The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 348 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #5206
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just looked up the Ruger trailers.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #5207
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tonight's Jeeping: I placed a call to Blaine in regards to the suspension harshness, and he made a very astute statement: "There's something blatantly wrong, so we just have to figure out what it is." Since I've taken literally everything out of the equation except for the springs and - get ready for a shocker, here - the front driveshaft, I'm going to focus on those two items tomorrow. The springs will get a thorough examination and the driveshaft will be unbolted at the pinion and tied up to the motor mount; it's a longshot, but there could be an issue with the driveshaft binding. I'm also going to have Annabelle drive Greta around while I take a look at the movement of the suspension as it articulates on the road; this will let me get a good look at how everything is flexing (or not flexing), and will also probably involve me leaning out of a window to a seriously unsafe degree.

Unread 07-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #5208
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you borrow a Gopro from somebody. Or go redneck and tape a video camera to a broomstick or go jack arse style and lye on a skate board next to the jeep of corse travelling at a safe speed,,,,,
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #5209
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Just looked up the Ruger trailers.
Nice arent they ? If I had seen one before I started building there would be one at my house . Mike gave me a ton of pointers and ideas while I was building mine ,but its still nowhere near as nice as what he builds .

Quote:
Tonight's Jeeping: I placed a call to Blaine in regards to the suspension harshness, and he made a very astute statement: "There's something blatantly wrong, so we just have to figure out what it is." Since I've taken literally everything out of the equation except for the springs and - get ready for a shocker, here - the front driveshaft, I'm going to focus on those two items tomorrow. The springs will get a thorough examination and the driveshaft will be unbolted at the pinion and tied up to the motor mount; it's a longshot, but there could be an issue with the driveshaft binding. I'm also going to have Annabelle drive Greta around while I take a look at the movement of the suspension as it articulates on the road; this will let me get a good look at how everything is flexing (or not flexing), and will also probably involve me leaning out of a window to a seriously unsafe degree.
The driveshaft is a possibility I hadnt even thought of .Mine was shot at 80k miles and was making awful noises , especially when it would compress . I guess at some point it could have seized if I hadnt had it rebuilt .
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #5210
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Can you borrow a Gopro from somebody. Or go redneck and tape a video camera to a broomstick or go jack arse style and lye on a skate board next to the jeep of corse travelling at a safe speed,,,,,
For the nineteen thousandth time, I'm wishing that I had a GoPro or some similar HD camera. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice arent they ? If I had seen one before I started building there would be one at my house . Mike gave me a ton of pointers and ideas while I was building mine ,but its still nowhere near as nice as what he builds .
They really are; with a set of 35's, it would be immensely sweet. I can sort of see how they're put together from looking at the pictures; it's like a stronger, tougher, easier-to-build version of a 416 trailer. I doubt I could do as good a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The driveshaft is a possibility I hadnt even thought of .Mine was shot at 80k miles and was making awful noises , especially when it would compress . I guess at some point it could have seized if I hadnt had it rebuilt .
It could be binding at the CV; that's highly unlikely but I'm running out of possibilities...unless the suspension is physically moving too much, which I also doubt simply because it really doesn't feel like it's moving at all. So, Today's Jeeping will be disconnecting the driveshaft in order to take it out of the loop, and also giving the springs a thrice-over.

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #5211
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Springs.....highly doubtful. Front drive shaft.....I've seen crazier things.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #5212
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

How about a seized track bar?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #5213
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It could be binding at the CV; that's highly unlikely but I'm running out of possibilities...unless the suspension is physically moving too much, which I also doubt simply because it really doesn't feel like it's moving at all. So, Today's Jeeping will be disconnecting the driveshaft in order to take it out of the loop, and also giving the springs a thrice-over.
Bound at the CV seems unlikely, what is very possible is that it's seized at the splines. I guess that could cause a rough ride and would be very very, hard on your T'case. I'd pull it and see if you have smooth telescoping action.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #5214
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Springs.....highly doubtful. Front drive shaft.....I've seen crazier things.
Oh, rest assured...it got crazy. Scroll down to the pictures for evidence of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
How about a seized track bar?
I hadn't thought of that, but I can always pull it out and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Bound at the CV seems unlikely, what is very possible is that it's seized at the splines. I guess that could cause a rough ride and would be very very, hard on your T'case. I'd pull it and see if you have smooth telescoping action.
I sort of came to the same conclusion this morning, which was all the more reason to disconnect the shaft at the pinion and see whether or not there was adequate freedom of movement. So, I did exactly that.

Pictured: I even used my favorite little ratchet.

Pictured: And I made some reference marks, just to make sure it all went back together as intended. I'm so naive.

There was a lot of pressure on the shaft, so I gave the end of it a light tap with a hammer to unseat it, and then a slight problem showed up...and when I say "a slight problem" it should be understood that what I really mean is "a bunch of needle bearings."

Pictured: I don't think this is supposed to happen.

The good news is that the shaft moved without a lot of resistance - I could compress it about an inch or so and extend it by the same amount - and the bad news is that the cap came loose and fell off when I lightly tapped the shaft; I have no idea if I collected all of the needle bearings or not, because they went EVERYWHERE when the cap hit the floor. I've never seen one just literally jump off like that...especially not when the cap itself was barely pointing downwards. Since I couldn't be sure that I could get all of the bearings back in place and because I don't particularly like that solution anyway, I just pulled the other cap loose - which took NO effort at all - and used a bit of extra nylon strapping to hold the front driveshaft in place while I search out a new universal joint.

Pictured: I really didn't want to do this, today.

Since I already had the shaft pulled and tied out of the way, I decided to take a short drive...and the result is that there's no change in the ride whatsoever, so the driveshaft isn't the culprit, either. This is getting downright supernatural. Anybody got suggestions on a u-joint? Any reason to go with anything other than a Spicer greasable?

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #5215
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well Sundowner it seems you're problem has intrigued half of jeep forum at this point. Surely some one will think of it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Hull #233[/COLOR]
[U]Check out my build![/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/[/URL]
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #5216
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

spicer ujoints are the prefered for our driveshafts....not sure how much water you see but the sealed ones thare are not greasable is what i have seen suggested for our TJs.....
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #5217
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Well Sundowner it seems you're problem has intrigued half of jeep forum at this point. Surely some one will think of it!
I like the way that Blaine explained it: something is blatantly wrong. He's correct to say so, because there's no reason that 140-lb. springs, N66 shocks, Clevite bushings and D-range tires with 20 lbs. of air in them should be transmitting this much impact, vibration, noise and harshness. But that's exactly what's happening, on both extension and compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
spicer ujoints are the prefered for our driveshafts....not sure how much water you see but the sealed ones thare are not greasable is what i have seen suggested for our TJs.....
I'd be fine with either. I don't do water crossings that often, but there's a trail in the theoretically-near future that has a bunch of 'em.

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #5218
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the way that Blaine explained it: something is blatantly wrong. He's correct to say so, because there's no reason that 140-lb. springs, N66 shocks, Clevite bushings and D-range tires with 20 lbs. of air in them should be transmitting this much impact, vibration, noise and harshness. But that's exactly what's happening, on both extension and compression.

I'd be fine with either. I don't do water crossings that often, but there's a trail in the theoretically-near future that has a bunch of 'em.
then you should be fine with the sealed spicer ujoints then.....not sure where the republic of dave is but if you don't see a lot of mud and **** than that's the route i would go....
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #5219
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Avoid sealed. Trust me - my jeeps driveline exploded because of waterlogged sealed spocers not being tended to properly

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #5220
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Avoid sealed. Trust me - my jeeps driveline exploded because of waterlogged sealed spocers not being tended to properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
then you should be fine with the sealed spicer ujoints then.....not sure where the republic of dave is but if you don't see a lot of mud and **** than that's the route i would go....
The axle-end joint in the front is that weird 1310-1330 conversion joint, isn't it? 793x or something? Or is it the 212x? They changed at some point, yes? Or maybe it's the GM conversion joint. I can't remember.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.