The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #421
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why I'm An Idiot - A Short Pictorial Essay

So, I'm sure that everyone remembers that part, earlier, where I said that I wasn't going to get much done on the Jeep today. Here's a copy of it, just in case you've forgotten or had your mind on sammiches the whole time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Today's Jeeping: I may just sit around and be amazed at the traffic that the thread is getting...
See that statement right there? The "I may just sit around" part? Yeah, that's where I went and f****** myself over. As soon as I said that, something unfortunate was bound to happen...and in this particular case, the unfortunateness came in the form of tiny little gray spots all over Greta's paint.

I have no idea what happened, but it looked for all the world like some sort of chemical had lightly misted over the hood and front fenders and turned the white paint gray. I thought at first that it was just a bunch of dust that had settled out in the dew from the night before, but when I tried to wash it off...nothing. It was stuck fast. And it wasn't anything that was on the paint...it was actually in the paint. The mystery deepened when I noticed that it was only on the flat surfaces...there was nothing to be found on the grille or the sides of the hood and fenders. Only on the tops...and a bit on the cowl. It was the worst on the center, raised portion of the hood. There, I could actually see a difference in the color of the paint from a couple of feet away.

After my trusty washing mitt failed I tried some Simple Green...and that failed as well. I even put some serious pressure on it...and still nothing. I tried a couple of different car washes, some Purple Power, etc, etc...and the specks were still there. Let me emphasize at this point that it wasn't just a spot or two here and there...it looked like someone had been spray painting over top of the hood. I tried to get a picture but my dumb-a** cell phone couldn't focus on the hood close enough to show the discoloration...yet another reason to get a digital camera.

So, when all else had failed, I did something that I'm reasonably sure has only rarely - if ever - been done in The History of Jeep Paint Care...I took a clay bar to it. Some of you guys that have played with show cars know what I'm talking about. For the rest of the class, the quickest way to explain clay-barring is this: you rub a handful of magic Play-Doh across the paint with some touch-up spray as an emulsifier, and the clay actually lifts impurities out of the paint surface. You can touch up rust discoloration, imbedded road dust and all manner of other surface contaminants...and evidently, you can also get rid of Mysterious And Tiny Gray Spots. It took a LOT of rubbing, but eventually, results started to show. The outside of the top surface and the cowl were very easy to clean...probably took me about ten minutes, total. Likewise with the fenders. The center of the hood, however...holy f***...I worked on that part for about three hours...but I wasn't going to give up until it was perfect.

Pictured: This is retarded.

I got the main, open areas done first, and then went back to work around the footman loop and windshield bumpers and hinges. Right about the time I finished the second windshield bumper, a totally random question came into my mind, regarding the hood louver panel I want to install. The question was this: "Are all of the hood louver panels made with provisions for the loop and the bumpers, or could I leave those out if I wanted? Does anyone make one that's not pre-drilled? Hmm..."

Then it hit me: I'm going to install a hood louver panel that takes up the entire central raised portion of the hood...

Yeah.

Sammich time.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #422
bamstar6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
There will be NO discussion of The Four Great Forbidden Topics in my thread, because they are the inevitable source of strife, discord, and petty arguing. Those topics are: politics, religion, baseball, and redheads. Everything else is fair game. Offenders will be sacked.*
Agreed!
Unread 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #423
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Paint surface looks nice and smooth!! I play with clay all the time and it really does make a huge difference. The surface becomes smooth as glass and like sundowner said, it removes a ton of impurities from the clear coat. This is mostly noticable with white jeeps that collect those nasty orange rail dust deposits over time, takes that crap right out.
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #424
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear you got it off!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #425
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta love the clay bar! Did you figure out what the spots were?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #426
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Gotta love the clay bar! Did you figure out what the spots were?
I have no idea, but they're on Annabelle's LJ as well. Something that was in the air, I suppose. Some kind of precipitate. Regardless, I was an idiot to spotlessly clean an area of sheet metal that's going to go bye-bye.

Unrelated Update: I got back in touch with ARB today, and they told me that my shock should be here next Wednesday. They have no idea WHY it took a month or why I never got a tracking number, but it's already en-route. Go figure...

Unread 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #427
nicyousuckk
1997 ZJ 

29 pages of reading... that's more than I've voluntarily done in 4 semesters of college. Good stuff!
nicyousuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #428
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I would like to say for the record... barium.
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #429
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow man I totally feel your pain. i found myself in a similiar, why am I doing this when I will be replacing it in a few weeks, situation.

For some reason after installing my front locker my nemisis, THE SHIMMY, came back with a vegance. So, I immediately brought it to have the tire balance redone as I have had a slight shimmy forever. The shimmy was worse after the balance. So, this morning after working all night I decided I must not have torqued something properly and thats where the shimmy was coming from. Obviously, thats the only thing that had changed due to the locker install. So, as I am checking the very last torque value it hit me.

I will be pulling my entire suspension and steering out in a few weeks and the shimmy isn't all that bad. After wasting over an hour of good sleep time I trudged off to bed with no satisfaction. THE SHIMMY has not subsided.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #430
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicyousuckk View Post
29 pages of reading... that's more than I've voluntarily done in 4 semesters of college. Good stuff!
Ahh...College...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
So, as I am checking the very last torque value it hit me.
Yep. Sammich time. No question about it.

Unread 04-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #431
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wish. Had to work tonight and tomorrow night. No sammich for me. Perhaps on Sunday.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #432
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
there will be no discussion of the four great forbidden topics in my thread, because they are the inevitable source of strife, discord, and petty arguing. Those topics are: Politics, religion, baseball, and redheads. Everything else is fair game. Offenders will be sacked.*

* the republic of dave thanks you for your compliance.

Found the thread via the newsletter. crawled all 29 pages.
for you sir! I live over in the WK forum, but this was a blast to read.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #433
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
This is like saying you've never seen The Goonies. Damn near unexcusable
the who???

just kidding

as for the hood/ louver predicament, I hate that **** :
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #434
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
There will be NO discussion of The Four Great Forbidden Topics in my thread, because they are the inevitable source of strife, discord, and petty arguing. Those topics are: politics, religion, baseball, and redheads. Everything else is fair game. Offenders will be sacked.
Haha! Did you read my batmobile thread?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #435
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Haha! Did you read my batmobile thread?
No, I didn't...but now I'm going to do so.

Today's Jeeping: I plan on making every effort to get my locker compressors pulled out...and if I can find a camera, I'll get the pictures that I want for my first Toolkit essay. Every time I've gotten them finished I've then added or subtracted something and thus caused the photos to become obsolete. We'll see.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.