The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 361 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #5401
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering if there would ever be an evil dead reference. Just for that, you also now need to include an s-mart special boom stick.

357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #5402
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A good Fiskars axe will serve you well on the trail , and it doesnt take up as much hard to come by space .
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #5403
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
A good Fiskars axe will serve you well on the trail , and it doesnt take up as much hard to come by space .
I second that recommendation. I've got the middle sized one and it fits perfectly across my passenger side wheel well.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #5404
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Cons of a chainsaw - you have to carry 2-cycle fuel and bar oil which will limit functionality... and you have the risk of potentially messy, hazmat spills in the back ...
Unless you carry an electric one - then you only need a ac/dc converter, bar oil, and a 100' extension cord. (And sucks to be you if whatever you want to cut is 102' away)

I'll throw a vote in for Fiskars Axe as well. possibly coupled with one of their brush-hook machete blades for scrub cleaning and dual-wielding zombie dispatching.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #5405
DirtyDan_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My vote is for a large battery operated reciprocating saw, in my case the Hilti variety. Relatively lightweight, no liquid fuel to carry, blades up to 14 inches that will cut basically anything even if you have to go at it from both sides, a couple extra blades/Batts and a charger and you're good to go, charging no issue since you will already have your inverter on board
DirtyDan_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #5406
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Your other option is to cut down the tallest tree in the woods with a herring.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #5407
DirtyDan_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And then bring me a shrubbery!
DirtyDan_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #5408
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Lol!
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #5409
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post

He should just stay in bed in the mornings. Waking up is too much work already.

I keep a hatchet in my jeep for collecting firewood. It's more work, but were talking about wasteland survival, not backyard convenience. I assume storage room is limited, yes? Plus, a hatchet/axe makes a good zombie killing weapon. Remember, blades don't need reloading.
I have a tomahawk, could cut wood or a zombies skull.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #5410
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post

Why not a tomahawk AND an axe? I have both. And a very heavy-duty crowbar
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #5411
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

How about a flame thrower, I think there not represented enough. Just think about it the ability to torch anything and everything in your way. My favorite weapon on Farcry3
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #5412
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
How about a flame thrower, I think there not represented enough. Just think about it the ability to torch anything and everything in your way. My favorite weapon on Farcry3
But it's a horrible zombie killing weapon. If you set a zombie on fire you've only made it more dangerous!
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #5413
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

How about the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch? It's a one-shot deal, but it took care of that nasty rabbit...
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #5414
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

When it rains it pours; I got in 27 hours in two days, which is good for the bank account and bad for pretty much everything else. I do apologize for the lack of attention or updates, but keeping the lights on at Muppet Labs is starting to be a full-time job in and of itself. Time to address a few comments:

Quote:
You will need firewood, who wants to cut it with an Axe. Thats to much work already with the chainsaw.
Solid point, but there are other things that can also be cut with axes. Ghouls, zombie-like things, doors that are on fire, treacherous sidekicks, demon-possessed appliances...you know, the normal stuff.

Quote:
I keep a hatchet in my jeep for collecting firewood. It's more work, but were talking about wasteland survival, not backyard convenience. I assume storage room is limited, yes? Plus, a hatchet/axe makes a good zombie killing weapon. Remember, blades don't need reloading.
Now this is sensible; I was really debating on whether or not the baby chainsaw was still taking up too much room, but when I think on the number of places an axe can be tucked out of the way and secured, the balance gets tipped severely in its favor. Also, there's the gas/oil/spare chains issue, and all an axe really needs is a good sharpening stone every once in awhile. Okay, decision made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I was wondering if there would ever be an evil dead reference. Just for that, you also now need to include an s-mart special boom stick.
You'd be surprised, perhaps, at how much I love a 12-gauge shotgun for nearly everything; it's hard to find a more versatile weapon that's still affordable, economical to shoot and easy to feed if you're scrounging up ammunition. I don't think I'd go with the S-Mart double because doubles are for small birds, frosty mornings and gentlemanly outings...but a solid M590 with a few improvements could easily tempt me. I'd even back away from the AR platform if I only could choose one or the other to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
I second that recommendation. I've got the middle sized one and it fits perfectly across my passenger side wheel well.
Here's the funny part; I've already got one of those...and it's a pretty good axe, across the board. The only things I haven't liked are that it seems to need touching-up a bit more often than a couple of other axes that I've used, and that the molded head of the handle is prone to catching on wood if you're splitting logs...but I think they've reshaped the heads on the newest ones to take care of that problem. I've used the 24" model for a couple of seasons as a small splitting axe, and if I had to choose I'd get one that is a couple of inches longer; an axe of that size is still easy to store and the extra handle length imparts a LOT more force into the swing. 28" would be perfect, and 36" too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
Cons of a chainsaw - you have to carry 2-cycle fuel and bar oil which will limit functionality... and you have the risk of potentially messy, hazmat spills in the back ...
Unless you carry an electric one - then you only need a ac/dc converter, bar oil, and a 100' extension cord. (And sucks to be you if whatever you want to cut is 102' away)
I've got a baby Stihl that we short-barred - 14" - that's awesomely light and fun to use, but it still takes lots of oil and fuel and they are a pain to store unless they're tied down. I've taken to putting a milk crate in the back when I need to carry the saw somewhere...and come to think of it, that takes up a lot of room, too. What the f*** was I thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
I'll throw a vote in for Fiskars Axe as well. possibly coupled with one of their brush-hook machete blades for scrub cleaning and dual-wielding zombie dispatching.
Machetes don't have a lot of use outside of tropical zones because they don't cut hard material nearly as well as axes; their limit on most fibrous or tough materials is about 2" or so. Softer vegetation or tissue is where they really shine, which is what makes them invaluable for hacking up the undead...pending that you can put enough force into the strike to have it cleanly cleave a bone. I, however, would hope that I don't have to get quite that close to the unnaturally-reanimated...but that little brush-hook machete-like-thing that Fiskars makes is pretty interesting; I'll have to take a look at that and see what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan_ View Post
My vote is for a large battery operated reciprocating saw, in my case the Hilti variety. Relatively lightweight, no liquid fuel to carry, blades up to 14 inches that will cut basically anything even if you have to go at it from both sides, a couple extra blades/Batts and a charger and you're good to go, charging no issue since you will already have your inverter on board
I've been wanting to get an inverter installed for a LONG time for a variety of reasons...and Hilti does make some awesome stuff, for sure. I think I'm right back at the size of a chainsaw with all of that equipment, though it wouldn't require the liquid fuels, as you point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan_ View Post
And then bring me a shrubbery!
Are you two watching BBC marathons, again?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Why not a tomahawk AND an axe? I have both. And a very heavy-duty crowbar
Hey, I've got all of those things, too!

The small hatchets are pretty sweet; I have a 14" model that makes short work of most anything to which I apply it, and historically-speaking, personal-sized axes proliferated on this continent to a much greater degree than larger blades for some very sensible reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I'm on board with this because I like setting things on fire; I can't afford the fuel to run a flame thrower, but that's a problem for another time.

Quote:
But it's a horrible zombie killing weapon. If you set a zombie on fire you've only made it more dangerous!
Also a solid point, except that you get to set a zombie on fire...which is a phrase so totally covered in awesome that it outweighs the risk inherent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
How about the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch? It's a one-shot deal, but it took care of that nasty rabbit...
That would work, if I could count to three.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #5415
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Multipurpose tool.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.