The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 331 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #4951
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Continued Jeeping: I sent another inquiry to ARB - not using the contact form, this time - so I'm going to give them a few hours to respond; if I don't hear anything by mid-afternoon, I'm calling. I also need to give Greta a bath; a few days in hot sun has probably helped cure the paint on the hardware, so I'm not terribly afraid of scratching it now. Furthermore, I need to reattach the top of the weatherstripped tailgate seal to the tailgate itself; it's come loose near the latch. There seems to be a press-in fastener involved, so I'll have to see what I can come up with that will work properly. And I still need to do an oil change, but since that costs money it'll have to wait.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #4952
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would call them. You are not routed to some call center in India, it's a small room with a few guys here in Renton that are very helpful and knowledgeable. The parking lot is full of cool rigs that have clearly been off the road so the employees defiantly have a passion for off road. They build rigs there too. Last time I was there they were building a Toyota Tacoma, and it was very tastefully done.

I'm not sure how "E" savvy they are. I haven't had much luck with emailing them.

(866) 293-9078
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #4953
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I would call them. You are not routed to some call center in India, it's a small room with a few guys here in Renton that are very helpful and knowledgeable. The parking lot is full of cool rigs that have clearly been off the road so the employees defiantly have a passion for off road. They build rigs there too. Last time I was there they were building a Toyota Tacoma, and it was very tastefully done.

I'm not sure how "E" savvy they are. I haven't had much luck with emailing them.

(866) 293-9078
I usually avoid phone calls because I have a lot of trouble hearing people and understanding what they're saying, but I think I'm going to have to do it in this case. Thanks for posting the info and the phone number; once they're at work on your side of the country I'll give them a buzz.

By the way, your rig is looking good; if Beasley would hurry up and ship you that sheet metal you could get it all buttoned up.

Unread 06-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #4954
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I usually avoid phone calls because I have a lot of trouble hearing people and understanding what they're saying, but I think I'm going to have to do it in this case. Thanks for posting the info and the phone number; once they're at work on your side of the country I'll give them a buzz.

By the way, your rig is looking good; if Beasley would hurry up and ship you that sheet metal you could get it all buttoned up.
That's funny. I have a similar issue on the phone. I have to do customer service and people have a hard time understanding me since I talk too fast and have a tendency to mumble. I have to really concentrate (especially when ordering parts) to make sure I speak clearly.

And thanks!

If I was Beasley that would be the last thing on my mind after that epic trip he went on and seeing that mess that nature gave him when he got home. I still have other stuff I need to do before I need the sheet metal but I want to have this rig "done" by Saturday so I can drive it to Norhtridge's open house.
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #4955
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I usually avoid phone calls because I have a lot of trouble hearing people and understanding what they're saying, but I think I'm going to have to do it in this case.
I have always been a proponent of sending an email to get my point communicated correctly, then calling the next day to ask if they got my email. The call will *usually* get a quicker response and the details are left in a visual form so there is less chance of mumbling an important detail.

On a side note, you really have to stop this, now... for a while anyways. I've read up to page 180 and I will never finish if you keep doing stuff!! I will let you know when you may commence.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #4956
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
If I was Beasley that would be the last thing on my mind after that epic trip he went on and seeing that mess that nature gave him when he got home. I still have other stuff I need to do before I need the sheet metal but I want to have this rig "done" by Saturday so I can drive it to Norhtridge's open house.
Oh, whatever...that tree looked like it was a mile from his house, much less the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post
I have always been a proponent of sending an email to get my point communicated correctly, then calling the next day to ask if they got my email. The call will *usually* get a quicker response and the details are left in a visual form so there is less chance of mumbling an important detail.
That's a good technique; I think I'll adopt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_Fiero View Post
On a side note, you really have to stop this, now... for a while anyways. I've read up to page 180 and I will never finish if you keep doing stuff!! I will let you know when you may commence.
Okay, good; I needed a break. Thank you.

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #4957
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Okay, good; I needed a break. Thank you.
I like to help out where I can!

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #4958
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Updated Jeeping: Response from ARB; the shocks are still under warranty, and they're trying to figure out what's causing the problem.

Unread 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #4959
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Updated Jeeping, Again: ARB got back to me again, and we're now trying to figure out why my shocks are doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing if they'd up and died on me. If they had died, they should be very soft and things should be bouncy and uncontrolled...but that's not what happened. The ride got harsher...so they're thinking that the shock is actually damaged, somehow. I'm not sure how I might have physically damaged them, though. We'll see how the story develops.

Unread 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #4960
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've had shocks bend before. Wouldn't have been able to tell while they were mounted, but while cycling them once they were off, you could tell. Not sure how that would have happened while you were wheeling though.
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #4961
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bending is a possibility. Would be hard to tell due to those stupid dust shields on those shocks.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #4962
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't it have to be a fairly substantial bend for it to effect the ride as much as he has described?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Hull #233[/COLOR]
[U]Check out my build![/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/[/URL]
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #4963
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I've had shocks bend before. Wouldn't have been able to tell while they were mounted, but while cycling them once they were off, you could tell. Not sure how that would have happened while you were wheeling though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Bending is a possibility. Would be hard to tell due to those stupid dust shields on those shocks.
I'm not sure how it could have happened, either...or how it could have begun to show an effect three months AFTER the December wheeling trip to URE. They got pretty warm while we were there, but there weren't any "Oh, I just broke something" impacts and nothing that suggested a failure of any sort for a long time afterwards. That's why this is starting to get so mysterious. However, ARB's last response got me thinking; here's the really relevant part of what they said:

Your description is unusual as typically a harsh ride would be the result of excessively firm shocks and/or springs as opposed to shocks that are going off as they would generally have exactly the opposite effect allowing the truck to bounce excessively after impacting bumps and imparting very little control into the suspension. Worn or ineffective shocks make the truck very soft in coil spring type suspensions, not harsh. A damaged or seized shock could cause the harsh ride, but would also tend to make everything really stiff as the shocks would refuse to allow significant movement.

The interesting part is that the entire suspension IS really stiff. I noticed this exact effect today as I was driving; there's very little suspension movement and when I hit potholes or bumps there's a LOT of jarring vibration. I'm tempted to pull the shocks and see how they're acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Wouldn't it have to be a fairly substantial bend for it to effect the ride as much as he has described?
Maybe, maybe not. I've started to wonder if it's something in the valving that's just not letting the damned things move. That could possibly account for the lurching, swaying, jarring ride.

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #4964
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If my understanding of shock tech is correct if someone there was a contamination of the oil i guess it's possible that the valves (not necessarily all of them) are blocked. I may be way off and if so ignore that and I'll go re read the billavista article.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Hull #233[/COLOR]
[U]Check out my build![/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/[/URL]
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #4965
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
If my understanding of shock tech is correct if someone there was a contamination of the oil i guess it's possible that the valves (not necessarily all of them) are blocked. I may be way off and if so ignore that and I'll go re read the billavista article.
I need to re-read that again, too. Maybe there is some sort of physical damage to the shafts...if that's the case, I can't ask ARB to warranty them.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.