The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 342 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5116
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Stock steering shouldn't stop you from going wheeling! I'll even bring a spare if it makes you feel any better.
The only thing that's really holding me up is my back...but yeah, some backup steering would make me feel better, because I have this nebulous feeling in the back of my mind that the steering is what's going to go. No idea why I think that, but I do.

I guess this means that we need to round up Beasley and some grill-able meat.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #5117
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

The only thing that's really holding me up is my back...but yeah, some backup steering would make me feel better, because I have this nebulous feeling in the back of my mind that the steering is what's going to go. No idea why I think that, but I do.

I guess this means that we need to round up Beasley and some grill-able meat.
I'm trying to convince him to go wheeling as well but he's being stubborn!
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #5118
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'm trying to convince him to go wheeling as well but he's being stubborn!
It's all that air-conditioning...and that makes NO sense because he's got a working cabin-air filter on his rig, which means that he can wheel URE in clean, cold, comfort. On another note, I managed to get the control arms greased - I had to find and then clean a grease gun, first - and I finished up a multi-day "Let's see if we can carry a kayak on this thing" test.

Pictured: The results were shockingly positive.

As is evident, I threw a couple of foam blocks across the windshield frame and tied the bow off to the winch hoop on the front bumper. For the rear tie-down, I actually just placed a couple of 8" square sections of rubber matting across the twin top bows of the half cab and cam-strapped the rear of the boat to the C-pillars. To my surprise, the top is more than strong enough to support the boat being tightly cinched down; I wouldn't drive too far with it like this, but it's a damn sight better than not being able to carry one at all!

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #5119
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I have a few ideas about a cross bar setup that could work. Just gotta figure out the front A pillar. I'm picturing some modified windshield pillar guards with the light bar tabs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5120
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Nice! I have a few ideas about a cross bar setup that could work. Just gotta figure out the front A pillar. I'm picturing some modified windshield pillar guards with the light bar tabs.
That's basically what I'm thinking of for a front support; A-pillar armor modified to hold a cross bar. Seeing as I'd like to carry more than one boat at a time, though, I'll have to go with a trailer.

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #5121
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's basically what I'm thinking of for a front support; A-pillar armor modified to hold a cross bar. Seeing as I'd like to carry more than one boat at a time, though, I'll have to go with a trailer.
I'm betting you could hold two kyaks comfortably, but yeah, more than two would require a trailer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #5122
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Clean?? You talkin' crazy, Willis! I was thinking I should have taken a pressure washer and some degreaser to her before I started the install!
You clearly haven't gotten a good look under my jeep. Greta's undercarriage is pristine man

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #5123
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'm betting you could hold two kyaks comfortably, but yeah, more than two would require a trailer.
Only one; the flat portion of the top bows measures about 50" wide, which is plenty for a single boat in the vicinity of 30" to 36" wide, but nowhere near enough for two. Now, I could carry two if I built a bar that extends beyond the vertical plane of the A-pillars and also something that hold them at the rear, but this wouldn't be my first choice...and I'd rather the boats be down lower, anyway. That's why I'm leaning towards a Jeep tub trailer that's designed to carry two boats and some accoutrements; it'll be a long-range project, but I think I could manage one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
You clearly haven't gotten a good look under my jeep. Greta's undercarriage is pristine man
Thank you, sir; I'll tell her you said so.

Unread 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #5124
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I still have the spare axle and rims here , just build a multi canoe trailer and be done with it
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #5125
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I still have the spare axle and rims here , just build a multi canoe trailer and be done with it
That would be cheaper, yes...but I have to be all matching and stuff. Besides, I want 35's on my trailer, too.

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5126
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Matching tires and rims on a trailer makes for an even better tire rotation approach. Which brings me to why I'm considering putting my spare on the front of my trailer. I have a much greater chance of tire damage when offroad than on road. And most of the time I go out to play in the woods, I am out camping anyway.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #5127
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
Matching tires and rims on a trailer makes for an even better tire rotation approach. Which brings me to why I'm considering putting my spare on the front of my trailer. I have a much greater chance of tire damage when offroad than on road. And most of the time I go out to play in the woods, I am out camping anyway.
I'm sort of treating the trailer itself as simply being two extra spares...but putting a full one on the front of it is a good idea.

Today's Jeeping was pretty non-existent; I worked on spiffiing-up some canoes in hopes that I can get out on the water and do a bit of fishing.

Unread 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5128
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sort of treating the trailer itself as simply being two extra spares...but putting a full one on the front of it is a good idea.

Today's Jeeping was pretty non-existent; I worked on spiffiing-up some canoes in hopes that I can get out on the water and do a bit of fishing.
Still sanding over here , let me know when your coming to pick up the canoe trailer parts
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #5129
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Still sanding over here , let me know when your coming to pick up the canoe trailer parts
Well, damn it...I could have been doing that today!

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #5130
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work on the CAs! I spent the last week in Jamaica and having about 12 pages of catching up to do has made Monday much more tolerable.

And I concur with the previous statements regarding Greta's incredibly clean nether-regions. I bet it smells flower fresh under there.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.