The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 342 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5116
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Stock steering shouldn't stop you from going wheeling! I'll even bring a spare if it makes you feel any better.
The only thing that's really holding me up is my back...but yeah, some backup steering would make me feel better, because I have this nebulous feeling in the back of my mind that the steering is what's going to go. No idea why I think that, but I do.

I guess this means that we need to round up Beasley and some grill-able meat.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #5117
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

The only thing that's really holding me up is my back...but yeah, some backup steering would make me feel better, because I have this nebulous feeling in the back of my mind that the steering is what's going to go. No idea why I think that, but I do.

I guess this means that we need to round up Beasley and some grill-able meat.
I'm trying to convince him to go wheeling as well but he's being stubborn!
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #5118
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'm trying to convince him to go wheeling as well but he's being stubborn!
It's all that air-conditioning...and that makes NO sense because he's got a working cabin-air filter on his rig, which means that he can wheel URE in clean, cold, comfort. On another note, I managed to get the control arms greased - I had to find and then clean a grease gun, first - and I finished up a multi-day "Let's see if we can carry a kayak on this thing" test.

Pictured: The results were shockingly positive.

As is evident, I threw a couple of foam blocks across the windshield frame and tied the bow off to the winch hoop on the front bumper. For the rear tie-down, I actually just placed a couple of 8" square sections of rubber matting across the twin top bows of the half cab and cam-strapped the rear of the boat to the C-pillars. To my surprise, the top is more than strong enough to support the boat being tightly cinched down; I wouldn't drive too far with it like this, but it's a damn sight better than not being able to carry one at all!

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #5119
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I have a few ideas about a cross bar setup that could work. Just gotta figure out the front A pillar. I'm picturing some modified windshield pillar guards with the light bar tabs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5120
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Nice! I have a few ideas about a cross bar setup that could work. Just gotta figure out the front A pillar. I'm picturing some modified windshield pillar guards with the light bar tabs.
That's basically what I'm thinking of for a front support; A-pillar armor modified to hold a cross bar. Seeing as I'd like to carry more than one boat at a time, though, I'll have to go with a trailer.

Unread 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #5121
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's basically what I'm thinking of for a front support; A-pillar armor modified to hold a cross bar. Seeing as I'd like to carry more than one boat at a time, though, I'll have to go with a trailer.
I'm betting you could hold two kyaks comfortably, but yeah, more than two would require a trailer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #5122
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Clean?? You talkin' crazy, Willis! I was thinking I should have taken a pressure washer and some degreaser to her before I started the install!
You clearly haven't gotten a good look under my jeep. Greta's undercarriage is pristine man

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #5123
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'm betting you could hold two kyaks comfortably, but yeah, more than two would require a trailer.
Only one; the flat portion of the top bows measures about 50" wide, which is plenty for a single boat in the vicinity of 30" to 36" wide, but nowhere near enough for two. Now, I could carry two if I built a bar that extends beyond the vertical plane of the A-pillars and also something that hold them at the rear, but this wouldn't be my first choice...and I'd rather the boats be down lower, anyway. That's why I'm leaning towards a Jeep tub trailer that's designed to carry two boats and some accoutrements; it'll be a long-range project, but I think I could manage one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
You clearly haven't gotten a good look under my jeep. Greta's undercarriage is pristine man
Thank you, sir; I'll tell her you said so.

Unread 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #5124
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I still have the spare axle and rims here , just build a multi canoe trailer and be done with it
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #5125
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I still have the spare axle and rims here , just build a multi canoe trailer and be done with it
That would be cheaper, yes...but I have to be all matching and stuff. Besides, I want 35's on my trailer, too.

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5126
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Matching tires and rims on a trailer makes for an even better tire rotation approach. Which brings me to why I'm considering putting my spare on the front of my trailer. I have a much greater chance of tire damage when offroad than on road. And most of the time I go out to play in the woods, I am out camping anyway.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #5127
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
Matching tires and rims on a trailer makes for an even better tire rotation approach. Which brings me to why I'm considering putting my spare on the front of my trailer. I have a much greater chance of tire damage when offroad than on road. And most of the time I go out to play in the woods, I am out camping anyway.
I'm sort of treating the trailer itself as simply being two extra spares...but putting a full one on the front of it is a good idea.

Today's Jeeping was pretty non-existent; I worked on spiffiing-up some canoes in hopes that I can get out on the water and do a bit of fishing.

Unread 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5128
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sort of treating the trailer itself as simply being two extra spares...but putting a full one on the front of it is a good idea.

Today's Jeeping was pretty non-existent; I worked on spiffiing-up some canoes in hopes that I can get out on the water and do a bit of fishing.
Still sanding over here , let me know when your coming to pick up the canoe trailer parts
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #5129
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Still sanding over here , let me know when your coming to pick up the canoe trailer parts
Well, damn it...I could have been doing that today!

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #5130
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work on the CAs! I spent the last week in Jamaica and having about 12 pages of catching up to do has made Monday much more tolerable.

And I concur with the previous statements regarding Greta's incredibly clean nether-regions. I bet it smells flower fresh under there.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.