The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 330 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #4936
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In regards to the headlights, what is H4? My stock ones suck and I want something better but I can't stomach $300 a piece for the LED conversion.

Unread 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #4937
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
In regards to the headlights, what is H4? My stock ones suck and I want something better but I can't stomach $300 a piece for the LED conversion.
The H4 is just a different type of bulb than the stock ones that we have; it's a twin-filament halogen that fits a slightly-different housing. Also, it makes use of a replacement harness that can supply a LOT more power to the bulbs themselves; the stock wiring to the headlights is pretty skimpy so the H4 setups replace it with some direct-from-battery wiring and a switched relay that can power some high-output bulbs. Overall, it's a clean, easy and simple way to upgrade - upgrayedd - your stock headlights; the bad news is that the conversion will still cost you somewhere around $200 per unit, or slightly less if you build your own harness. Wiring ain't cheap.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #4938
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna look those up. Great work on the hood and hinges and stuff. Greta is looking good. I don't comment much but I'm always here reading (since day one). Awesome thread man. Keep it up!
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #4939
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
Wow! Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna look those up. Great work on the hood and hinges and stuff. Greta is looking good. I don't comment much but I'm always here reading (since day one). Awesome thread man. Keep it up!
No problem, man... I'm glad to help, and I certainly appreciate the compliments on Greta's latest updates. I hope you keep reading, and enjoying.

Unread 06-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #4940
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is an h4 wiring set up that comes w relay, plugs and everything needed for just about 100-130ish bucks. I did it and love it, was the first mod i did on my daughters 05 rubicon. It will make reg lights brighter as well.
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #4941
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
There is an h4 wiring set up that comes w relay, plugs and everything needed for just about 100-130ish bucks. I did it and love it, was the first mod i did on my daughters 05 rubicon. It will make reg lights brighter as well.
You have more info on this?
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #4942
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I built a harness using his components, run OSRAM 60/65w bulbs, and Hella housings. I have ridiculously adequate headlights.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #4943
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I forget what brand my harness for the xj is but it was only about $35. I don't know if there's a difference.. The whole swap only cost me about $75. Ill do some research when I'm on the computer and see what I can find for TJs.
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #4944
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There really isn't much to the harness. You can cut the plug off your headlights, wire it to a $5 relay and get a $8 H4 plug pigtail and you are in business. Get some decent size wire and a fuse or keep it factory looking and run it through an unused spot in the factory under hood fuse box.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #4945
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I built a harness using his components, run OSRAM 60/65w bulbs, and Hella housings. I have ridiculously adequate headlights.
That's the plan on my end; he's been very helpful. I'm going to opt for the Cibie housings, but aside from that it sounds like we'll have similar setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post
I forget what brand my harness for the xj is but it was only about $35. I don't know if there's a difference.. The whole swap only cost me about $75. Ill do some research when I'm on the computer and see what I can find for TJs.
Let us know what you find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
There really isn't much to the harness. You can cut the plug off your headlights, wire it to a $5 relay and get a $8 H4 plug pigtail and you are in business. Get some decent size wire and a fuse or keep it factory looking and run it through an unused spot in the factory under hood fuse box.
I think it's really a matter of the sorry-a** factory wiring, more than anything else; the factory stuff just can't supply a high-wattage bulb. If you can find some decent hardware to go with adequately-sized wire you can assemble a harness for not-a-great-amount. I was planning on getting my components from Stern, mostly because I've heard exactly zero complaints about them and because I'd like to give the guy a bit of business for having helped me out with innumerable questions. I may buy housings from him as well, depending on what I find when it's time to purchase them.

Unread 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #4946
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

this is what i got, took more time to open the box than to install it. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW...3+jeep+rubicon
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #4947
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin
this is what i got, took more time to open the box than to install it. http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW...3+jeep+rubicon
How long have you run this? Any issues? Some of those reviews kinda turned me a bit
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #4948
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatONeJeePeR View Post
How long have you run this? Any issues? Some of those reviews kinda turned me a bit
Been on mine over a year no issues, on my daughters since november and no issues at all. When reading reviews be open minded, i read them too before i posted the link, the one guy "did this stuff for a living" and the next two were railing on chinese relays.
Before i did the upgrade with my new kc lights i melted a harness and plugs, new front harness was 360 bucks. Now no worries at all.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #4949
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin
Same harness I have. I've had to replace one relay but no complaints. If you replace the relays with ones that fit its like 25. However you can just buy $5 relays and transfer the wires if you're savvy
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #4950
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: No response yet from OME, although they've had my e-mail for...well, a couple of days, now. I guess I'm going to have to try and manage it with a phone call.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.