The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 334 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #4996
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Its nice out til 10 am or so then its sizzling . I guess your waiting until 7pm or so now ?
Yep...had to tend to the garden this morning.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #4997
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
She's keeping you? I thought she had better taste than that...

Hey I'm as surprised as anyone. Not complaining though...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #4998
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I finally got a chance to get a shock pulled and inspected; in actuality, I pulled both front shocks and compared them. Results? Inconclusive. Here's what I determined in my quick inspection.

- Both shocks are somewhat stiffer than I recalled them being; it took a significant amount of effort to compress them. The passenger-side shock feels slightly stiffer.
- Each shock rebounds differently; the passenger-side unit rebounds a bit slower.
- The passenger-side shock had slipped a slight bit in its upper mounting. I could see that the bushings had not been located exactly as they should have been.
- Neither shock had a rough or slow spot in its travel; both moved smoothly throughout the travel range.
- I didn't see any physical damage, or any sign of a bent shaft.

I'm going to send this info on to ARB; I haven't gotten a reply to the last e-mail I sent them a week ago. I may be back to dealing with a phone call.

Unread 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4999
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Refresh my memory as to what symptoms you were experiencing with the front shocks that led to your conclusion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #5000
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Refresh my memory as to what symptoms you were experiencing with the front shocks that led to your conclusion.
I'm experiencing a rough, choppy, jarring ride. The tire pressures are actually a tad low - 21, right now - so I know that's not contributing to it. Nothing else has changed; the ride has just gotten progressively harsher in the last couple of months. Best I could figure, I had killed the front shocks, somehow.

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #5001
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm experiencing a rough, choppy, jarring ride. The tire pressures are actually a tad low - 21, right now - so I know that's not contributing to it. Nothing else has changed; the ride has just gotten progressively harsher in the last couple of months. Best I could figure, I had killed the front shocks, somehow.
Do you think the shocks have lost compression dampening ability? Are you hitting the bumpstops a lot? I guess loss of rebound dampening could cause that bucking feeling too. Shocks are a slippery slope! Something must be amiss if they felt fine before and now they're not. Did you notice this after your offroading adventure?

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #5002
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you think the shocks have lost compression dampening ability? Are you hitting the bumpstops a lot? I guess loss of rebound dampening could cause that bucking feeling too. Shocks are a slippery slope! Something must be amiss if they felt fine before and now they're not. Did you notice this after your offroading adventure?
The short answer to those questions is that neither I nor the manufacturer has ANY kind of notion as to what might be causing it these issues. I'm not hitting the bumpstops during normal driving, and "normal driving" is when all of these issues are occurring. I didn't notice any sort of difference after the last offoad trip; this all started sometime in late February/early March. I've checked tire pressures seven or eight times, and aside from running the Falkens at 10 PSI there's no way to further dampen the system.

So, to help move things along, I placed a phone call per Clint's suggestion and got in touch with Marc Bowers at the U.S. office in Renton...and over a 20-minute conversation we agreed - as aforementioned - that we simply have no f****** idea as to why this harshness is taking place. Marc suggested that I pull the shocks and see how they were traveling, but upon being informed that I'd already done that we kind of hit an impasse. Unless there's been some sort of manufacturing defect, there's really nothing that should be causing a problem with the front shocks. Admittedly, there is an outside chance that a seized control arm bushing might be at fault, but I really don't expect that to be the case...so we're at the "okay, let's just throw some parts at it" phase of the diagnosis. Marc is shipping me two new N66's as soon as they get some in stock; we'll change these out and see if there's any improvement or change in the ride quality. So, that's a win.

Also, he suggested taking the front shocks off and going for a short drive...and since there's a very bumpy stretch of road not a quarter mile from Muppet Labs, I think I can make that happen. I don't expect it to make any sort of difference, but we'll see what happens.

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #5003
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm glad they are getting you taken care of. I didn't even think about driving with the shocks off. That's a good idea.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #5004
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm curious to see the outcome. We pretty much run the same spring/shock combination on basically the same year TJ, cept mine's not a Rubi and I'm on 32's instead of 35's.

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #5005
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I'm glad they are getting you taken care of. I didn't even think about driving with the shocks off. That's a good idea.
I'm glad they are, too; that's good customer service and I appreciate it when it happens. You were on point when you suggested the phone call; I had to keep asking him to repeat stuff - hearing problems - but it was worth the effort.

Also, yes...driving with the shocks off is a pretty smart idea. I'll need to be careful when doing it, but it will eliminate one potential source of the problem.

Quote:
I'm curious to see the outcome. We pretty much run the same spring/shock combination on basically the same year TJ, cept mine's not a Rubi and I'm on 32's instead of 35's.
And Marc at ARB runs Falken Wild Peaks - heavily cut - on his own TJ...so it was really confusing because he's not having these issues at all.

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #5006
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Why not switch the rear shocks to front and vice versa?
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #5007
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The front shocks have a stud mount on the top and the rear are loop / loop.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #5008
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera
The front shocks have a stud mount on the top and the rear are loop / loop.
Ah.... Disregard my comment. Carry on
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #5009
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you check something for me? When you get your front shocks back on, can you measure the shocks length at ride height? Measure from bottom side of the shock tower where the stud bushing meets the underside of the tower to the bar pin flats on the bottom. My shock measures out 19" at ride height. Thanks.

Unread 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #5010
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear they are taking care of you with two new shocks . Whens the jeephop / no shocks ride taking place ?

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.