The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #436
Toonces
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Thanks for the informative and entertaining posts!

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #437
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
What pressure are you running, currently? 31's can be run a lot higher than 35's and still be very comfortable.
I'm running them all right at 30 psi. You have any suggestions on what I should be running?

On another note: I was telling my wife about this thread and told she needs to come out and help me work on my jeep. Not really working for me. Any suggestions there?
Lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #438
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Of what?
Falkens

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #439
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work so far Sundowner!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #440
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I'm running them all right at 30 psi. You have any suggestions on what I should be running?

On another note: I was telling my wife about this thread and told she needs to come out and help me work on my jeep. Not really working for me. Any suggestions there?
30 PSI shouldn't be too high. You might try 28 PSI, but I doubt that you're over-inflated. Hell, try it and see how it rides...if it's better and you've got good tire wear then keep it. If not, go back up.

And now...

Lessons In Love: How To Get Your Girlfriend To Work On A Jeep

Girls don't usually like anything that happens in garages, and if you find one that does then you need to marry her because such creatures are priceless treasures in the Wasteland. So although this seems complicated at first glance, I'm here to tell you that it doesn't have to be. Simply remember this: Show her that it's not about the Jeep...it's more about you and her spending time together.

To that end, you should notice that I did not use the word "need" anywhere in that sentence. Why? Because there is no reason to tell her that she "needs" to do anything. Get "need" right out of your head, because "need" reduces someone to being nothing more than a necessity...and, really, who wants to be a necessity? Water and air and food and sleep are necessities. People want to be wanted...they want to be a choice. So you don't tell her that any given thing "needs" to happen. Hell, you don't tell her anything like that at all...you show her. Your actions - and this is true for all parts of all relationships - need to telegraph one very important thought: that you want to spend time with her...and that you enjoy spending time with her regardless of what you might be doing.

Let's make that a bit more clear: the particulars of the activity are irrelevant...what matters is the enjoyment of being around each other. In my own case, Anna knows that I'd be perfectly content if she never picked up a wrench...she could sit there in the garage and crochet all day and I'd be fine. We could still talk, keep each other company and generally enjoy being around each other...and that's what it's really all about, in the end: a simple desire to spend time together. To that end: if your girl just isn't naturally interested in helping out, then that's fine...you go do what you want to do and then make sure to come in from the garage a little early just to spend some time with her. By doing so you show her that you've made a choice and that the choice is her. Oftentimes - due to your having made the choice to spend time together - you will soon find her choosing to wander out to the garage just to spend time with you.

Seriously, this is all the effort that's required in most cases...but what if you've shown interest in spending time with her and she still doesn't seem to be reciprocally connecting with you in a garage-wards way? Easy answer: begin involving your girl in small ways by ACTIVELY showing interest in her participation and then ACTIVELY encouraging any interest that she then returns. In order to build a person's confidence and interest in regards to any given subject, you often have to give them a way to be involved without overwhelming them...in other words, you need to bring a little bit of the garage to her! As a simple example: try asking her opinion on something. It doesn't matter whether she has an intimate knowledge of the subject or not...you're looking to involve her in ways that rely on preferences instead of knowledge. Opinion-based questions show the person being asked that you - the questioner - are trying to connect with them rather than with an abstractly-correct answer. Thus, a simple "Hey, what do you think about how these tires/seats/tube fenders/rocker guards/beadlocks/half doors look?" query can allow her to simply talk without risk on an otherwise-daunting or uninteresting subject...and by talking with each other the focus is again on the two of you spending time together. It may take some time, but she won't overlook the effort you are making with her...and - if it's a healthy relationship - those efforts WILL be reciprocated.

It's really that simple...so unless you're a total f***tard, you can't screw this up. All you have to do is show her that spending time together is important to you: if you can manage that, you will likely find her more than willing to get involved in whatever way she thinks she can help.

And that, my friends, is how you get your wife/girlfriend/sweetheart/mistress to work on a Jeep with you.

You're welcome.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #441
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You are a wise man.
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #442
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Love this Thread!!!

Oustanding thread! I'm looking at doing this upgrade to my 04 Ruby and I am running 15" steel wheels and 33's. Do you think that the 15" Kit will have the same stopping power?

I'm kinda computer stupid so forgive me if this is a dumb question but "How do you subscribe to a thread?" and also what does it mean when someone posts "Bump" in a thread?

Patiently waiting for the "Tool Kit list" as I really need to down size the monumental amount of crap I take out Jeeping!
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #443
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
Oustanding thread! I'm looking at doing this upgrade to my 04 Ruby and I am running 15" steel wheels and 33's. Do you think that the 15" Kit will have the same stopping power?

I'm kinda computer stupid so forgive me if this is a dumb question but "How do you subscribe to a thread?" and also what does it mean when someone posts "Bump" in a thread?

Patiently waiting for the "Tool Kit list" as I really need to down size the monumental amount of crap I take out Jeeping!
You're subscribed once you reply to the thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/wh...p-mean-586681/
redrelyt12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #444
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRubicon View Post
You are a wise man.
Well we knew that much purely from my taste in sammiches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDOK9 View Post
No, it won't. I don't have experience with the 15" kit, personally, but I can give you a direct quote from the man that designed and builds both of them: "If the 16" kit didn't offer significant advantages over the 15" kit, I wouldn't waste my time building it."

With that said, the 15" kit with 33's will be a healthy level of overkill. I see no reason that it wouldn't lock the tires quickly, 100% of the time. Based on my experience I believe you'll be pleased.

Unread 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #445
KrzyMoke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sundowner, you need to change your handle to Jeep Swammi for all the great advice here. Nice work
KrzyMoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #446
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Holy crap we need to start calling you Dr. Sundowner the Wise!
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #447
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyMoke View Post
Sundowner, you need to change your handle to Jeep Swammi for all the great advice here. Nice work
Well, I am a hell of a yeti-basher...but...Jeep Swami...I like that. I don't merit it, but I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Holy crap we need to start calling you Dr. Sundowner the Wise!
Another serviceable idea...but...man...Jeep Swami...that's really good. Damn it, I really wish that it wouldn't be the height of arrogance to appropriate that title! Maybe I could go with Occasional Jeep Swami...hmm...

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #448
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just put in your sig....Part Time Jeep Swami, Full Time Bad *** Bearded Sammich Eater. That may be a bit long though
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #449
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Philosophy of Jeep

You could teach it.

It's threads like this that keep me up too late at night. Thanks for the on-going lessons.

By the way, does your handle come with colors? The name has a familiar ring to it.
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #450
StillYDGN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Holy crap. Come on here to read about jeeps and i find something that will help me out and intrests me just as much, if not more. Very wise words. I give you props for being a person willing to share all withbus readers, really makes this build thread so much more, including a great success
StillYDGN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.