The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 289 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #4321
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/FIXIT.html

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #4322
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Just something to consider......
Hmmm... I might actually try that.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #4323
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Just something to consider......

Instead of replacing the mounts, add weld washers. 2" dia x 3/16" thick with a 9/16" center hole. Bolt them up, weld them on and trim the remainder of the thin stock mount off. You've now got >1/4" thick contact surface and a little extra clearance without having to cut the stock mounts off. If you really do end up trashing them, then you're only out a few washers. I did that to my stock front LCA frame mounts and ran them that way for quite some time. They held up great.
That's not a bad idea; I hadn't considered reinforcing the stock mount, but it's a pretty sensible notion. Extra clearance is always good...if I'd had another 1/8" or so under the mounts I wouldn't have hit them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
There you go, being useful again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Hmmm... I might actually try that.
Just when we think we have something figured out...

My replacement plan was to swap in the new control arms and then get everything dialed in nicely - since they're going to be adjustable, I'm almost sure to get one of the lengths adjusted incorrectly - and after having done so, replace two mounts at a time. I can unbolt an arm from the frame side, cut the mount off, bolt the new mount to the control arm that's already length-adjusted, tack the mount in place exactly where it needs to be, and then remove the control arm and burn in the weld. Naturally, if there's a way to screw up what seems to be a screw-proof system, I'll find it...but it's a sound strategy in theory.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4324
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: Now, what could I possibly have ordered? Hmmm...

Unread 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #4325
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Paint to match the hard deck or what?
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #4326
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
There better be pictures of Annabelle installing said louvers....
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #4327
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh naw ya dinnint! Your black to white ratio is reaching equivalency! And I mean that in a cosmetic way!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #4328
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Paint to match the hard deck or what?
The satin black will be close enough for now; remember that I'm going to refinish the deck and that I've not been entirely happy with how the paint has held up. You're on the right page with the eventual plan, though; Bonus Points awarded for Thinking Ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
There better be pictures of Annabelle installing said louvers....
Remember how I said that if people were patient they'd get to see her poking holes in sheet metal...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Oh naw ya dinnint! Your black to white ratio is reaching equivalency! And I mean that in a cosmetic way!
Oh yes I did...and I'm still going to do the hinges, too. In fact, I might do those while I have the hood detached for surgery. Greta will be down for a day or three. Hmmm...

Unread 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #4329
YjStrangler92

Quote:

The satin black will be close enough for now; remember that I'm going to refinish the deck and that I've not been entirely happy with how the paint has held up. You're on the right page with the eventual plan, though; Bonus Points awarded for Thinking Ahead.

Remember how I said that if people were patient they'd get to see her poking holes in sheet metal...?

Oh yes I did...and I'm still going to do the hinges, too. In fact, I might do those while I have the hood detached for surgery. Greta will be down for a day or three. Hmmm...
Atleast your gettin stuff done. I wish I could say the same.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #4330
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nice man, I like the pattern on that louver.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #4331
YjStrangler92

Does anyone in the wasteland know what tj fuel filler neck has the same size hose as a yj? Or are they all the same. I had one person say tanks are exactly the same, and another say fuel hose on filler neck to tank different size between tj and yj. The reason im asking is for my quarter panel armor, I want to relocate fuel fill higher, before I buy quarters with tj spot and shape. I appreciate any help. Oh, sorry for hi-jacking sundowner.back to your regularly scheduled program allready in progress.................................
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #4332
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
Does anyone in the wasteland know what tj fuel filler neck has the same size hose as a yj? Or are they all the same. I had one person say tanks are exactly the same, and another say fuel hose on filler neck to tank different size between tj and yj. The reason im asking is for my quarter panel armor, I want to relocate fuel fill higher, before I buy quarters with tj spot and shape. I appreciate any help. Oh, sorry for hi-jacking sundowner.back to your regularly scheduled program allready in progress.................................
Just cut your existing one and splice in a piece of soft gas line from autozone using the metal hose as a splice bit. Some hose clamps and you are done. Be careful changing the angle of the dangle, your gas will start to back up on you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #4333
YjStrangler92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post

Just cut your existing one and splice in a piece of soft gas line from autozone using the metal hose as a splice bit. Some hose clamps and you are done. Be careful changing the angle of the dangle, your gas will start to back up on you.
Cut what? Is the tj filler hose the same size as the yj hose? Im not asking shape or length, just diameter.
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #4334
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Atleast your gettin stuff done. I wish I could say the same.
It's slow progress, since I haven't yet become Independently Wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Nice man, I like the pattern on that louver.
I do too. It's the most pleasing of the panels that I found, and it's also the one that DOESN'T HAVE A BIG, STUPID LOGO CUT INTO IT.

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #4335
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cut what? Is the tj filler hose the same size as the yj hose? Im not asking shape or length, just diameter.

So you are trying to use a TJ fuel filler and attach it to a YJ tank?

You clearly haven't pulled it out and looked at it. It's like a cup, with a long metal neck, and then there is rubber hose that increases in size and attaches to the tank. So you cut off the neck/pipe portion and use it as a splice so you can use hose clamps on it without collapsing the new soft hose sections you put in. Then you can make it as long as you want.

I would assume it's the same size. It's about an inch if I remember right. Why? I have used a TJ filler with a YJ bezel before, and I have chopped my TJ filler neck to hell and back to make it work with the TNT stretch corners I ran. The bezel bolt pattern will match up IIRC. I have changed the routing all around making it larger and bigger just like I mentioned to you earlier. You don't have to be so smug. I gave you a solution. Use it or don't. Sorry for trying to help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.