The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 328 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #4906
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Time to buy my trucklites from me
Basic wiring upgrade, H4's, good housings...that'll take care of it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #4907
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That's an interesting problem I wouldn't have thought of... Do HID's have that same issue, and do they make a good HID's for wranglers yet?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #4908
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
That's an interesting problem I wouldn't have thought of... Do HID's have that same issue, and do they make a good HID's for wranglers yet?
I would think that the projectors would mask a great deal of the unintentional glare...but I don't know of a solid "it fits with no work, whatsoever" kit. I'm not a huge fan of HID projectors, anyway, though; that's why - after researching it quite a bit - I decided to stay with the basic H4 upgrade and add auxiliary lighting as it's needed.

Unread 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #4909
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Most of the HID's you see on tuner cars with the horrific blue light and crappy non HID specific housings make a real bad name for HID's.

I had a Nissan Murano that had factory projectors, and those were some of the best headlights I've ever seen. Nice pure white light, and perfect cutoff.

Unread 06-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #4910
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=205

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #4911
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Lol I remember that first night, I just don't look down

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #4912
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Most of the HID's you see on tuner cars with the horrific blue light and crappy non HID specific housings make a real bad name for HID's.

I had a Nissan Murano that had factory projectors, and those were some of the best headlights I've ever seen. Nice pure white light, and perfect cutoff.
To clarify the HID is the bulb. You need a projector housing to properly concentrate the extra light of an HID bulb to get the full effects
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4913
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most of the HID's you see on tuner cars with the horrific blue light and crappy non HID specific housings make a real bad name for HID's. I had a Nissan Murano that had factory projectors, and those were some of the best headlights I've ever seen. Nice pure white light, and perfect cutoff.
I agree...the hack-job refits really gave them a bad name. My issue with them is perhaps more personal than most; I don't particularly care for their spectral range/output...and that goes for even the best of them. I do a lot better with full-spectrum color rendering; that's also the reason that I have issues with LED units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
That's a very good source; if anyone's looking, I'd suggest going through them. They always answered all of my questions directly, promptly, and professionally; that's par for the course for them, to my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeProof View Post
Lol I remember that first night, I just don't look down
I wish that would work...but I'm literally sitting at the exact wrong position; the light is shining directly at my eyes regardless of which way they're pointed. As usual, it's all about the geometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4x4Yet View Post
To clarify the HID is the bulb. You need a projector housing to properly concentrate the extra light of an HID bulb to get the full effects
And I usually think of short-arc and halide lamps as being contained in an "arc tube" rather than a "bulb" because that latter terms carries the implication of a filament being present.

Unread 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #4914
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also don't particularly like HID headlights. Everything looks funny in the light they put out. Why not just fab up a shield to cover the holes? Notch it to go around the headlight connector, and bolt it to the existing hardware. Shouldnt be too hard.
357transam is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #4915
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I also don't particularly like HID headlights. Everything looks funny in the light they put out. Why not just fab up a shield to cover the holes? Notch it to go around the headlight connector, and bolt it to the existing hardware. Shouldnt be too hard.
That's sort of what I'm thinking of doing; I'm hoping to be able to get a look at it in the next day or so, when my back hopefully feels better. In the meantime, I'm having all kinds of fun doing axle research...and I'm also considering the potential wisdom of not holding out for an aluminum-blocked engine.

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4916
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Because of this thread I keep researching axle swaps and more and more suspension when I probably don't even have a jeep anymore. -_-

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #4917
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Because of this thread I keep researching axle swaps and more and more suspension when I probably don't even have a jeep anymore. -_-
Knowledge is never too dear.

Unread 06-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #4918
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What is the order you are thinking about doing things next?

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #4919
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What is the order you are thinking about doing things next?
In something approaching a clear order...

- I'm chasing ground clearance and improved ride quality more than anything else, so the first item on the list is control arms; I've still got the stock ones and they're doing nothing but making the ride more jarring by the day because the bushings are old, hardened and act almost entirely unlike a bushing should act. Simply replacing the factory Clevite junk with fresh, non-restrictive joints will do a lot to improve the harshness I'm experiencing...and whatever portion of the ride's harshness isn't taken care of by decent joints should be somewhat mitigated by new shocks in the front. The rears are okay, but there's no doubt in my mind that the front ones are dead; I may go ahead and pony up the caps for some reservoirs.

- In addition to helping the ride and the suspension's articulation, the control arms will allow me to get started on the tummy tuck. I'm going as flat as I can go underneath, so in addition to the flat skid itself - which is going to take quite a bit of work - I'm going to have to pick up a cable shifter and a driveshaft. The last time I was out the transfer case skid was the item I tagged the most - three or four times - so hopefully a bit more clearance will make up for my mediocre driving skillz.

- Once the belly is a bit more trim, I'll be ready to start working more seriously on a few other miscellaneous items; first among those will be a heavier steering linkage, and shortly following that, improved rocker armor. I'd hope that by this time my welding skillz would be at a point to where I could confidently tackle my crossmember/bumper modification and the rear shock outboarding. I'd also like to get my shower built and installed, the wiring upgraded for better headlights and other electrical things, some radio communications installed and hopefully a little bit better of a stereo. That's a long list of miscellaneous stuff, and I didn't even include everything...

- While I'm tackling all of these other things, some of the bigger modifications will hopefully be taking place outside of the rig; at the top of that list would be the 5.3 engine build, the rear axle build, and a high-clearance gas tank. None of those are cheap, easy or quick...but they also do not require me to take Greta off of the road until it's time to install them. I can also work on a few other long-term/random projects: my trail gear and electrical boxes that are about half-finished, the cabin air filter, my half-doors, and the like.

That's a pretty long list, and it should take me quite a while to get through it; like Imped said...you can't do it all at once. Did I mention that I might want to work on a narrowed winch, too? I've also got to do something about highlining the fenders.

Unread 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #4920
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was just reading a build on pirate (idk which one, it was in the ultimate tj build up 9/609 the guy was in Mexico) where the guy narrowed his winch. Never had seen it done and seemed pretty cool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.