The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 330 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #4936
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In regards to the headlights, what is H4? My stock ones suck and I want something better but I can't stomach $300 a piece for the LED conversion.

Unread 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #4937
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
In regards to the headlights, what is H4? My stock ones suck and I want something better but I can't stomach $300 a piece for the LED conversion.
The H4 is just a different type of bulb than the stock ones that we have; it's a twin-filament halogen that fits a slightly-different housing. Also, it makes use of a replacement harness that can supply a LOT more power to the bulbs themselves; the stock wiring to the headlights is pretty skimpy so the H4 setups replace it with some direct-from-battery wiring and a switched relay that can power some high-output bulbs. Overall, it's a clean, easy and simple way to upgrade - upgrayedd - your stock headlights; the bad news is that the conversion will still cost you somewhere around $200 per unit, or slightly less if you build your own harness. Wiring ain't cheap.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #4938
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna look those up. Great work on the hood and hinges and stuff. Greta is looking good. I don't comment much but I'm always here reading (since day one). Awesome thread man. Keep it up!
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #4939
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
Wow! Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna look those up. Great work on the hood and hinges and stuff. Greta is looking good. I don't comment much but I'm always here reading (since day one). Awesome thread man. Keep it up!
No problem, man... I'm glad to help, and I certainly appreciate the compliments on Greta's latest updates. I hope you keep reading, and enjoying.

Unread 06-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #4940
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is an h4 wiring set up that comes w relay, plugs and everything needed for just about 100-130ish bucks. I did it and love it, was the first mod i did on my daughters 05 rubicon. It will make reg lights brighter as well.
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #4941
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
There is an h4 wiring set up that comes w relay, plugs and everything needed for just about 100-130ish bucks. I did it and love it, was the first mod i did on my daughters 05 rubicon. It will make reg lights brighter as well.
You have more info on this?
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #4942
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I built a harness using his components, run OSRAM 60/65w bulbs, and Hella housings. I have ridiculously adequate headlights.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #4943
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I forget what brand my harness for the xj is but it was only about $35. I don't know if there's a difference.. The whole swap only cost me about $75. Ill do some research when I'm on the computer and see what I can find for TJs.
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #4944
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There really isn't much to the harness. You can cut the plug off your headlights, wire it to a $5 relay and get a $8 H4 plug pigtail and you are in business. Get some decent size wire and a fuse or keep it factory looking and run it through an unused spot in the factory under hood fuse box.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #4945
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I built a harness using his components, run OSRAM 60/65w bulbs, and Hella housings. I have ridiculously adequate headlights.
That's the plan on my end; he's been very helpful. I'm going to opt for the Cibie housings, but aside from that it sounds like we'll have similar setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post
I forget what brand my harness for the xj is but it was only about $35. I don't know if there's a difference.. The whole swap only cost me about $75. Ill do some research when I'm on the computer and see what I can find for TJs.
Let us know what you find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
There really isn't much to the harness. You can cut the plug off your headlights, wire it to a $5 relay and get a $8 H4 plug pigtail and you are in business. Get some decent size wire and a fuse or keep it factory looking and run it through an unused spot in the factory under hood fuse box.
I think it's really a matter of the sorry-a** factory wiring, more than anything else; the factory stuff just can't supply a high-wattage bulb. If you can find some decent hardware to go with adequately-sized wire you can assemble a harness for not-a-great-amount. I was planning on getting my components from Stern, mostly because I've heard exactly zero complaints about them and because I'd like to give the guy a bit of business for having helped me out with innumerable questions. I may buy housings from him as well, depending on what I find when it's time to purchase them.

Unread 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4946
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

this is what i got, took more time to open the box than to install it. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW...3+jeep+rubicon
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #4947
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin
this is what i got, took more time to open the box than to install it. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW...3+jeep+rubicon
How long have you run this? Any issues? Some of those reviews kinda turned me a bit
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #4948
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatONeJeePeR View Post
How long have you run this? Any issues? Some of those reviews kinda turned me a bit
Been on mine over a year no issues, on my daughters since november and no issues at all. When reading reviews be open minded, i read them too before i posted the link, the one guy "did this stuff for a living" and the next two were railing on chinese relays.
Before i did the upgrade with my new kc lights i melted a harness and plugs, new front harness was 360 bucks. Now no worries at all.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #4949
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin
Same harness I have. I've had to replace one relay but no complaints. If you replace the relays with ones that fit its like 25. However you can just buy $5 relays and transfer the wires if you're savvy
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #4950
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: No response yet from OME, although they've had my e-mail for...well, a couple of days, now. I guess I'm going to have to try and manage it with a phone call.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.