The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 345 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #5161
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Not sure if you have seen the 37 quart ARB fridge, its a sweet setup friend has one. Here are the dimensions, External dimensions: H16.9' x W15"' x D27.8"' It sure is nice to be in the desert for a couple of days and grab an ice cold beer. I am saving my pennies for a 50 quart, hope to purchase it by next summer. Now that my rig is drivable, I will be starting on our paperweights soon and will keep you posted on progress.
You know I like me some paperweights.

I've seen the baby ARB fridge and it's oh-so-nice...and it's just a bit too tall. Depending on what we do with the back of Annabelle's LJ we may or may not have room for something this size; naturally, that also depends on whether or not I actually have the money to buy it. Things are tight right now, so I'm going to have to go with a more basic cooler and also content myself with some hopefully-not-too-expensive projects that have been on the back burner for a long time. With that said, here's what I got started on today:

Locker Compressor Relocation

I've been meaning to move the factory lockers to a more protected location for some time, now; with the tummy tuck coming in the not-too-distant future and the lack of significant Jeep funding, I figured that this is as good a time to relocate them as any other. I've also reached the near-end of the factory air lines' service life; when I was underneath Greta a few days ago getting the control arms installed I noticed that the ends of the air lines were yet again cracked and split and basically coming apart. I cut the damaged part off and re-attached the line to the locker compressor, but I realized that I was physically running out of extra air line after having done this a couple of times in the past, already. Since it would make NO sense to run new air lines and then have to move the compressors to make room for the tummy tuck - and thereby spend more money by running more new air lines to the compressors' new locations - I thought I'd just go ahead and get started on moving the lockers themselves. Removing them isn't difficult; I started by labeling everything in Sharpie™ so that I won't get overly confused when "cut the plug off and move it somewhere else" time comes along.

Pictured: And when I say "everything" I mean "even the tray that I won't be using for much longer."

Pictured: The plugs, however, WILL get re-used.

Believe it or not, taking that second picture was a lot easier than getting the tray itself loose. Once the plugs are separated and the air lines CUT - I'll explain those capital letters momentarily - there are only four small bolts to remove in order to detach the compressor tray from the transfer case skid. Three of these bolts - they require a 13mm socket or wrench, incidentally - can be extracted easily and without issue, but the last one is in a blind spot and is covered by clipped-to-the-frame wiring; this makes it - and by proxy, the compressor tray itself - only marginally more difficult to remove than a Catholic schoolgirl's skirt. Patience is your ally, here; a few minutes of dedicated effort with the proper tool and everything will be loosened and ready for removal...which is also true of skirts.

Pictured: However, if you remove a girl's skirt and see a bunch of wires and electrical connectors, you're probably making out with a T-X. Run.

I used a couple of pieces of electrical tape to temporarily tie the hanging plugs up and out of harm's way; they won't be in this location long enough to even warrant a cable tie, as I'm going to pull them out of the wire loom and extend the wiring harness all the way to...well, wherever the compressors end up. I really haven't figured out exactly where I'm going to put them - I was considering the ABS tray but I want to save it for a second battery or the OBA system - but the one place I know they will not be located is anywhere even remotely near the factory location.

Pictured: Also, they probably won't stay on the floor.

Remember when I said that one needs to CUT the air lines from the compressors? I wasn't kidding about that; the compressor nipples are made of a plastic that can be easily broken - that's a phrase one should never have to type, incidentally - and putting any sort of significant side-load on them could snap them off. If this happens, you either have to replace the pump or find a way to thread a new nipple into it; I've read more than a few install threads where this problem occurred...and that's kind of retarded because preventing it is very, very easy. All you have to do is cut the lines apart before you remove the compressors, and then carefully cut the remaining air lines away from the nipples.

Pictured: And as a general rule, be careful around any and all nipples.

The only "gotcha" is cutting too deep and scoring the plastic; to prevent this, cut with as little pressure as possible, and then gently remove the line. It should pop right off with no resistance, but if it doesn't, you can do a little more surgery - cutting a little deeper, rather - and remove it that way. If the plastic gets scored it probably won't leak - the compressors put out almost no pressure - but there's no reason to tempt fate unless you have to do so. After I got the remainder of the rubber air line removed, I gave the compressors a quick bath and inspection.

Pictured: Ah, freshly-washed parts...perfect.

Well, not entirely perfect; I haven't painted them yet, and I also haven't figured out one other puzzling question: how do the five wires from the compressor manage to transform themselves into only three by the time they reach the connector plug? Somewhere along the way we seem to be losing the green wire, and also one of the red ones! What the f*** is that all about?

I seriously have no idea about what's going on with those wires...and I also seriously have no idea about an eventual location for the compressors themselves. Suggestions? Stay tuned.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #5162
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You dont want to hear it , but the ABS tray makes a great home for the pumps.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #5163
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They are only tiny little baby pumps, tuck them up inside the rear fender behind the lights ????
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #5164
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You dont want to hear it , but the ABS tray makes a great home for the pumps.
I'm a lot more receptive to that idea after you having mentioned the Ready Welder. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
They are only tiny little baby pumps, tuck them up inside the rear fender behind the lights ????
This idea has a lot of merit; they are really small, which means that they can be tucked into out-of-the-way locations...much like they were from the factory. So, it looks like Today's Jeeping will focus on finding some potential compressor locations...and also figuring out how that green wire manages to vanish. I might also build a jumper for the locker switch if I feel especially productive.

Unread 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #5165
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm a lot more receptive to that idea after you having mentioned the Ready Welder. However...

This idea has a lot of merit; they are really small, which means that they can be tucked into out-of-the-way locations...much like they were from the factory. So, it looks like Today's Jeeping will focus on finding some potential compressor locations...and also figuring out how that green wire manages to vanish. I might also build a jumper for the locker switch if I feel especially productive.
just thinking out loud here, being as they are just small air pumps and longer lines means much more space to pressurize, will having longer air lines make them less efficient? meaning not engage a full lock. if so then wouldn't it make sense to have them closer to said lockers and the wiring be elongated? or is a moot point.
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #5166
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
just thinking out loud here, being as they are just small air pumps and longer lines means much more space to pressurize, will having longer air lines make them less efficient? meaning not engage a full lock. if so then wouldn't it make sense to have them closer to said lockers and the wiring be elongated? or is a moot point.
I haven't heard of that issue in particular being any kind of problem; the operating pressure in the system is very low - just a few PSI above atmospheric - so it's not hard to get them to engage, regardless of line length. However, if that information is in error, someone please correct me. My main concern is that because they are so small, I could theoretically tuck them out of the way somewhere and thus keep use of my ABS tray...but I also don't really want to reinvent the wheel if I don't need to do so. There's a time and place for being creative and custom and what-not; this may not be it, though.

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #5167
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

With the low pressure the stock lines require I doubt line length will come into play,not to derail but you mentioned a ready welder? I have always been interested in one, you also mentioned Beasley with the ready welder. Is there another plan for that ABS tray?

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #5168
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With the low pressure the stock lines require I doubt line length will come into play,not to derail but you mentioned a ready welder? I have always been interested in one, you also mentioned Beasley with the ready welder. Is there another plan for that ABS tray?
You know how this thread works, man...derails happen all the time. Most of them are my fault.

I mentioned a ready welder because Beasley suggested that I go with that instead of a twin-battery setup if I was looking to do some stranded-in-the-Wasteland-welding. Until that moment I wasn't really familiar with the Ready Welder, but after examining it I really like the idea; it would be MUCH nicer than the makeshift 24v stick welding made possible by using two batteries wired together. However, even having a Ready Welder really doesn't alleviate me from the two-battery situation because I'd still like to have a second one for other purposes...and if I go that route I'll probably locate the second cell near the ABS tray. I've never liked cramming two batteries over on the passenger side, one on top of the other; I'd rather distribute the weight a bit...and if I can manage to move/alter the A/C lines a bit, I could conceivably run a pair of 65's, or something larger. So, both the twin-battery setup and the on-board air situation (A/C lines) and the engine swap are somewhat bearing on where these little compressors end up.

Unread 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #5169
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You know how this thread works, man...derails happen all the time. Most of them are my fault.

I mentioned a ready welder because Beasley suggested that I go with that instead of a twin-battery setup if I was looking to do some stranded-in-the-Wasteland-welding. Until that moment I wasn't really familiar with the Ready Welder, but after examining it I really like the idea; it would be MUCH nicer than the makeshift 24v stick welding made possible by using two batteries wired together. However, even having a Ready Welder really doesn't alleviate me from the two-battery situation because I'd still like to have a second one for other purposes...and if I go that route I'll probably locate the second cell near the ABS tray. I've never liked cramming two batteries over on the passenger side, one on top of the other; I'd rather distribute the weight a bit...and if I can manage to move/alter the A/C lines a bit, I could conceivably run a pair of 65's, or something larger. So, both the twin-battery setup and the on-board air situation (A/C lines) and the engine swap are somewhat bearing on where these little compressors end up.
Have you considered putting the second battery in the back instead of under the hood?

I mounted my pumps on the ABS tray. Came out good and have no problems with either the front or rear pump engaging their locker. I have a pic around somewhere I'll see if I can dig it up.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #5170
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
Have you considered putting the second battery in the back instead of under the hood?

I mounted my pumps on the ABS tray. Came out good and have no problems with either the front or rear pump engaging their locker. I have a pic around somewhere I'll see if I can dig it up.
I mounted my ARB pump on the ABS tray after looking at multiple locations, its so small and the tray would make a great location for a second battery but the ease of running airlines to both lockers and into my dash mounted pressure gauge helped push me over the edge. A second battery is on my list also and someday a ready welder, I might just forgo the Miller 211 I was looking at and get a ready welder instead. The second battery would be easy to mount in the bed.

You have me rethinking my welder needs/purchase

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #5171
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will add this to the discussion about the ready welder . I had one and it worked great with flux core wire , it really had a lot of power for what it was . With that said I sold it because it never got used , but it was a neat tool to have .
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #5172
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually, I considered putting one in each footwell, behind the seats...but I use that space for stuff all the time, so I thought that keeping them both against the firewall would be simpler and easier. Also, less expensive wire would be required.

Quote:
Yeah, if you can find that, I'd be quite interested in seeing it.

Quote:
I mounted my ARB pump on the ABS tray after looking at multiple locations, its so small and the tray would make a great location for a second battery but the ease of running airlines to both lockers and into my dash mounted pressure gauge helped push me over the edge. A second battery is on my list also and someday a ready welder, I might just forgo the Miller 211 I was looking at and get a ready welder instead. The second battery would be easy to mount in the bed.
Yeah, the tray is the obvious and smart location...I just hate to waste it. Real estate in the cargo bed is premium, though...which is why I was considering some out-of-the-way locations for the compressors.

Quote:
You have me rethinking my welder needs/purchase
So entirely not my fault. Blame Beasley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I will add this to the discussion about the ready welder . I had one and it worked great with flux core wire , it really had a lot of power for what it was . With that said I sold it because it never got used , but it was a neat tool to have .
The basic flux-core setup was what I looked at last night after you suggested it; for the size and weight, I'd rather have one available than not even if I don't really foresee the necessity.

Unread 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #5173
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping will consist of finding replacement lines for the compressors at the very least. If I decide on a location, I'll cut the plugs off of the harness and start relocating stuff.

Unread 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #5174
janesy86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What about hanging them from the strut that goes from the firewall to the grille. Ive seen it done before and it looks like a great solution.

Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
I relocated mine a while ago. I didn't want to use the ABS tray so I did this:

Hylined '03 Rubi Build

Western MA 4x4
janesy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #5175
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm loving this thread thanks for making it so entertaining!
clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.