The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 344 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #5146
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Thats awesome.
Yes, it is.

Today's Jeeping will focus on forcibly removing the now-very-much-in-the-way mounting clips on the rear brake lines; if Vise Grips don't do the trick, I've still got a bunch of cutting discs for the grinder...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #5147
NuclearRedneck
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I also need to find a decent cooler that's less than 15" high, and less than the $200+ that a Yeti will cost. One simply cannot go on a midsummer trail run without adequately chilled beverages; it's just not done.

Something like this work for you?

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/...d-Breeze-9-Red
NuclearRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #5148
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRedneck View Post
Something like this work for you?
That's approximately the size that I'm talking about...if not slightly wider and deeper.

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #5149
tinktinkTJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fantastic thread Sundowner, I've been lurking since the beginning but haven't been able to contribute until now. I bought this cooler a few months ago and love it. My only complaint is it doesn't have a latch to hold it closed but that's an easy fix. Keep up the good work! http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/...arine-Ultra-25
tinktinkTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #5150
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ESE4Y8/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMB8QK/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMCLMU/
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #5151
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinktinkTJ View Post
Fantastic thread Sundowner, I've been lurking since the beginning but haven't been able to contribute until now. I bought this cooler a few months ago and love it. My only complaint is it doesn't have a latch to hold it closed but that's an easy fix. Keep up the good work! http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/...arine-Ultra-25
Well I'm certainly glad that you contributed now! Awesome suggestion...that might get me by until I win the lottery and can afford one of the expensive, keeps-things-cold-forever models.

And if that one doesn't work, then one of these will! I love the flat, stackable ones...and the fold-together thing is pretty cool, too.

Today's Jeeping was pretty nonexistent because I am - sadly - completely out of caps. Best I can do is hope that I can hit up URE sometime soon and get some wheeling pictures posted.

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #5152
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Today's Jeeping was pretty nonexistent because I am - sadly - completely out of caps. Best I can do is hope that I can hit up URE sometime soon and get some wheeling pictures posted.
Similar to my jeeping as of late . Give me six weeks and we will do the Hibernation run with Jake
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #5153
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My parents are moving into the Carolina's within the next year... Guess I'll be wheeling with some of you guys soon.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #5154
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

I really want one of the ARB freezers for the back of my jeep but A) they're too expensive and B) I wouldn't have room for anything else.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #5155
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Similar to my jeeping as of late . Give me six weeks and we will do the Hibernation run with Jake
I think I can manage that. I'll see if I can get a cooler by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
I really want one of the ARB freezers for the back of my jeep but A) they're too expensive and B) I wouldn't have room for anything else.
The "no room for anything else" is the part that I don't care for; if they had a mini-sized model I'd be saving my money for it. As far as the expense itself is concerned...yeah, they're pricey, but I think an ice-cold Shiner would be worth the cost after a couple hard, hot days of Wastelanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
My parents are moving into the Carolina's within the next year... Guess I'll be wheeling with some of you guys soon.
Sweet!

Unread 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5156
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I still haven't gotten around to taking off those brake line clips, so I really need to do that...but I think I'm going to content myself with making a more comprehensive evaluation of what's involved in strengthening/clearancing Greta's control arm brackets; every time I look at them I think "wow, that's a lot of metal that's too thin and also in the wrong place." I may go with the "weld on a washer and grind away all of the extra material" method because 1) it's inexpensive, 2) it works, and 3) my welding skillz are almost as good as my sheet metal skillz.

Unread 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5157
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping, For Real: Brake clip removal.

Unread 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #5158
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Brake Line Clip Removal

Pictured: See? Told you so.

These things aren't difficult to remove, but - as is evidenced from all of the scratches - they're still kind of a pain because there's no easy way to hold everything still while you pry it apart; also, trying to do this while avoiding a HOT differential casing is really just not fun at all. I probably would have benefited from letting Greta cool down after driving for a few miles, but I really just wanted to get the clips out of the way and start thinking about something else...so I grabbed them with a pair of Vise Grips and stuck a rather large screwdriver into the only available opening.

Pictured: Which is a pretty traumatizing process to anything that experiences it, I've heard.

As is seen above, a twisting motion is the easiest way to get the clip to spread; if that doesn't get you far enough, you may have to re-position the locking pliers in order to use them as a fulcrum. In all honesty, I had to work at this thing for about ten minutes in order to figure out the best way to spread the metal apart without damaging the line underneath and without scratching the control arm that was oh-so-freshly-painted and immediately adjacent to the clip itself.

Pictured: And I sort of failed at the "don't scratch the control arm" part.

I was a bit pissed about gouging the paint, but I can always pull this arm back out by itself and touch up the damage...and actually, the damage is a lot less severe than it seems from the above image; most of what is seen there is dust and dirt that's stuck to some grease that had seeped out of the grease fitting. Once I cleaned it off it looked fine...and the other clip - although made of much thicker metal - was a LOT easier to remove. All I had to do was grab the mounting stud and pry it apart.

Pictured: Archimedes, FTW.

This clip shrouds a soft line so I had to be careful not to gouge or otherwise damage the line itself, but that's the only hangup; it removes easily...far easier than the former clip, which surrounds a non-flexible liner that makes the removal process FAR more irritating than it should be. However, once they're out of the way - and the dust/grime mixture removed from the upper arm - everything looks a lot cleaner.

Pictured: I didn't even need zip ties!

Also, note that - somehow - the paint isn't damaged to any significant degree...so I really don't need to pull this arm and touch it up. Instead, I can move on to another small project that needs my attention.

Pictured: Another small project that needs my attention.

I've been putting it off for a LONG time, but it is - at last - time to move some compressors.

Unread 07-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #5159
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Locker compressor removal.

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #5160
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you have seen the 37 quart ARB fridge, its a sweet setup friend has one. Here are the dimensions, External dimensions: H16.9' x W15"' x D27.8"' It sure is nice to be in the desert for a couple of days and grab an ice cold beer.

I am saving my pennies for a 50 quart, hope to purchase it by next summer. Now that my rig is drivable, I will be starting on our paperweights soon and will keep you posted on progress.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.