The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 338 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5056
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I didnt say anything about greasing the bushing . My thought was to drill out the sleeve inside the bushing and use a slightly larger greasable bolt so that it wouldnt seize . The sleeve's i.d. is larger than the o.d. of the bolt . The way the smaller bolt makes contact is through small bumps in the sleeve that are now worn away . Make sense ?
That's what I thought you were suggesting; those little bumps really don't make a ton of sense to me. I don't really see a reason for them being there unless it's to reduce the contact surface, somehow...so if that's the case it kind of makes sense to get rid of them and replace them with something that can actually be lubricated. Either that, or I'm yet again simply not understanding the way something works. Probably the latter.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #5057
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

JKS Control Arms - Cleanup, Inspection and Painting

Just in case you missed it, I got a full set of JKS control arms from G Beasley.

Pictured: Recap.

As you can see, they really only need a solid cleaning and inspection before they're ready to replace Greta's somehow-still-somewhat-functioning stock control arms; note, however, that there's a trick to quickly getting a grease-covered control arm clean enough to look over and/or paint.

Pictured: The trick is "use a sink."

In order to get all of the grease off, I screwed the adjustable end of the control arm almost all of the way out and then covered everything with Simple Green; as previously mentioned, I figured that was the safest way to not destroy the seals. After the degreaser had a few minutes to soak I used a combination of paper towels, sponges, ScotchBrite pads and a steel-bristled brush to remove the grease and grime and dirt and Beasleyness, which thereby rendered the arms paint-ready. Normally I'd do a bit more cleaning, but since we're all familiar with the following equation...

Painted Control Arms + Rocks = Futility

...I was content with a basic degreasing. I already showed the cleaned-up upper front arms; here are the lowers after the same treatment.

Pictured: Ahh...fastidiously better.

There's not a lot of interest to be had in painting a set of control arms - as mentioned, the paint really won't even stay on there for a terribly long time - so I'm going to keep it brief and save all of my good material for the circus that will almost surely take place when I attempt to install and adjust these things. For now, I'll simply say that I masked the bushings...

Pictured: ...with cheap blue tape...

...and then shot them with a new paint that I'm trying out: Rustoleum Universal in Hammered Black. They advertise that it's a paint/primer combination - I'm not really sure how that's supposed to work - that sticks to pretty much any surface/material...including bare metal and rust. In addition to the improved adhesion, the can is also a lot more comfortable to hold, and it has a better spray pattern than the normal Rustoleum cans. It doesn't really manage the "spray at any angle" part of their advertising, but there was still a noticeable improvement; it didn't just sputter and go dead when turned on its side. Best of all, it seems to provide a really nice hammered finish.

Pictured: I may have to give this stuff an extended test...

You can see that I didn't mask the seal when I painted the arm; since it's slightly recessed, it actually sort of keeps itself out of trouble unless you take pains to spray paint directly at it...which I didn't. I got all of the upper arms painted today and have them drying right now, so I'll snap a few pictures between burgers and barbeque tomorrow; I couldn't seem to get a decent angle on them with the weird after-storm light that was coming in the garage. I did, however, manage to get some great views of the insides of the interior bushing sleeves. Here's what all of the uppers look like:

Pictured: Who put those stupid bumps in there??

Apologies for this arm being somewhat-painted; I actually hit it on this side with rust converter because the bushing shell was really surface-rusted...and we all know how I feel about rust. Nonetheless, it's clear that the wear and tear on the interior of the sleeve is minimal; Beasley said he only had about 10K on these bushings and I honestly think he was overestimating. The lowers show a bit more wear, but after looking in all eight bushings I realized that none of them featured the same interior protrusions that were seen on the upper bushings. Take a look.

Not Pictured: Mysterious Interior Protrusions.

There's a bit of thread-scoring to be seen if you give that interior sleeve an uber-close examination, but aside from that it looks good. I may simply install the arms with the existent bushings in-place and then torque the control arm bolts to their proper values and see how they do; if I still get noise I'll chase it down and replace whatever needs replacing. For now, I think it's more important to get the stiffness worked out of the suspension than to make sure it will be perfectly quiet...mostly because my back has more electoral votes than my ears, at current.

Tomorrow, I'll post some pictures of the painted uppers and hopefully get some paint on the lowers. I also made a few aluminum inquiries today...so, stay tuned.

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #5058
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing there is a TT in our near future, based on the aluminum inquiries?
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #5059
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I'm guessing there is a TT in our near future, based on the aluminum inquiries?

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #5060
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What about drilling out the bumps and adding a thin poly sleeve to stop the galling ? The uppers are what were making the noise as I could recreate it by moving them when I was under the Jeep . They are going to make a slapping noise that you will feel under your feet .

Have you looked at the Barnes TT ? Its cheap , simple and close to home .
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5061
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What about drilling out the bumps and adding a thin poly sleeve to stop the galling ? The uppers are what were making the noise as I could recreate it by moving them when I was under the Jeep . They are going to make a slapping noise that you will feel under your feet .
Okay...time for a really stupid question on my part; are you completely sure that you had them torqued down all the way? I don't mean that offensively at all and I'm basically 99.9% sure that you did, but I wanted to ask, anyway, just to cover all of my bases.

Quote:
Have you looked at the Barnes TT ? Its cheap , simple and close to home .
I have, yes! I'm going to do it the hard way, though.

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #5062
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Okay...time for a really stupid question on my part; are you completely sure that you had them torqued down all the way? I don't mean that offensively at all and I'm basically 99.9% sure that you did, but I wanted to ask, anyway, just to cover all of my bases.
I re torqued them when I got back from Moab last year when I was chasing noises . I also retorqued them before this trip and thats when I isolated the noise . My solution was to purchase new arms as I didn't want to have other old arms start making noises on the trip . It wasn't the most cost effective but it worked .

Quote:
I have, yes! I'm going to do it the hard way, though.
You have serious issues ...
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #5063
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I re torqued them when I got back from Moab last year when I was chasing noises . I also retorqued them before this trip and thats when I isolated the noise . My solution was to purchase new arms as I didn't want to have other old arms start making noises on the trip . It wasn't the most cost effective but it worked .
Fair enough; issue settled. I'll be pulling them back out and swapping bushings at some point, then: specifically, the "Oh, look, I can haz new bushings" point.

Quote:
You have serious issues ...
I do...I really do.

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #5064
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I took yesterday off in order to celebrate America Is F****** Awesome Day (Observed) and only managed to get a second coat of paint on the upper control arms. However, that means that they'll be dry enough to handle by now...so I'm going to take a couple of quick photos of the progress and get the lowers ready to be painted. Oh, and Beasley is coming over to eat barbeque, too.

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #5065
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Today's Jeeping: I took yesterday off in order to celebrate America Is F****** Awesome Day (Observed)
Merica!

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #5066
Kenny1AZ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those are definitely stock style bushings, meaning the bolt is a total clamp up on the inner sleeve, all the flex/rotation is in the rubber bushing itself, if not .... fail. I just replaced my worn out rear lowers (Rough Country) with some poly bushings, had to do the motorcycle ride in 110 deg, in Phoenix to a local Performance Suspension shop. Where I got a set of bushings & sleeves for $17, Nice
All I had to do is cut the bushings to fit & the sleeve as well. This type the bushing rotates on the sleeve, which is clamped up in the mount. Flex is at the fwd rod end, jonny joint type.
Kenny1AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #5067
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictured: As promised, some painted control arms.

Pictured: A slightly-better detail of the texture/color.

They don't look that great in the photos, but the lighting sucked today and it was hard to get my peasy cell-phone camera to focus on anything at all. In person, they look better: if this Universal paint holds up, I'll be using it for a lot more projects.

Unread 07-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #5068
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

I'm experiencing a rough, choppy, jarring ride. The tire pressures are actually a tad low - 21, right now - so I know that's not contributing to it. Nothing else has changed; the ride has just gotten progressively harsher in the last couple of months. Best I could figure, I had killed the front shocks, somehow.
Sounds like my Jeep.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #5069
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Sounds like my Jeep.
Good to see you, again.

Unread 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #5070
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like you got a good deal on control arms. I noticed in the last couple weeks of catch up reading you have been doing a headlight upgrade as well. I could not be happier with mine, 150% improvement over stock. I'm pretty sure I sent you a parts list and price estimate based on my purchase a few months back. $280 for CIBIS bulbs and a harness upgrade was pretty tough to beat. Getting ready to do the louver panel with a Monstaliner racing strip kind of idea across the leading edge of the hood and down the center of the raised body line on the hood. Looking at doing the whole of the hard top, inner tub, rocker panels and door latches as well. Waiting on the 40 color sample chips to arrive to decide on the color to accent the metallic khaki of my LJ Rubi.

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.