The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #3856
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Something else to think about on a dropdown, when off camber, or on a hill facing either way, getting into the back of the trunk area is much harder with the drop down. This is the same reason I would never run a genright/psc style stinger rear tire carrier aside from departure angle decrease.
That's a good point, too, and one of the reasons I like the spare where it is; it's always accessible.

Today's Jeeping was more top testing. Everything is pretty much satisfactory; I'd like to make a change to the zipper arrangement in order to make the window easier to operate, but aside from that I don't have any complaints...and the zipper deal is just me being picky as hell.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #3857
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

How does Annabelle like the top? (subtle hint)
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3858
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That top is super sexy! You've crossed a major hurdle in the evolution of Greta!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #3859
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
How does Annabelle like the top? (subtle hint)
All hinting aside, she likes it; once she got a look at how it turned out she decided that she wanted to go in that direction with her LJ. As a result, I started laying out the ideas for how to make this top possible on her rig without closing off the bed; surprisingly, that didn't take me a great deal of time. It'll be a LOT easier than Greta's conversion...but that's the nature of prototyping and trying new stuff; the design and fabrication get progressively simpler as one grows more experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
That top is super sexy! You've crossed a major hurdle in the evolution of Greta!
Thank you, sir! This was, indeed, a major hurdle and I think we got it about 95% correct on the first shot, which is now TWICE that such a thing has happened; once with the deck and now with the top. Between those two things, the only changes I would make would be a more durable coating on the deck itself - a thin, hard bedliner would have been better - and now the slight changes to the zipper operation and fastening on the top. That's not bad at all, considering the level of custom fabrication that took place.

Unread 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #3860
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
All hinting aside, she likes it; once she got a look at how it turned out she decided that she wanted to go in that direction with her LJ. As a result, I started laying out the ideas for how to make this top possible on her rig without closing off the bed; surprisingly, that didn't take me a great deal of time. It'll be a LOT easier than Greta's conversion...but that's the nature of prototyping and trying new stuff; the design and fabrication get progressively simpler as one grows more experienced.
That's cool, I always forget she's got an LJ, I could see that being awesome in an LJ with that much extra space, you could really set that up back there. Super cool, EEEEEEKKKK at the thought of two jeeps to modify though. I'll be there soon myself!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #3861
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
EEEEEEKKKK at the thought of two jeeps to modify though. I'll be there soon myself!
My lady has a year left on payments on her minivan. She's already stated definitively that as soon as those payments are done, she's getting a jeep of her own and will be modding it, so I may as well get used to working two jobs..

Okay, so she didn't /say/ that last part about two jobs.. I just figure I'm going to end up doing that to support our "habits"..

She's also the one who - after walking around the WK after I put the 3" lift on - said "It's not tall enough. You should've gotten the bigger lift." she's a keeper!
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #3862
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Once i saw the full spread of the new top all i could think was, "i remember when he posted pics bringing home the falkens in the rear of the tub." its an amazing transformation that greta has taken.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #3863
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's cool, I always forget she's got an LJ, I could see that being awesome in an LJ with that much extra space, you could really set that up back there. Super cool, EEEEEEKKKK at the thought of two jeeps to modify though. I'll be there soon myself!
Yeah, having two to play with - and 7.1 billion other projects - tends to drive the budget upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
My lady has a year left on payments on her minivan. She's already stated definitively that as soon as those payments are done, she's getting a jeep of her own and will be modding it, so I may as well get used to working two jobs..

Okay, so she didn't /say/ that last part about two jobs.. I just figure I'm going to end up doing that to support our "habits"..

She's also the one who - after walking around the WK after I put the 3" lift on - said "It's not tall enough. You should've gotten the bigger lift." she's a keeper!
I suggest ditching the minivan entirely. Hell, trade it on a JKU, if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
Once i saw the full spread of the new top all i could think was, "i remember when he posted pics bringing home the falkens in the rear of the tub." its an amazing transformation that greta has taken.
Quite a lot in less than a year's time, isn't it?

Unread 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #3864
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its remarkable

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #3865
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I guess we can give you that , now get back to work .
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3866
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I guess we can give you that , now get back to work .
There are only two proper responses to this statement...

Option 1: "I'm going to check back with Allen on Monday about the zipper modification and a couple of other minor points, and then see what he might be able to do for me in regards to some roll-bar padding...ideally, some that would be more weatherproof than what I have now and also be able to accommodate a C-to-C pillar. After that, I'd like to work on the tailgate."

Option 2: "Back to work? WHERE'S MY STEAK, B****?!?!"

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #3867
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The steak is at my house , sadly I am not ...
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #3868
lildutchboy

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
RE: pre-killed monkeys...

"The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies."

How do you test 'em if they're dead already? And is it monkey steak?
lildutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #3869
dmj13
All Jeep'd up.

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If Im following your tailgate idea correctly, you are looking for something along the idea of the Smittybilt GEAR set up that attaches MOLLE fabric to the inside of the gate, allowing for assorted bag attachments? If that is correct, then I am with you all the way. I really like the Smittybilt idea, but see some major flaws when it comes to attaching fabric to metal, putting weight on it and expecting it to last worth a damn. I have been playing with an idea for a rigid mount along the same lines. I threw this together for the tailgate of my 06 LJ. Pls forgive the uneven cuts. I was using flat aluminum I had and some worn out Dremel wheels. And more than a couple Shiners....

image-2511432628.jpg

Picture it all cut even, coated with montsaliner and attached securely to the inside of the tailgate. I just haven't figured out the best way to mount it, having access to only one side of the gate. Nutserts seem the best option, but I've never used them myself.

Am I following you correctly, or am I still batting in the minor leagues?
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #3870
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Excuses, excuses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
How do you test 'em if they're dead already? And is it monkey steak?
We don't test the monkeys; we use the monkeys to test other stuff...and there's no point in using a live monkey if whatever we're testing is just going to kill it anyway. And of course it isn't monkey steak; I hate monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj13 View Post
...Am I following you correctly, or am I still batting in the minor leagues?
You're essentially on the same page, but I want to use something more similar to the Springtail racks; the metal will hold a heavy pouch or tool much better than a fabric web.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.