The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 262 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #3916
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see how you remove them. My problem isn't prepping or pianting but just getting them off the damn door. Too much paint in the torx holes tops me from using the correct bit.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #3917
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I'd like to see how you remove them. My problem isn't prepping or pianting but just getting them off the damn door. Too much paint in the torx holes tops me from using the correct bit.
I'll see what I can do; mine don't look too bad but there's no way to tell if they'll be a pain in the *** or not. If I have to do so, I'll hammer the bit into the bolt's recess and then replace whatever I've f***** up.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #3918
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'll see what I can do; mine don't look too bad but there's no way to tell if they'll be a pain in the *** or not. If I have to do so, I'll hammer the bit into the bolt's recess and then replace whatever I've f***** up.
I tried that. Then tried heating up the paint with a torch to make it softer and try again. Still partially stripped some bolts. I'll definitely be replacing them with something else. Good luck

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #3919
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I tried that. Then tried heating up the paint with a torch to make it softer and try again. Still partially stripped some bolts. I'll definitely be replacing them with something else. Good luck
Well, I've also got a few big-a** drills laying around, doing nothing productive with their lives...so I'll drill out the f****** bolts if I have to. If they're being replaced, they're sacrificial.

Unread 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #3920
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

Jay's hair is far too perfect to require assistance, and he was never far enough away for me to steal the F9 without him noticing...but I thought about it. Twice.

Keep Harlan in the back of your mind, I'll keep you posted on the dates.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #3921
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lay the doors flat and pour something mildly acidic into the recess where the torx bit goes to soften up the paint... maybe a small portable media blaster from HF? And give an impact a shot once you get it in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #3922
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Keep Harlan in the back of your mind, I'll keep you posted on the dates.
I've got it in the front of my mind, and yes...let me know on the dates. I love dates...especially the ones that killed the monkey* in Raiders of The Lost Ark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Lay the doors flat and pour something mildly acidic into the recess where the torx bit goes to soften up the paint... maybe a small portable media blaster from HF? And give an impact a shot once you get it in there.
That's a good thought. Body hinges might be a bit tougher, but I bet I could rig something up that would work.

*: In all fairness, Nazi Street Pirate Monkey is probably the most awesome monkey of all time...but it was still a monkey, and now that it's a dead monkey it's also a good monkey.

Unread 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #3923
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

lighting solution?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/expe...nt-lights.html

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #3924
YjStrangler92

Quote:

Dont use a ratchet, they seem to always want to round out. If you go get an electric impact driver, that seems to takem right out without sripping the inside out . Good luck.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #3925
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
lighting solution?
Very possible. Nice find; thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
Dont use a ratchet, they seem to always want to round out. If you go get an electric impact driver, that seems to takem right out without sripping the inside out . Good luck.
I always use an impact on larger, frozen-up stuff. I don't have an electric one, but a 1/2" air-driven model seems to do the trick.

Unread 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #3926
YjStrangler92

I was super pissed off today. I bought a windshield frame, glass, rubber gasket kit from quadratec. First off everything looked good when recieved (packaging). I called and had a glass company come out to install the glass in the frame. When we opened the glass , some dumba$$ that worked there shot a staple in the side of the window breaking it. So I had to pay a service charge for the glass companys trip. Quadracrap sent me another piece of glass, and I had glass company come out and install glass in window frame. I finally installed it a week ago, if you start bolts on inside on one side, otherside bolts wouldnt be long enough to start. Had somelook @ it, they told me the frame was bent. So I called quadracrap today, they told me they weren't replacing it. I told them to go f**k themselves. I've had it with s**t quality from these a$$ holes.
So I payed $20 on first trip, $90 for second trip,$350 + tax and shipping. for winshield frame,glass. And still have to buy another one. Every thing ive ordered from them is eithier wrong, or broken/ damaged. I hate these fu*ktards. I will never buy anything else from this company of retards as long as I live, and let everyone I know so they're not ripped off like I was.
YjStrangler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #3927
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YjStrangler92 View Post
I was super pissed off today...
I'd post this in a few other forums, or get on the phone with the company and let them know how you feel; that's the best way to help this not happen to someone else. I hate that you got inferior service and low-quality products, man...that kind of thing shouldn't happen.

Unread 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #3928
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bring the old hinges with you and we will bead blast them .
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #3929
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Bring the old hinges with you and we will bead blast them .
Hey...here's a question: can I dial down a bead blaster enough to take off paint but not body filler? If not, are there any other decent methods that won't damage a skim-coat of filler? Anyone that actually knows anything about anything is free to chime in, here, because I'm really sort of uneducated in these matters...and many others.

Unread 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #3930
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dial down a bead blaster ? What ??? Thats crazy talk ! I dont know of any way to cut one off and not the other .

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.