a crocodile, it's an affable alligator
Technically he's a very small example of a giant Miocene caiman, but since we're still dealing with crocodylia in general there's no point in splitting hairs...or, scales, rather.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #5597
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

GOOD Im glad to hare you have some plans to pull that lever next to your leg!
I am more glad to hear the pup is recovering well.

SO as I have mentioned my jeep interest has been pretty low recently but sometimes a part almost gets me excited again. I don't look at parts much anymore but last night had me browsing and I come across UCF's rockcrawler front bumper. MMMM tastey! If I remember correctly you too had eyes for minimalist front bumpers. I really like that UCFs rockcrawler cuts out the front crossmember and sinks the winch right down between the frame rails all cozy and snuggly. Granted its not the purdy and light weight SAVVY bumper but I think I like this more and the price is friendly as well.

Sorry to derail your current train of thought, but I hadn't seen this one yet and was wondering what you thought of it?

heres a link for the slower members of the class
http://undercoverfab.com/bumpers/438...nt-bumper.html
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #5598
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
GOOD Im glad to hare you have some plans to pull that lever next to your leg!
I'd like to have a cable shifter in place to assist in the pulling, but that's a project for...well, sooner than I might be planning, now that I think of it.

Quote:
I am more glad to hear the pup is recovering well.

Quote:
SO as I have mentioned my jeep interest has been pretty low recently but sometimes a part almost gets me excited again. I don't look at parts much anymore but last night had me browsing and I come across UCF's rockcrawler front bumper. MMMM tastey! If I remember correctly you too had eyes for minimalist front bumpers. I really like that UCFs rockcrawler cuts out the front crossmember and sinks the winch right down between the frame rails all cozy and snuggly. Granted its not the purdy and light weight SAVVY bumper but I think I like this more and the price is friendly as well. Sorry to derail your current train of thought, but I hadn't seen this one yet and was wondering what you thought of it?
I've been looking at that particular bumper pretty hard, so you're not derailing anything; at most, you're just bringing something up before I did. I got the tip-off on it a few weeks ago and I've been dedicating a significant amount of thought to it ever since; it's basically a ready-to-weld version of what I was cooking up for the front, and as such it's very much in contention. Keeping the front and rear overhangs tucked in close while still offering protection and not compromising the frame itself is what I'm after, and after looking over the UCF offering for the front I'm really only left with one question: how well does it fit? I know that TJ and YJ frames are the same external dimensions - 2.5" by 4.0" - but I'm leery of anything that fits multiple models, anymore. To that end, if anyone has some insight or reviews on it...I'd love to hear them. I thought about just contacting UCF directly and seeing what they have to say about it, but I don't know how unbiased an answer I'm going to get.

Unread 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #5599
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to guess the fit is going to depend on the prep. It does say you have to trim the frame to the same angle. So careful trimming would probably be key to success and a happy happy install. Well that and some GOOD welding. I like that the back is open for front axle pull down and will make washing it out nice and easy, and it puts a forward pull more inline with the frame rather than on top of the frame. (NOT THAT IT MATTERS VERY MUCH) I am sure it is going to decrease approach angle and will set the winch further down and out of the airflow to the radiator. But I am liking it a lot no matter how I slice it!

I have UCF's 1" alum skid plate and it fit like a glove, so I would expect anything else from him would fit just as well. Also, where it is a partial fab part, *cutting/welding*, Some "adjustment" should be expected.
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #5600
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am going to guess the fit is going to depend on the prep. It does say you have to trim the frame to the same angle. So careful trimming would probably be key to success and a happy happy install. Well that and some GOOD welding. I like that the back is open for front axle pull down and will make washing it out nice and easy, and it puts a forward pull more inline with the frame rather than on top of the frame. (NOT THAT IT MATTERS VERY MUCH) I am sure it is going to decrease approach angle and will set the winch further down and out of the airflow to the radiator. But I am liking it a lot no matter how I slice it!

I have UCF's 1" alum skid plate and it fit like a glove, so I would expect anything else from him would fit just as well. Also, where it is a partial fab part, *cutting/welding*, Some "adjustment" should be expected.
From what I can tell on the website - and that's not much - the only real "fitment" concerns I have are the areas on the outside of the front frame where there's a lot of fill-in welding; I'm not sure if that's because of dimensional differences between the TJ and YJ frame widths, but if that's the case - and I should look it up, I suppose - it'll kill the deal for me. Also, I don't know how the swaybar is impacted; in the website photos, it's conspicuously absent.

Unread 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #5601
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing its for "No sway bar" or "AR" applications only.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #5602
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'm guessing its for "No sway bar" or "AR" applications only.
I sent an e-mail asking that and a few other pointed questions; we'll see what they say.

Unread 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #5603
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The sway bar looks to be concealed by the square channel behind the winch, one thing for certain a aftermarket sway bar like the curry will not work because the tubular crossmember is removed. Im willing that Matt would be quick to respond *he has for me in the past anyway* if someone was to shoot him a PM

EDIT: looking again I may be wrong but for me its not that big of a deal I have a plush 2.5" suspention lift and I tossed the swaybar years ago and have drove without one since. a little more body roll and it has made passengers a little nervous but I know its limits. As far as I am concerned its a jeep not a sports car so the rear sway bar is enough for me LOL
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #5604
my98tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
- and another to an as-yet-undisclosed location in Tennessee.
Let me know if this is around middle TN. I would be honored to ride with you and Greta. But it would have to be somewhere for little jeeps as mine is only on 31's.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #5605
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
Let me know if this is around middle TN. I would be honored to ride with you and Greta. But it would have to be somewhere for little jeeps as mine is only on 31's.
I'll Third that...
All in favor?
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #5606
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj
Let me know if this is around middle TN.

Yes this^^^^

I have a small project that I need to test out somewhere.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #5607
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The sway bar looks to be concealed by the square channel behind the winch, one thing for certain a aftermarket sway bar like the curry will not work because the tubular crossmember is removed. Im willing that Matt would be quick to respond *he has for me in the past anyway* if someone was to shoot him a PM

EDIT: looking again I may be wrong but for me its not that big of a deal I have a plush 2.5" suspention lift and I tossed the swaybar years ago and have drove without one since. a little more body roll and it has made passengers a little nervous but I know its limits. As far as I am concerned its a jeep not a sports car so the rear sway bar is enough for me LOL
Here's the response that I got back, verbatim, after specifically mentioning the Antirock: "The crawler front bumper is not compatible with any of the aftermarket sway bars I've seen." That means, unfortunately, we're back to the f****** drawing board, and that I only get to phone it in with the belly skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
I'll Third that...
All in favor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Yes this^^^^

I have a small project that I need to test out somewhere.
Windrock, most likely, near Oliver Springs and some Manhattan Project historic-ness. Plans were informal until...well...now, but seeing as there's interest I'll do my best to help put something together. End of this month, first of next month, something like that. It'll depend on when people are free, mostly. That's pretty short notice, but that's really the soonest it could be; later is fine, too. Let's see what comes together: interested parties are free to PM me.

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #5608
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well that really doesn't bother me much. I could care less about a front sway bar, being without one for over 3 years now. However each jeep is going to be different when it comes to the front sway bar and just because mine is stable enough for me, doesn't mean the next jeep (or driver) on the street would behave similar without a sway bar. So I understand your concern there.

If I can get re-motivated on my jeep I am going to go a different direction than I started. I do like my rampage bumpers, but they are not what I want anymore. I want minimal bumpers for best approach and departure I can get. and I want to tuck everything I can up into the underside of the jeep as best I can. One mod I have always wanted is gen-rights middle body mounts that are raised 1", that's why I only went with a 1" body lift. I really want to go flare less as well but I don't know if I will be able to get away with it here in Utah.

I really need to look into minimalist rear bumpers.....
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #5609
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well that really doesn't bother me much. I could care less about a front sway bar, being without one for over 3 years now. However each jeep is going to be different when it comes to the front sway bar and just because mine is stable enough for me, doesn't mean the next jeep (or driver) on the street would behave similar without a sway bar. So I understand your concern there.
I really like having a swaybar on the street; I'd like it to be a touch softer and have a bit more wind-up, but overall I like the way the front end feels. Off-road, I want it a LOT softer...but I definitely want it present. I've done the whole "no swaybar" thing in the past, and after seeing the difference between a good adjustable-rate bar - Antirock - and no swaybar at all, I'll take the former option any day of the week. Unfortunately, that puts the UCF bumper offering squarely out of contention...and that's unfortunate because it was very similar to what I'd been thinking of doing. I'm really not sure why it precludes the use of any swaybar at all, but from what I can tell the rear plate is the issue; I'm wondering if that portion of the assembly could be modified, somehow...and now that I think about it, I'm kind of wondering why it's there at all.

Quote:
If I can get re-motivated on my jeep I am going to go a different direction than I started. I do like my rampage bumpers, but they are not what I want anymore. I want minimal bumpers for best approach and departure I can get. and I want to tuck everything I can up into the underside of the jeep as best I can. One mod I have always wanted is gen-rights middle body mounts that are raised 1", that's why I only went with a 1" body lift. I really want to go flare less as well but I don't know if I will be able to get away with it here in Utah.
I'm with you on the clearance issue; it doesn't take a lot of time on the trail to start figuring out that it's far more sensible to move the few offending pieces out of harm's way than to run huge-a** tires and mondo lift in order to monster-truck your way over a rock.

Quote:
I really need to look into minimalist rear bumpers.....
I'll make that decision easy on you: cut your rear crossmember out and replace it with an integral bumper/crossmember combination. After thinking really hard on it for a long time - like, for seriously, I totally got a nosebleed - that's the solution that I found to be the simplest and most sensible. I started with thoughts of a conventional rear bumper and went through a process of simplification that led me from there to a reduced-depth bumper, and then to a basic plate that was bolted to the frame. After that, I realized that there was little point in bolting a heavy plate to the frame if I could simply make the frame strong enough to be a bumper in and of itself...thus, the "cut and rebuild" idea was born. There are several threads on the subject; look them up and you'll get all kinds of ideas. There aren't so many that detail a similar process for the front...but if I can't find something I like that's ready-made, this thread may very well end up back in "Here Be Dragons" territory on that particular subject.

Incidentally, I really don't understand why the front crossmember chopping isn't done so often as the rear seems to be done, because it actually looks easier in the front than the back; there are no body mounts in the way, no gas tank skid to contend with, etc, etc. All you have to do is make provision to drop the winch down (if that's what you want) and thread it through the front of the bumper itself. Am I missing something?

Unread 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5610
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am wondering if a guy could just leave the stock swaybar position and simply weld the UCF bumper on farther forward than is shown in his pics.

The big thing about swaybars is with a little creative thinking a guy can go many different routes to make one work. you see it all the time in resto-mods. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine had a mustang sway bar that he modified to fit in his 78 F150 way back when.

The rear really shouldn't be too hard I have seen the plates offered by several companies but I don't like the unfinished look and I would like to have a little tow capability. Nothing serious just like a mini trailer like the ones you can see in "ArmyRN's ultimate harbor freight trailer thread" or possibly a very small pop up tent trailer (because I have my eyes on one). But the rampage bumper is actually pretty big and could be done better. And I think I want to get rid of the spare tire on the back, I haven't fully decided on that though. Im torn because I have used the spare once, in 4 years.

That also brings me to something I have been displeased with and really never thought about when I sold my hard top and went to the soft top. getting into the back of the jeep is far more difficult now. It used to be open the tire swing open the tailgate and lift the glass. Now there are zippers and velcro and plastic strips in the body and a tailgate bar. I mean its not so much difficult as just a hassle and I often find myself just trying to get things in through the tailgate somehow. I think a half cab and open bed is in my jeeps future if I can bring myself to love my jeep again. I would love a gr8top half cab, but they really need to come up with a soft top as well.

Or I just need to go back to fullsize GM trucks! HAHA

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.