The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #31
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you'll be having a lot of fun.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #32
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGATRTJ View Post
Sweet build. Any ideas to prevent radiation poisoning?
You know...I happen to have a Geiger counter laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
Do you have plans for a Fat-Man launcher?
No, but I have a working M1919-A6, and it wouldn't take a lot to convert it to a twin-spade grip for use on the roll bar pintle mount. It's basically just a matter of pulling the side plates to change out the rear plate and trigger bar. Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcaveman View Post
turn up the AC next time anna helps
Dude...that would kill you, and if it somehow didn't kill you, it would definitely unhinge your jaw.

I'm behind on updates today because I went up to RubiTrux to check out their operation. Anna has to get something else to drive - her Mustang is just too low to the ground to be comfortable while entering and exiting, due to the back injury - and we're thinking hard on trying to trade her car for an LJ Rubicon, straight up. Then we'd go with the half-cab conversion, because I think we can handle that in the garage at home without breaking a sweat. We're going to try to get down to Lexington, SC and check out a GR8 Top, as well. From what I see so far, I like the GR8 Top better than the AEV unit that RubiTrux uses.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to read through this!
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #34
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed to Annabelle...and your jeep! LOL
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #35
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Saga of The Problematic Rear Shock, Part One

For the slower members of the class, the moral of the story is this: always, always, ALWAYS check your parts before you get started. WAY before you get started. You need read no further...but you'll miss out on me being really frustrated if you quit now. With that said......

One of the best things about finally saving up the money to start on your Jeep build is realizing that if you do some careful shopping, you won't have to spend it all! Party on! Bonus!

So, yeah...I shopped around and scored a pretty good deal on OME's 2.5" setup. N66's and N67's, and the 933 and 942 springs. I got the heavier springs because we anticipate loading the Jeep with some heavier gear down the road...the lighter-weight springs - and OME confirmed this, incidentally - would be too soft, and I'd have more sag in the rear than is desirable...and nobody wants a sagging rear. Believe it or not, I ordered the whole deal from Amazon...they had the best price, and free shipping. Along with the springs and shocks, I ordered a set of Alloy USA wheel spacers and the Daystar body lift. Everything showed up about three days later. I was busy all day so the boxes sat in the living room until late that evening/early next morning. When I started unboxing things, I found these lovely wheel spacers...

The red even goes well with the black and white color scheme of the Jeep.

Little-known-fact: If you feed your wheel spacers after midnight, they multiply.

Now, why are we seeing wheel spacers in a thread about a problematic rear shock? Mostly because I got excited over them to the point that I didn't un-box a single additional part until after noon on the Friday that I was about to get started ripping things into pieces. That's when a now-familar situation occurred.

As I've said before, that's an improperly-boxed shock. Now, consider that as I'm unpacking these babies, it's about 4:30 on a Friday and the Jeep is already partially in pieces...and that's when all the fun started. I don't have pictures of the fun, because they would only include me pacing around the garage on a cell phone, wondering how long my partially-disassembled Jeep was going to take to get put back together.

I ordered from Amazon, so I got in touch with them. Amazon Customer Service Girl knew about as much on the subject of shocks as Ginger or Mary Ann would have. Actually, Mary Ann might have been more useful...Ginger was just a bimbo, though. Here's what happened, in order:

- Amazon Customer Service Girl suggests I just send the entire order back and that they refund the money.
- I inform her that my Jeep already being on jack stands precludes this option.
- She tells me that they'll just overnight me a replacement shock due to the circumstances.
- "Oh, that's perfect!" I reply.
- She then tells me that - after checking inventory - they don't stock this shock anymore.
- I respond with "Uh..."
- She then tells me that - after checking inventory - they don't even stock the entire kit, anymore.
- I repsond with another "Uh..."
- She suggests that they give me a partial refund, since I'll have to see about getting one from the manufacturer.
- I tell her that this will be fine, as long as they cover the cost of shipping.
- She then asks whether or not 20% of the order total will be an acceptable refund.
- I reluctantly agree to this amount.

After this, I call ARB to check on getting a new shock. Calling ARB is only slightly more efficient of a process than I imagine calling Interpol to be. In the space of ten minutes, they had the replacement shock on the way to me. Shortly thereafter, a refund notification from Amazon shows up in my e-mail, for not just 20% of the price of the spring and shock kit, but the order itself...so I got 20% off the body lift and the wheel spacers, too. Schwing!

The shock showed up the following Monday, and I finally managed to get it un-mustarded, so that it matched the rest.

Everything seemed to be working out just fine, at this point. I had much refund-age, and I had worked out a few potential issues with other parts that I had questions about. Little did I know, however, that The Saga of The Problematic Rear Shock was far from over...

to be continued...

P.S. All relevant and appropriate apologies to both Tina Louise and Dawn Wells. However, the resultant typecasting was fair, Tina...it was fair, and you know it. And you also know that the world being forever saddled with Judith Baldwin is totally your fault.

Unread 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #36
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Warning: This post contains some awesomely Fallout-esque parts-scrounging.

Pop Quiz: What do you do with the following items: an old cell phone charger, some Chap Stick, two butt-splices, a piece of red tubing that fell off of an aerosol can, some superglue and a random momentary contact switch?

Answer: Add one can of Throttle Body cleaner and build an injector cleaner.

Valuable Information: This thing worked ridiculously well. I learned that it's really not a matter of pressurizing the injector as much as it is just holding the solenoid open while shooting cleaner through it. If I had to buy the parts to build one, I'd just get an on/off contact switch, and make life easier. To operate it, you first backflush the injector by holding the injector solenoid open with the switch and then spraying cleaner through the injector itself in short bursts. Then you reverse it and spray through it in the normal way. This won't do the job of an ultrasonic cleaner and total rebuild, but it will get nasty varnish deposits off of your injectors and help them spray a bit better.

Unread 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #37
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Simply Amazing! Well done sir, well done! Sorry to hear about the whole shock issue, and I couldn't agree more about de-mustarding those shocks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #38
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I caught you relatively in the beginning of your build, everything looks awesome subbed
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #39
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Simply Amazing! Well done sir, well done! Sorry to hear about the whole shock issue, and I couldn't agree more about de-mustarding those shocks.
It gets worse, my friend...it gets worse. We haven't gotten to the part where - to all impressions - a small bird seemingly gets trapped near the evap canister and refuses to make noise on command.

And yes, that paragraph will make sense when you read Part Two.

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #40
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
It gets worse, my friend...it gets worse. We haven't gotten to the part where - to all impressions - a small bird seemingly gets trapped near the evap canister and refuses to make noise on command.

And yes, that paragraph will make sense when you read Part Two.
I'm on "pins & needles" waiting!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #41
CherokeeTamer
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Subbed for Annabelle

jk... kinda...

anyways i love the build so far, keep it up
CherokeeTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #42
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Random insomnia sucked... Until I read this thread at 4 AM.
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #43
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Warning: This post contains some awesomely Fallout-esque parts-scrounging.

Pop Quiz: What do you do with the following items: an old cell phone charger, some Chap Stick, two butt-splices, a piece of red tubing that fell off of an aerosol can, some superglue and a random momentary contact switch?

Answer: Add one can of Throttle Body cleaner and build an injector cleaner.

Valuable Information: This thing worked ridiculously well. I learned that it's really not a matter of pressurizing the injector as much as it is just holding the solenoid open while shooting cleaner through it. If I had to buy the parts to build one, I'd just get an on/off contact switch, and make life easier. To operate it, you first backflush the injector by holding the injector solenoid open with the switch and then spraying cleaner through the injector itself in short bursts. Then you reverse it and spray through it in the normal way. This won't do the job of an ultrasonic cleaner and total rebuild, but it will get nasty varnish deposits off of your injectors and help them spray a bit better.
I thought you were making a mini flame thrower. My interest was peaked until I found out it was a cleaning device
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #44
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Crawled. Looking good so far
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTamer View Post
Subbed for Annabelle

jk... kinda...
It's okay, man...I drool over her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGATRTJ View Post
I thought you were making a mini flame thrower. My interest was peaked until I found out it was a cleaning device
You mean to say that your interest was piqued...not peaked. And flamethrowers are interesting devices, no doubt. I think we've all ignited a stream of something that comes from an aerosol can at least once or twice in our lives. However, if you really want to build a flamethrower, keep the following points in mind:

- All of the plumbing HAS to be leak-proof. You're standing in a furnace when you carry one of these things.
- You need a high-pressure three-tank system: twin fuel tanks and a central pressure unit. This keeps the tanks balanced on your back.
- Diesel or jellied gasoline for the fuel, nitrogen for the pressure gas, and a magnesium flare for the ignition. These are your cheapest options, because flamethrowers can be relatively expensive to operate.
- You'll have better results if you saturate an area with unlit fuel, and then hit it with a short, ignited blast. This prevents you from suffering the heat blast off of the flamethrower to the greatest possible degree, and also prevents a huge amount of fuel burning on the way to the target.
- They're highly illegal to possess without the proper paperwork and/or tax stamps. Act accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
Random insomnia sucked... Until I read this thread at 4 AM.
Are...are you saying my thread put you to sleep??

I'm kidding. Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorty View Post
Crawled. Looking good so far
Awesome! Thank you! There's more on the way!

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.