The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 337 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #5041
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Took me hours to get one bushing out. With torch, BFH, ball joint press, and various saws. Try to have some fun with it... It will still suck, just less :laughing:

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #5042
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
I read some ware about using a hole saw to drill out the bushings.
It might come to that, depending on how obstinate they want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Or after you clean them up bring them over here and we can apply 40 tons of pressure to the bushings .
See, I was going to push the bushings out, clean up the arms and paint them, and then re-install the good bushings or replace the bad ones...but there's no way to push the bushing out in a press due to the size of the lip; it completely occludes the barrel on the arm on both ends. Therefore, to replace the bushing you have to cut the lip off at a minimum; that was the suggestion that JKS just e-mailed to me. If the lip can be removed, the barrel can be supported on that side and a press can pop the bushing right out. Failing that, it's saw/hole-cutter/torch time. Either way, a bushing doesn't get re-used once it's taken out...so I have to decide what to do about replacing them, because I'll have to do that before they get cleaned/painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Yeah, a press is the easiest way!!! Lots of wd40 or similar, my rubixpress bushings were a breeze and they are figure 8 shaped!
And that's why I need a press...although in point of fact I do need to cook some pig and take it up to Beasley's place this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Took me hours to get one bushing out. With torch, BFH, ball joint press, and various saws. Try to have some fun with it... It will still suck, just less :laughing:
"Sucks less!" is one of my favorite phrases. I'm glad that you're aware of the concept.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #5043
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictured: Sucks less!

Today's Jeeping: I got all of the upper control arms cleaned-up and ready for some paint. As you can see in the above photo, the fronts are actually pretty pristine and don't require painting; I'll get give them a fresh coating nonetheless because the gold anodizing is actually kind of thin. I think the thin coating explains why the lowers - much more exposed to weather - have some rust on them; a good coat of Satin Black will be more than enough to remedy the rust problem, and it shouldn't interfere with the grease seals unless I just cake it on...which I won't do. JKS advised me to just give the surfaces a solid cleaning and then go ahead with the paint, all while being sure to not get heavy solvents near the seals; I'm using Simple Green to de-grease everything and it's working pretty well, and it shouldn't cause any problems. I was more worried about spraying rust converter near the bushings than I was damaging a seal, but the rust converter just dries and flakes off of the rubber bushing with no appreciable effect.

Speaking of bushings: all of the units that are installed in the upper arms seem intact...so that helps me out a lot. I haven't given the lower bushings much of an inspection, but Beasley said that one of them was making a bit of noise, so I'll have to see which one it is and then cut it out.

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #5044
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As I recall the uppers were clanking the most . How about drilling the sleeves , going up one size on the bolts and adding greaseable bolts to the mix ?
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #5045
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As I recall the uppers were clanking the most . How about drilling the sleeves , going up one size on the bolts and adding greaseable bolts to the mix ?
Really?!? The inside of those bushings looked a hell of a lot better than the lowers! I'm certainly not averse to drilling out those little protrusions and getting a larger bolt through the bushing, but won't that screw me later on when I'm installing a joint that uses a factory-sized bolt? I'll have to drill my mounts on both the axles and the frame, so whatever joint eventually replaces these would have to used the same size bolt - which would mean drilling out that joint, too - unless I cut the mounts off and replace them with something that's got a factory-sized hole in it. Am I off-base, here? Has anyone done something like this, before?

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #5046
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had to drill out the uppers on my Jeep to accept the Savvy oversized bolts . And I am quite sure the uppers were clanking more than the lowers.
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #5047
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had to drill out the uppers on my Jeep to accept the Savvy oversized bolts . And I am quite sure the uppers were clanking more than the lowers.
Yeah, but that's the difference between the M10 factory bolts and the 7/16" Currie bolts. Drilling the protrusions in the bushing barrel completely out would make the diameter closer to 1/2", if not 9/16". That's a pretty big jump.

I'll take your word that the uppers were making noise; you would know. They just looked a lot better than the lower CA bushings!

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #5048
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Yeah, but that's the difference between the M10 factory bolts and the 7/16" Currie bolts. Drilling the protrusions in the bushing barrel completely out would make the diameter closer to 1/2", if not 9/16". That's a pretty big jump.

I'll take your word that the uppers were making noise; you would know. They just looked a lot better than the lower CA bushings!
My assumption was based on the noise I got out of them as I moved them around before I pulled them . That may be off base , as noise can transfer. I wouldnt drill out my mounts larger than the 7/16th , no reason to hurt yourself in the future .
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #5049
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't have to drill out anything when I replaced my front uppers or my lowers. Just say'in.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #5050
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My assumption was based on the noise I got out of them as I moved them around before I pulled them . That may be off base , as noise can transfer. I wouldnt drill out my mounts larger than the 7/16th , no reason to hurt yourself in the future .
That's pretty sound logic...but I have no idea as to how I'd only drill out a portion of the bushing sleeve. I could drill it all the way and use the walls themselves as a guide, but I can't figure out how to clamp the thing perfectly in place in order to just chase it with a 7/16" drill bit. You see, I'm really a bear of very little brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I didn't have to drill out anything when I replaced my front uppers or my lowers. Just say'in.
Well, I like the idea of a greasable bolt...but I don't know that I'd find one in the stock M10xWhatever size. I suppose I'll just have to see how these things fit once I get them all cleaned up.

Today's Jeeping: More control arm cleaning/painting, and I might look around for a sheet of aluminum...

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #5051
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's grease going to do to a rubber bushing? Nothing.

Adding greasable bolts is pointless because greasing Clevite bushings is pointless. If they're making noise it's because the bond between the sleeve and bushing element is broken to some extent. Grease won't do anything in that case.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #5052
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I honestly can't think that it would do much, aside from possibly preventing a seizure between the bolt and the inner bushing sleeve...which might be what I'm dealing with, now. Something's not moving, that's for sure.

Quote:
Adding greasable bolts is pointless because greasing Clevite bushings is pointless. If they're making noise it's because the bond between the sleeve and bushing element is broken to some extent. Grease won't do anything in that case.
Okay, that makes sense...but now I'm more confused because I really didn't see any kind of destruction taking place on the upper bushings. There was some inner sleeve damage on one of the lowers - I'll get a picture, later - but I guess there could be a separation or some kind of internal issue that I didn't see in the uppers. Hmm.

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #5053
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, those arms have two halves so you may be dealing with some play between them. Clevite bushings really don't and can't make any noise unless there's serious bond issues with the sleeve and/or the bolt is loose.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #5054
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, those arms have two halves so you may be dealing with some play between them. Clevite bushings really don't and can't make any noise unless there's serious bond issues with the sleeve and/or the bolt is loose.
It's a really cool design for an arm, once you look at them; I really wasn't familiar with them until Beasley gave 'em to me over the weekend. I can see that they still won't flex as well as a Johnny Joint or a Duroflex joint, but they seem to be a pretty big improvement over a factory arm. I didn't detect any play in any of them, but I'll be sure to give them a more thorough examination later today.

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #5055
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How about drilling the sleeves
Nothing there about the bushing .
Quote:

I didnt say anything about greasing the bushing . My thought was to drill out the sleeve inside the bushing and use a slightly larger greasable bolt so that it wouldnt seize . The sleeve's i.d. is larger than the o.d. of the bolt . The way the smaller bolt makes contact is through small bumps in the sleeve that are now worn away . Make sense ?

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.