The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 357 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #5341
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Work, work and more work. Anyone got thoughts on a minimalist front bumper design? As mentioned way back in the before-time, I'm going to do an integral crossmember/bumper in the rear...but I haven't put a great deal of thought to the front and I need to start considering it at some point. About the only thing I've determined is that I'll likely run an M8000 winch with synthetic line and that I don't want to hang a lot of bumper outboard of my frame; that should help to keep things light.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #5342
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Today's Jeeping: Work, work and more work. Anyone got thoughts on a minimalist front bumper design? As mentioned way back in the before-time, I'm going to do an integral crossmember/bumper in the rear...but I haven't put a great deal of thought to the front and I need to start considering it at some point. About the only thing I've determined is that I'll likely run an M8000 winch with synthetic line and that I don't want to hang a lot of bumper outboard of my frame; that should help to keep things light.
You should really read my thread more.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #5343
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Look @ the Savvy design. There's barely enough room to fit my swayloc. Very minimalist & function over form. It still looks good with smooth radius curves instead of mitered corners like most bumpers. I've never been a fan of the 2x4 box with chopped corners look though.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #5344
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This company has some really nice bumper designs.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #5345
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jcr has very high quality stuff. My brother runs their armor on his xj, and they can take a beating. Not real light though.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #5346
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is my recommendation. Its relatively low priced and keeping in mind the "safety" of things ARB crash tests their stuff. I like mine a lot.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12000_1001_07.htm

jeep-2-.jpg

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #5347
my98tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102

I second this because I want the order filled so I can get mine. It is aluminum too.
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #5348
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
It's sort of funny; about nine minutes after I posted that comment, I thought "Hey...wait...I'm an idiot." Then I went back to look and see what you had been doing, and...well...we know what happened, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Look @ the Savvy design. There's barely enough room to fit my swayloc. Very minimalist & function over form. It still looks good with smooth radius curves instead of mitered corners like most bumpers. I've never been a fan of the 2x4 box with chopped corners look though.
I really like Savvy's front bumper, although I would personally like it better if it had tighter radii instead of the wide stuff; I know that's not possible in 6061, though. The overall design is simplistic and elegant, though. Good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCREECH View Post
This company has some really nice bumper designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Jcr has very high quality stuff. My brother runs their armor on his xj, and they can take a beating. Not real light though.
I've looked at JCR's stuff as well, and they've got some cool designs, too. They are a bit heavy, but aside from the weight penalty it's a great suggestion. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveyDM View Post
Here is my recommendation. Its relatively low priced and keeping in mind the "safety" of things ARB crash tests their stuff. I like mine a lot.
I like ARB as well, but their front bumpers are heavy and WIDE...which is exactly what I have now and what I'm discovering I need to have less of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my98tj View Post
I second this because I want the order filled so I can get mine. It is aluminum too.
I'd do it in a heartbeat, if I could...but regardless of the fact that the price is right and the design is very nice, I still have to have the caps on hand to pay for it and I simply does not has them at current. Maybe I can sweet talk Danno into holding onto one for awhile, though.

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #5349
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

At one point there were talks of some homebrew bumper fab, was that just rear?

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #5350
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatetzz View Post
At one point there were talks of some homebrew bumper fab, was that just rear?
No, it was front and rear, but the rear design was already decided upon; the front hasn't yet been given a great deal of brain-time, and that was why I was requesting thoughts on the design.

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #5351
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I cant offer much advise seeing as I'm a JK owner now and apparently we just buy things But I know that you could fab up something like the ARB. Though I think a lightweight stubby would be better suited to the wasteland...

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #5352
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's sort of funny; about nine minutes after I posted that comment, I thought "Hey...wait...I'm an idiot." Then I went back to look and see what you had been doing, and...well...we know what happened, then.
Power trip.

Unread 08-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #5353
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really like savvys front bumper. I also liked the jeep "shrink ray TJ" that JP magazine built, they shortened the front frame on. I like the look of mine and I like the lights in them, but I find myself drawn more and more to minimalist jeep builds and I am sure my jeep would like the weight shaving. I have 2 problems though. 1 I dont want to lose the lights and 2 I think removing the weight would raise me up a bit more and create possible drive line vibes.

My rampage bumpers need to come off soon though the powdercoat (if you can call it that) SUCKS and my bumpers are rusting and flaking.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #5354
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
I really like savvys front bumper. I also liked the jeep "shrink ray TJ" that JP magazine built, they shortened the front frame on. I like the look of mine and I like the lights in them, but I find myself drawn more and more to minimalist jeep builds and I am sure my jeep would like the weight shaving. I have 2 problems though. 1 I dont want to lose the lights and 2 I think removing the weight would raise me up a bit more and create possible drive line vibes.

My rampage bumpers need to come off soon though the powdercoat (if you can call it that) SUCKS and my bumpers are rusting and flaking.
Rattle can black is your friend. That's what I do to all my armor. I think I've given up on looking into powder coating. If it was a garaged show jeep, yes, but not used like we use them. Rattle can is cheaper & much easier to touch up.

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #5355
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I cant offer much advise seeing as I'm a JK owner now and apparently we just buy things
Your words...

Quote:
But I know that you could fab up something like the ARB. Though I think a lightweight stubby would be better suited to the wasteland...
That's exactly my line of thought. I've got something like the ARB already, and I want to go smaller, lighter and less tire-shrouding; that will be a solid option for varied terrain.

Quote:
Power trip.
No argument here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
I really like savvys front bumper. I also liked the jeep "shrink ray TJ" that JP magazine built, they shortened the front frame on. I like the look of mine and I like the lights in them, but I find myself drawn more and more to minimalist jeep builds and I am sure my jeep would like the weight shaving. I have 2 problems though. 1 I dont want to lose the lights and 2 I think removing the weight would raise me up a bit more and create possible drive line vibes. My rampage bumpers need to come off soon though the powdercoat (if you can call it that) SUCKS and my bumpers are rusting and flaking.
We're lined-up in thought, here. I am leaning more towards minimalist as well, and I'm not a huge fan of powdercoating in damage-prone areas; it's too hard to fix.

Quote:
Rattle can black is your friend. That's what I do to all my armor. I think I've given up on looking into powder coating. If it was a garaged show jeep, yes, but not used like we use them. Rattle can is cheaper & much easier to touch up.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.