The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 26 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #376 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
4x4=life
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great build thread! I just picked up my 03 Rubi last week traded the mustang in for it. Unfortunaly I got it from a dealer and they didnt know if anything was done to the jeep. From what I can tell its just tires shocks puck lift and very well taken care of. I cant wait to see what else you have planned for your build. Im looking at bumpers in the near future and then upgrading other parts as I find the need. I cant wait to see the tool kit write up as well!

Congrats on the jeep and a wife that will help you wrench. My wife helped me put a new motor in my stang before we got rid of it!

/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
vgullotta
2007 JK Wrangler 

More Annabelle plox

'07 JK 2Door. Life is good! =)
post #378 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
So, with that said: Nicole, Mindy, Jen, Stephanie...I'm going to need a quick favor.
anyone else thinking this?

http://youtu.be/EK_LN3XEcnw

post #379 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did the OME ZJ/LJ springs in my 05 LJ, love them.

I'm also in envy of your ease of access to Chick-fil-a There isn't one in over 100 miles up here

great writeup and build thread, love the sense of humor

-D2
post #380 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
bigwalton
1984 CJ8 

Huh, I didn't see where anyone mentioned it, so I will: great build thread!

You and I have all the same feelings about what a solid, usable Jeep should be and we're in much the same place, but I'm working with your wife's Jeep I just did a very similar lift/tire setup on my 05 Rubi LJ (same body lift, 3.5" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs).

Very interested in the brake upgrade. I've not seen anything close to the "near-death" lack of braking you mention--I was actually expecting much worse braking than I ended up with--but I would definitely love some improvement. I work from home and the majority of the road time mine sees is back and forth to our main office, which is a 4 hour drive one way, so lots of highway speeds. I generally stay a good distance from anyone else for extra safety margin. With the Rubicon's 4.10s and the low first gear I'm FINALLY happy with the on-road manners

As to your discussion on how to show the improved stopping power, I have to say that I was surprised that a simple high speed run on a local road with full brakes applied at some set point wasn't measured pre- and post-install. Pics and video is great (and your female co-star sure doesn't hurt), but for something like this the straight numbers of best possible stopping distance on a set road would have been mucho bueno.

Also, your choice of fast food is spot on with the exception of the lack of extra pickles

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8 on 35s with a bunch of stuff
'05 LJ Rubicon with some stuff
'08 JK Unlimited with almost no stuff
'77 Cherokee with old and new stuff
post #381 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
bogey1899
1997 TJ Wrangler 

awesome freeking build thread, kudos from vancouver island, canada
post #382 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
Quote:
And a further teaser...

Eye-Candy of The Day: the lovely Annabelle...and she very much knows what she's doing with that impact wrench.

She had an impact wrench?
I think he means where is the video!
post #383 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
brokeagin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try working around her.

I bet that could prove to be difficult...LOL
post #384 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4=life View Post
Congrats on the jeep and a wife that will help you wrench. My wife helped me put a new motor in my stang before we got rid of it!
Thank you, sir! We ditched a Mustang, too! Bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnduey View Post
I'm also in envy of your ease of access to Chick-fil-a There isn't one in over 100 miles up here
That's just...wrong. Party foul, Seattle...party foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
As to your discussion on how to show the improved stopping power, I have to say that I was surprised that a simple high speed run on a local road with full brakes applied at some set point wasn't measured pre- and post-install. Pics and video is great (and your female co-star sure doesn't hurt), but for something like this the straight numbers of best possible stopping distance on a set road would have been mucho bueno.
We're thinking along the same lines, just in different directions.

I realized, a day or so ago, that I've got some rough pre-install numbers...I just haven't said much about them yet because I don't have the final "broken-in" numbers. I can tell you, though, that from 40 MPH to a rolling stop was well over a hundred feet...that's only accurate to about 10 feet or so, but I don't think it matters. It will be close enough to prove the point.

I had thought that a simple "it stopped in ___ feet before, and now it stops in ___ feet" would be an effective and workable comparison, but I wanted people to see the difference. I didn't have any ability to shoot video beforehand - I still don't, as of this writing - and I didn't even think of it until we were finishing up the break-in runs with the new pads...so that's why we won't have pre-install video.

So, my plan for the final comparison is to give the rough stopping distances with both the stock brakes and the Savvy/Vanco kit, and then post some video of the improved braking. I think that'll cover it pretty adequately. Also, we've already decided to take some more accurate measurements when we get around to doing a brake upgrade on Anna's LJ...so we'll have a comparison there, as well.

As far as how bad it was before...I'm still a bit shocked, too. When I elucidated the situation to Blaine at Savvy, though, his basic comment was "I'm not surprised," which he followed with an anecdote about a similar experience that he'd had. So I don't think it's as singular an incident as I first suspected.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #385 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
bobthetj03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder what the weight difference is between your Rubi and the LJ?

Bob's boring build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Jeep club member #2003

post #386 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
4x4=life
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you, sir! We ditched a Mustang, too! Bonus!

Mine was a 03 mach1 lost my a** on it since im in cali and it did not have any cats on it but almost killed me so its was time for her to go! Hope you didnt loose money on it as well.

/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
post #387 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM
B2CARPEN
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Killer beard bro!

And big props on the ever so helpful wife! Build thread is coming along quite well and those brakes are so sexy

Founder of
post #388 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I wonder what the weight difference is between your Rubi and the LJ?
That's a really good question...I ought to weigh mine as she sits, now, and compare it to Annabelle's. During the conversation with Blaine at Savvy, he did mention that the differences between the TJ and LJ had effects on the braking...I'm assuming because of weight transfer or geometry or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4=life View Post
Mine was a 03 mach1 lost my a** on it since im in cali and it did not have any cats on it but almost killed me so its was time for her to go! Hope you didnt loose money on it as well.
'07 California Special...and we came out way ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Killer beard bro! And big props on the ever so helpful wife! Build thread is coming along quite well and those brakes are so sexy
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
post #389 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
BADGUYSKI

cool subscribed

my wife will love this for her 2012 sahara
post #390 of 8099 Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome build man

Follow me on Instagram @ Tarantula_TJ

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wasteland-survival-guide-engineering-greta-1344782/
Posted By For Type Date
glockforum | BoardReader This thread Refback 08-15-2012 09:17 AM
sears diehard batteries - forum communication | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-31-2012 07:50 AM