The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 282 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #4216
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know much about cryo treating, but I do know a lot of guys would do it in their built SHO's. Make the stock trans capable of 350 plus with hard shifting. I imagine 8000 rpm shifts would be somewhere around the same amount of forces as lower toms with loads of torque. I doubt you will do much speed shifting in Greta, but who am I to say?

357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #4217
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
I don't know much about cryo treating, but I do know a lot of guys would do it in their built SHO's. Make the stock trans capable of 350 plus with hard shifting. I imagine 8000 rpm shifts would be somewhere around the same amount of forces as lower toms with loads of torque. I doubt you will do much speed shifting in Greta, but who am I to say?
After thinking on the transmission issue for most of the day, I've decided that I'm just not going to worry about it for now because it really isn't an issue, yet. I think I'd be better served to see how the 3550 actually holds up behind a relatively stock-ish LS, and then make some decisions with solid information at my disposal. I've got more pressing issues to consider at current.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #4218
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I can tell you the amount of work getting an lsx and a nv4550 in is unreasonable. To get AC, you need to put a huge notch in the frame and you can kiss any hopes of a low profile skid goodbye

An automatic is a lot easier and cheaper. A lot.

If that's no good then maybe you should look into stroking your engine out. Reliable power

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #4219
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So what is Greta's next mod going to be in the near future?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #4220
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I can tell you the amount of work getting an lsx and a nv4550 in is unreasonable. To get AC, you need to put a huge notch in the frame and you can kiss any hopes of a low profile skid goodbye

An automatic is a lot easier and cheaper. A lot.

If that's no good then maybe you should look into stroking your engine out. Reliable power
Oh, I agree on the 4500 issues; there's no clearance to be had and I might as abandon all hope of a flat belly. I really dislike driving automatic transmissions, so that would be an absolute last resort. Stroking the 4.0 would either necessitate a ridiculous amount of downtime or the purchase of a second block, and in either case I'd still be left with the same weight in the front. That's why I gravitated towards an LS build in the first place; I can pick away at it over time and get something better than the stock powerplant for my efforts. It's probably six one way and half a dozen the other, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
So what is Greta's next mod going to be in the near future?
Control arms are the next "let's do a huge write-up" item, but before those happen I'll be doing a louvered hood panel...because there seem to be two MAJOR dents in the hood, now, for reasons unknown to me. I have no idea how they got there, but they showed up at some point during the night a few days ago; my guess is that someone decided to try to dent my hood while I was parked at the local Sprawl-Mart, and I noticed them the next morning. They're VERY visible; you can see them from fifty feet away. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. Instead of having them fixed I'm just going to remove them entirely and replace the affected area with a Hyline Offroad panel.

Anyway...control arms are the next big thing, but I'll be taking pictures of Annabelle doing sheet metal work, first.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #4221
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

I have no idea how they got there, but they showed up at some point during the night a few days ago; my guess is that someone decided to try to dent my hood while I was parked at the local Sprawl-Mart
Damn mouth breathers . You need a pitbull with cana-syphil-aids to tie under it when you leave it .

Quote:
Anyway...control arms are the next big thing, but I'll be taking pictures of Annabelle doing sheet metal work, first.
What flavor are you leaning towards ?
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #4222
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Damn mouth breathers.
That's exactly what it was, I think. There was a group of guys in jacked-up mudwagons - and when I say that, I mean that they had 8" lift blocks under their rear springs and mud covering the entirety of their vehicles - at the corner of the parking lot; I could see some of that crowd wandering over and trying to put a dent in the sheet metal just because they fall between "Toaster" and "Grapefruit" on the Intelligence and Ethics Scale. I hate to be judgmental in that way, but that's truly what I think happened. The dents weren't there before and they were visibly there the next day when I walked out of the house; I wasn't paying attention when I left the store and I don't live in a place that gets visitors at night.

Quote:
What flavor are you leaning towards ?
Pumpkin.

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #4223
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's exactly what it was, I think. There was a group of guys in jacked-up mudwagons - and when I say that, I mean that they had 8" lift blocks under their rear springs and mud covering the entirety of their vehicles - at the corner of the parking lot; I could see some of that crowd wandering over and trying to put a dent in the sheet metal just because they fall between "Toaster" and "Grapefruit" on the Intelligence and Ethics Scale. I hate to be judgmental in that way, but that's truly what I think happened. The dents weren't there before and they were visibly there the next day when I walked out of the house; I wasn't paying attention when I left the store and I don't live in a place that gets visitors at night.
I do not like it when people mess with my junk ...
Quote:

Pumpkin.
Have you been talking to Kimbo ?
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #4224
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I agree on the 4500 issues; there's no clearance to be had and I might as abandon all hope of a flat belly. I really dislike driving automatic transmissions, so that would be an absolute last resort.
Do you need overdrive? I'm sure you've read about the SM465.. VERY beefy transmission, with a DEEP first. Most of the times I use first, I'm goofing around.
It came in heavy duty Chevy's and should bolt right to the LS (they use the same bellhousing pattern as the 350 and 4.3, right?) and hold up to almost anything

But, you don't get OD.. And they shift like a truck; long, slow throw between gears

Quote:
Looking forward to this

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4225
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you been talking to Kimbo ?
Nope! But they really will be pumpkin-flavored. Seriously. I wouldn't lie to you about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz View Post
Do you need overdrive? I'm sure you've read about the SM465.. VERY beefy transmission, with a DEEP first. Most of the times I use first, I'm goofing around. It came in heavy duty Chevy's and should bolt right to the LS (they use the same bellhousing pattern as the 350 and 4.3, right?) and hold up to almost anything. But, you don't get OD.. And they shift like a truck; long, slow throw between gears
Lots of highway miles mean that overdrive is a necessity. With that said, I'm familiar with the four-speeds and they're great transmissions...but I don't think that they'll work for what I need, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz View Post
Looking forward to this
I think it'll be worth seeing.

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #4226
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i dont know if you've considered this option, and it might be a heathens statement - but it seems like the easiest most reliable option for getting as close to to perfect weight distribution as you can might be to find something with a 3.6L and manual transmission

just a thought

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #4227
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i dont know if you've considered this option, and it might be a heathens statement - but it seems like the easiest most reliable option for getting as close to to perfect weight distribution as you can might be to find something with a 3.6L and manual transmission

just a thought
Now, that's thinking outside the box!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #4228
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, that's nothing heathen-ish. I don't know what it would take to procure one or what I would have to do to make it work, but that's not an insurmountable obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Now, that's thinking outside the box!
And it's one of the biggest reasons that I enjoy this thread; there are a lot of good, non-linear suggestions and innovative ideas that get thrown about. With that being said, the simplest suggestion is this: use the factory transmission like I originally planned, and see how it goes. It fits, it's rated for 300 lb-ft. at 7,200 lbs. GVW, it doesn't weigh much and it has a 4-ish first gear and overdrive. I know that if I started making an LS into a more healthy engine I'd end up breaking it, but I'm really not going that route; I'd rather shoot for 300-ish torque/horsepower and the best fuel economy I can get. I'm going to give Novak a call tomorrow and pick their brains about how survivable the 3550 really is when behind a mild/stock LS; although the website states that V8 conversions with the 3550 are done with "excellent success" I'd like to see what they think of the idea when given my specific criteria. Honestly, I think that it can work and work reasonably well...but we'll see. I think I'm just over-complicating things by assuming the necessity of a swap.

Unread 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #4229
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was going to suggest looking into the NSG370 from my model year, but after some research, it's rated for less torque than the 3550... Didn't really think they would go backwards with the tranny...
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #4230
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

It's severely underrated IMO, its a really solid unit.

When I suggested a 3.6 and manual, I didn't mean stealing the driveline, I meant moving into a jeep that came with one from the factory.

A whole new slew of challenges and outside the box thoughts on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.