The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 333 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #4981
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
Stupid question time (hand raised from the dimly-lit back of the class)

Are you referring to the shaft of the shocks, or axle shafts?

I'm quite a bit interested in how this turns out - your comment about handling over pot holes got my attention. As I'm relatively new to the Jeep thing (at least with a TJ), I had just assumed it was a combination of short wheel base and "it's a Jeep, of course it rides rough." But ever since I bought mine it's had a pretty rough ride; even after changing all my shocks last year it's still pretty rough going over holes and bumps. Jarring, I think, is the best word to describe it. So this has me thinking, is it something else? Something in the axle?
I doubt its anything in the axle , if it was you would hear it . When I had stock shocks , stock springs and the stock sway bar my jeep was rough . The ride after I lifted it and added the antirock was much better , less choppy is the description I would use .

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #4982
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
It's been over a year ago since I made this picture. I thought it was pretty damn good, so I'm posting it again. Your beard matches the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
The closest Chick-fil-A to me had a sign up saying they were going to be closing for remodeling. I drove by the next day after seeing the sign and the whole building was gone.
Now that's just mean; I demand that they compensate you.

Quote:
Stupid question time (hand raised from the dimly-lit back of the class) Are you referring to the shaft of the shocks, or axle shafts?
Any question that helps you or someone else to better understand a concept is NOT a stupid question. I'm referring to the shocks, here; if there was an axle issue, I don't think it would manifest in a rough/jarring ride. I think I'm likely dealing with a combination of damaged shocks, heavier-than-they-should-be spring rates and stock control arm bushings that are absolutely dead. Also, the stock swaybar in the front probably isn't helping.

Quote:
I'm quite a bit interested in how this turns out - your comment about handling over pot holes got my attention. As I'm relatively new to the Jeep thing (at least with a TJ), I had just assumed it was a combination of short wheel base and "it's a Jeep, of course it rides rough." But ever since I bought mine it's had a pretty rough ride; even after changing all my shocks last year it's still pretty rough going over holes and bumps. Jarring, I think, is the best word to describe it. So this has me thinking, is it something else? Something in the axle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I doubt its anything in the axle , if it was you would hear it . When I had stock shocks , stock springs and the stock sway bar my jeep was rough . The ride after I lifted it and added the antirock was much better , less choppy is the description I would use .
I'm with Beasley on this one; if you had an axle issue you would probably know it just as clearly as you knew about that pinion bearing you fixed. Ride quality issues are usually suspension-related.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #4983
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When your back gets better just pull a shock off and push it down and see if it seems normal.
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #4984
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
When your back gets better just pull a shock off and push it down and see if it seems normal.
That's the plan.

Unread 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #4985
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know if it's the same with your rig as mine, but my stock CA bushing are in dire need of replacement, but my ride isn't rough, the zj just likes to wonder across the road not giving a hoot who's around or how drunk it makes you look. But then again, I don't have a front sway bar either
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #4986
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatONeJeePeR View Post
I don't know if it's the same with your rig as mine, but my stock CA bushing are in dire need of replacement, but my ride isn't rough, the zj just likes to wonder across the road not giving a hoot who's around or how drunk it makes you look. But then again, I don't have a front sway bar either
I don't know that mine are worn too badly, but I do know that they don't support the concept of "articulation"...so they might be having some kind of effect on the ride quality.

Unread 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #4987
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

I don't know that mine are worn too badly, but I do know that they don't support the concept of "articulation"...so they might be having some kind of effect on the ride quality.
Makes sense!! Thanks for helping "special" wheeler
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #4988
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatONeJeePeR View Post
Makes sense!! Thanks for helping "special" wheeler
Special wheeler...

Today's Jeeping: HOPEFULLY pulling a front shock, as my back is doing a bit better...but I haven't gotten an e-mail back from ARB after answering their last round of questions. I think I'll post another one to them when I have something to report about the condition of the shocks.

Unread 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #4989
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your pile o'parts is building up over here , when are you heading over ? Take it easy on your back , don't re-gimp yourself .
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #4990
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your pile o'parts is building up over here , when are you heading over ? Take it easy on your back , don't re-gimp yourself .
I guess I need to turn some pig into barbeque and bring it your way, then.

Unread 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #4991
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I dearly love good bbq ...we are here all week . If you come over can you grab a t case in Pfafftown for me ?
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4992
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

[quote=Sundowner;15600500]
Any question that helps you or someone else to better understand a concept is NOT a stupid question. I'm referring to the shocks, here; if there was an axle issue, I don't think it would manifest in a rough/jarring ride. I think I'm likely dealing with a combination of damaged shocks, heavier-than-they-should-be spring rates and stock control arm bushings that are absolutely dead. Also, the stock swaybar in the front probably isn't helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm with Beasley on this one; if you had an axle issue you would probably know it just as clearly as you knew about that pinion bearing you fixed. Ride quality issues are usually suspension-related.

Many thanks for the input good sirs. Once this blasted (read: costly) wedding is over with I'll see if I can scrape a few pennies together for some new springs and shocks.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #4993
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dearly love good bbq ...we are here all week . If you come over can you grab a t case in Pfafftown for me ?
I sure can.

Quote:
Many thanks for the input good sirs. Once this blasted (read: costly) wedding is over with I'll see if I can scrape a few pennies together for some new springs and shocks.
She's keeping you? I thought she had better taste than that...

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #4994
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: I didn't get around to pulling a shock yet, but since I'm a bit more mobile - at least for today - I'm going to take a stab at it as soon as the weather cools later. Wish me luck with that.

Unread 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #4995
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its nice out til 10 am or so then its sizzling . I guess your waiting until 7pm or so now ?

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.