The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 370 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #5536
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a LOT to carry, even if you have a truck to haul it in! My personal suggestion would be to keep the 9mm, the 12-gauge 870 and consider the .308 as optional. That gives you a sidearm in a common caliber, a reliable shotgun that could do pretty much whatever it's called upon to do, and rifle. If you had to pick just one, pick the shotgun; I'm very, very close to doing that, myself. I may well drop a 590A1 into some form of easy-access mount and be done with it. I know that Samuel L. Jackson suggested the AK47 as the non-substitutable solution for having to absolutely, positively kill EVERY motherf***** in the room, but in real life that honor goes to the humble 12-gauge riot gun.

Now, as for the 10mm Auto...that's not a bad round. It's not the wrist-breaking hand cannon that the Interwebz has cracked it up to be, but it's pretty decent. If you've never shot one, consider it to be a very hot .40...which - for those of you that don't know...is EXACTLY what it is. Again, I'd go a different route, myself, but it's a solid cartridge for those that want something in that genre.
Hahaha yeah it is a lot to carry. Overkill always seems to be just enough.
I'd agree on the trusty 'ol 12 gauge, however I think I'd take my 1911, but you cant really lose either way. As far as the 10mm goes, I've had a slight obsession with that cartridge since the day i shot it.

Ive thought about removing the visors, and seeing if i cant make a shotgun mount in their place, or to the sound bar.

TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #5537
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't like the 40 it 10mm because they are such pressure sensitive rounds. 9mm and .45 you can fire slightly defective rounds, or even rounds with a bullet slightly pressed in, and it's still pretty safe. Try that with a 40 and you could very well lose your hand. And seeing as great condition factory ammo could be hard to come by in the wasteland, you really can't beat a 9 or .45.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #5538
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I try to stick to current and former major military rounds. As such my possession includes chambers of .45 ACP, .22LR, 8mm Mauser, .45-70 Govt. and 5.56 NATO. (None of that .223 bull****)

I'd soon like to add a 12 gauge to the mix

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #5539
84jeepcj7rock

I love my 45-70. Although it kicks like a mule, with quality ammo you can drop anything within 200 yards. Wish it held more rounds.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #5540
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

870 Express with a little tweaking to make it a zombie eater. If you're not in the military, those rounds could be a little harder to come by for us hillbillys. 223 while a bit wimpy, is still a good round and easy to come by IMO.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #5541
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Point is, if it's chambered for 5.56 it'll shoot .223. If it's chambered for .223, 5.56 will blow the action out and burn the barrel

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #5542
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Point is, if it's chambered for 5.56 it'll shoot .223. If it's chambered for .223, 5.56 will blow the action out and burn the barrel
That makes sense. I have so much to learn!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #5543
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

5.56 uses a slightly larger bullet, as well has heavier weight. The charge is roughly 40% more volatile than .223 as well

Actions built for 5.56 are much more substantial and use military spec components and heavy springs. As well as cold forged chromoly barrels throats and bolts.

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #5544
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

While on the subject of guns, I'd carry a Glock 21 (45acp), Glock 17 (9mm), Rem870, and an AK platform. Reliability rules the wasteland.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #5545
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
870 Express with a little tweaking to make it a zombie eater. If you're not in the military, those rounds could be a little harder to come by for us hillbillys. 223 while a bit wimpy, is still a good round and easy to come by IMO.
I did exactly this with my 870. I've had the same 20 gauge since I was ten and a year or two ago I decided it was time to let it grow a bit so I went down to my lock Academy Sports+Outdoors and picked up an AR style collapsable buttstock and replacement foregrip that were designed for it's 12 gauge big brother. It took a little bit of trimming, but the stock fits perfectly and it's never been more comfortable to shoot or carry

This is the only picture I have of it on my phone... On a side note, I'm thinking about promoting the Winchester 37 12 gauge on the bottom to my so-called "truck gun" and cutting it down a bit. Thoughts?
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #5546
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It might help if I add the picture

forumrunner_20130927_112235.png
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #5547
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
5.56 uses a slightly larger bullet, as well has heavier weight. The charge is roughly 40% more volatile than .223 as well

Actions built for 5.56 are much more substantial and use military spec components and heavy springs. As well as cold forged chromoly barrels throats and bolts.
And to squash assumptions,
The 30cal relationship is opposite of the 22. A .308 has 24% more pressure than a 7.62x51.

So you want a NATO .22cal action, and a .308 Winchester action. It's all fun and games until you blow your hand off.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #5548
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Very good point

Unread 09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #5549
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

This isn't all accurate, at least for an AR15 platform. The difference in a .223 chambered rifle vs. a 5.56 chambered rifle is the chamber itself. Buy a .223 AR15, and put a 5.56 barrell on it, it'll fire fine, the components are all identical. The difference is in the cut of the chamber. 5.56 throats are not as tight, and the rifling engages later in the barrel. The reason for that is, if the same powder is used in a 5.56 cartridge, as a .223 cartridge with the same bullet, the 5.56 requires more powder to achieve the approximate 200fps faster muzzle velocity, thus less case capacity. .223 bullets when chambered tend to engage the rifling , while 5.56 do not. This extra resistance is not a problem with .223, but creates potentially dangerous pressure spikes, hence wider cut throat, and a few mm less rifling. If you look up pressure for both rounds they're max pressure is damn near identical because of these slight, but important chamber differences. As for bullet sizes, both calibers use the same .224 caliber projectile. As for different weights, the 5.56 NATO cartridges come in 2 different weights, XM855 is a 62 gn projectile while XM193 is a 55gn projectile.

Additional fun fact: Most commercial 5.56 barrels, and not cut properly. They're actually MUCH closer to .223 than you think, and if you get your barrel specked you'll see this. When I went through my armorer's school major name brand rifles needed to have their chambers reemed, and I saw the reason first hand. Too tight of chambers, lead to pressure spikes, and you suddenly have 5.56 cartridges losing primers into the action of your rifle. Out of spec barrels happened because chamber reamers wear down quickly, and their so expensive, manufacturers don't replace them quickly enough to garuntee spec chambers. PM me if you'd like to know company for certain that have this issue, and if you didn't spend 3k plus for your AR, it's probably out of spec. I will say this, we never saw a problem with Colt, they were all perfect . Probably because of military requirements.

Bonus fact: When firing a proper tactical bullet through ballistic jel, .223 tended to be MORE leathal than 5.56. The slower bullet expands more dramatically up close, causing more damage inside of a few hundred yards than the 5.56. The benefit to loading a cartridge to 5.56 velocities comes with super high ballistic coefficients, so they maintain velocity for longer distances, thus increasing lethal range. The XM855 does have a reasonably high BC, but who's really expecting to engage zombies at 600 yards with an AR platform.

My recomendation for a 223 cartridge: Anything with the Barnes TSX solid copper projectile. When we did ballistics tests in FBI certified jel, testing xm855, xm193, Federal tactical in 55gn and 62 gn, Hornady TAP (crappy useless horrible round, again message me for details), and Corbon TSX, the TSX Was the best, followed fairly reasonably by the Federal Tactical.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #5550
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, my spelling is awful. My apologies.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.