The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 280 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #4186
slmason72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Before I can pick up Bioshock, a working 360 needs to have my name all over it. I've repaired mine to the point where it was as much of a zombie as it could be without actually getting up and moving around; a tragic accident involving a cardboard box, gravity and the floor finally rendered it fully dead. Now it makes tinkling noises when one tilts it side to side. I made the world's most expensive rain stick. Jayne would be proud.

Information Request: If anyone has any good tips on adapting the LS block to an NV3550, send them my way. I've read through the Novak and Advance Adapters site, but that's about all I've found so far; most of the technical information that I've bookmarked assumes that the GM automatic tranny will be used in place of the TJ's stock unit.
If you are looking for a budget build, it would probably be cheaper to keep the stock GM / Chevy transmission. They are regarded as equal to or superior to the equivalent jeep transmission and will save you the cost and complexity of an adapter.

Finding a manual might be an issue....

I know you like to overdo things and travel your own path, but going with the LS4 / 3550 rather than the LM7 with native transmission is just inviting unnecessary issues.

Also, would you happen to mean the LM4 engine?

slmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #4187
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

Details? Explanation? Links?
Search, Terminator

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #4188
jordanread
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Jayne would be proud.
This...is why I love this thread. Wish I had more to offer on the engine swap, still just trying to get mine to work. :-) Also thinking of hood louvers, but you beat me to it...I'm still drooling over Falkens...and a lift...and a disc brake conversion...and...oh screw it.

[B]Boris
2000 XJ Sport - From stock to unstoppable.
[/B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-surviving-adventure-1530551/"]Building Boris - Surviving the Adventure[/URL] (The fun)
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-boris-details-1530552/"]Building Boris - The Details[/URL] (The write-ups)
jordanread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #4189
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmason72 View Post
If you are looking for a budget build, it would probably be cheaper to keep the stock GM / Chevy transmission. They are regarded as equal to or superior to the equivalent jeep transmission and will save you the cost and complexity of an adapter. Finding a manual might be an issue....
Exactly. There won't be an automatic installed. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmason72 View Post
I know you like to overdo things and travel your own path, but going with the LS4 / 3550 rather than the LM7 with native transmission is just inviting unnecessary issues. Also, would you happen to mean the LM4 engine?
I'm looking at the LM4, along with the L33. Those are the top candidates, right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Search, Terminator
Okay, I'll look around and see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanread View Post
This...is why I love this thread. Wish I had more to offer on the engine swap, still just trying to get mine to work. :-) Also thinking of hood louvers, but you beat me to it...I'm still drooling over Falkens...and a lift...and a disc brake conversion...and...oh screw it.
The list just keeps piling up, doesn't it?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #4190
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Information Request: If anyone has any good tips on adapting the LS block to an NV3550, send them my way. I've read through the Novak and Advance Adapters site, but that's about all I've found so far; most of the technical information that I've bookmarked assumes that the GM automatic tranny will be used in place of the TJ's stock unit.
The NV3350 is going to be at it's torque limit with a healthy 5.3. You are going to have to be nice to it or you will be scattering pieces all over the place. Adapting it to the 5.3 is easy. Less wiring than an auto too. Tell your programmer you are running a manual and you are good to go. Adapters are available from Novak and Advanced adapters.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #4191
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

http://www.rsgear.com/products/trans...or™.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #4192
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thus far, the only significant difference that I've found between the NV3550 and the AX15 - or R151 or whatever Toyota calls it - is in the first gear ratio; the Toyota has a 4.31 and the 3550 has 4.01. That's a bit, but not a huge difference. I assume there's more to be learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
The NV3350 is going to be at it's torque limit with a healthy 5.3. You are going to have to be nice to it or you will be scattering pieces all over the place. Adapting it to the 5.3 is easy. Less wiring than an auto too. Tell your programmer you are running a manual and you are good to go. Adapters are available from Novak and Advanced adapters.
When I posted up that info request I almost included "And before anyone tells me that I'm pushing the 3550, rest assured that I know it's at the limit of what it can take behind a 5.3..."

I know I'm going to have to be nice to it...which is not something I'm good at doing, to be perfectly honest. I know the 3550 is rated for around 300-ish, torque-wise...and that's pretty much what I'm attempting to get from the 5.3. Right now, I'm not sure whether it's smarter to spend the money on the adapter kits to bolt it to the 3550, or to look for a transmission that will settle into place nicely and handle the power. I'm concerned that if I swap trannies, I'll be into a t-case fitment issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I found that and was reading it just as you posted the link. I'm looking for more information on it right now.

Edit: I put in an e-mail request for additional information from them, since I didn't see ratios or torque ratings or anything like that.

Unread 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #4193
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The LS series engine doesn't have a very good manual transmission swap path for a DD. Most of your higher HP transmissions will be a NP4500 (not great for a DD and huge) or an old school 4 speed (NP435). As you may know, Chevy only put the NV3500 manual behind the 4.8. The 5.3 was never offered with a manual and certainly not a "souped up" 5.3.

According to this page http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-3-vortec.html the terminator is rated for 385ft/pounds of torque. That's still pushing it with a healthy 5.3.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #4194
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
The LS series engine doesn't have a very good manual transmission swap path for a DD. Most of your higher HP transmissions will be a NP4500 (not great for a DD and huge) or an old school 4 speed (NP435). As you may know, Chevy only put the NV3500 manual behind the 4.8. The 5.3 was never offered with a manual and certainly not a "souped up" 5.3.

According to this page http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-3-vortec.html the terminator is rated for 385ft/pounds of torque. That's still pushing it with a healthy 5.3.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a clean and easy option for a manual that offers streetable performance; there are a ton of four speeds, but I'm not going there. I saw several different torque ratings for the Terminator, and I'd be okay with 385 lb-ft. I don't want to go that high, honestly; I just don't need to do so. I might actually be okay with something along the 4500 line, though; I could make the 5.3 a bit healthier and then just avoid first gear on the street.

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #4195
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running an AX15 behind my 5.3 pushing close to 350 ft/lbs of torque for close to 2 years now with no issues. I used the advanced adapters bell housing kit, for the most part is was a straight forward install. I can prolly dig up all of the part numbers if you would be interested. I would also be very interested I'm some info on the ax15 'terminator' if you go that route
Ryanw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #4196
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The 4500 is HUGE , I had one in my Dodge and it was a mofo to drop and move . I can only imagine squeezing one into a TJ .
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #4197
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
I have been running an AX15 behind my 5.3 pushing close to 350 ft/lbs of torque for close to 2 years now with no issues. I used the advanced adapters bell housing kit, for the most part is was a straight forward install. I can prolly dig up all of the part numbers if you would be interested. I would also be very interested I'm some info on the ax15 'terminator' if you go that route
I'd be very interested in those numbers; thank you. I'll post up whatever I get from Rockland, if/when they get back to me. I'll have to add your name to the "People To Call When I Screw It Up" list, engine-swap-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The 4500 is HUGE , I had one in my Dodge and it was a mofo to drop and move . I can only imagine squeezing one into a TJ .
And when you say "HUGE" it must be properly pronounced: "hyousche" is correct. I know a guy that has one in a YJ - behind a four-cylinder - and it's massive.

Unread 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4198
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a few of that part numbers mentioned in my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-5-3l-1481942/
If you need anything else, let me know and ill see what I can do!
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #4199
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw10 View Post
I have a few of that part numbers mentioned in my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-5-3l-1481942/
If you need anything else, let me know and ill see what I can do!
I certainly will. I read through your build once or twice before, already. Looks like you didn't have too many problems getting everything installed and working.

Unread 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4200
Ryanw10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had my fair share of setbacks, but now that it's over and I put the pedal to the metal I don't regret it one bit

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.