The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 257 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3841
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking the tailgate would be a good place for you to focus some attention, and you mentioned it. Should be a good spot to spend a little time, not a lotta money, witch will be nice as you recover from this big one.

gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #3842
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I was just thinking the tailgate would be a good place for you to focus some attention, and you mentioned it. Should be a good spot to spend a little time, not a lotta money, witch will be nice as you recover from this big one.
I'm actually thinking of doing a testbed-style scenario; maybe buy a second tailgate and start working on it instead of the one that's mounted, now. That would take the "get it done right now!" pressure off of the process and let me just swap them out once I get the second one finished. I think that a pair of 20L cans would be perfect in that area, and they wouldn't cause nearly the same amount of stress that a full-sized spare would create; fully-loaded they would be forty pounds lighter...or basically the same weight as a stock spare.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #3843
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm actually thinking of doing a testbed-style scenario; maybe buy a second tailgate and start working on it instead of the one that's mounted, now. That would take the "get it done right now!" pressure off of the process and let me just swap them out once I get the second one finished. I think that a pair of 20L cans would be perfect in that area, and they wouldn't cause nearly the same amount of stress that a full-sized spare would create; fully-loaded they would be forty pounds lighter...or basically the same weight as a stock spare.
And correct me if I'm wrong, would you not rather have an -02 gate WITHOUT the vent thingie? I think if you could accomplish a gate that could not only swing, but also drop down (ala, Honda Ridgeline), you might just overcome this lack of popularity you've got going on here....
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #3844
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong, would you not rather have an -02 gate WITHOUT the vent thingie? I think if you could accomplish a gate that could not only swing, but also drop down (ala, Honda Ridgeline), you might just overcome this lack of popularity you've got going on here....
I wouldn't convert Greta's tailgate to a drop-down configuration if you paid me to do it; for me, the swing-out is infinitely more functional. However, an 02-or-before gate might entail less work depending on what I end up doing. Let's not forget that I also have some underneathness to work on and a badly-degraded sound system to spruce up - and 6.2 billion other things to do, as well - so I don't want to sink a ton of money into the tailgate. I'm hoping to raise some of the funds from the sale of Greta's no-longer-needed pieces; guess I'd better go ahead and post those classifieds.

Unread 03-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #3845
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You should see a proof back soon , mine came in this afternoon .
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #3846
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The top looks great! I love the half cab look. I miss my wraparound windjammer/safari combo so much. I'm curious how all that looks laying down, and how quickly you can get it installed in incliment weather though. Well done sir. Money well spent in my book. Thumbs up!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #3847
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
The top looks great! I love the half cab look. I miss my wraparound windjammer/safari combo so much. I'm curious how all that looks laying down, and how quickly you can get it installed in incliment weather though. Well done sir. Money well spent in my book. Thumbs up!
I whole heartedly agree!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #3848
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Rokmen tailgate. 'Nuff said

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #3849
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
I really like it too. As far as how it looks laying down, I don't plan on finding out; the entire idea, here, was to make something that doesn't get taken off but still allows a maximum amount of open-air "feel"...and that also has a quick provision for inclement weather. With the back window down it's basically the same as driving with the safari top and full doors, which is what I've had on for a year; I was adamant that the corners behind the door surrounds only get filled-in as much as was needed, which not only preserves line-of-sight (it's a bit less, still) but also keeps you from feeling "closed in." I can drop the window in good weather, roll the door windows down, and it's about as open as anyone would want.

I always kept a safari top or a bikini top on in case of light rain or to simply keep the direct sun off of me; it made for a more pleasant driving experience. Also, I always thought that the factory soft top looked like a** when not completely removed from the vehicle, which is why Greta's top only got changed twice a year, heretofore; the full top was swapped for the safari and duster in March, and those two pieces were swapped back out for the full unit in early November. This top will stay on 24/7; the huge back window is there for rain/wind/etc. and the doors can be used in whatever configuration I wish.

Thus far, I'm pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
I whole heartedly agree!
Thank you! Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Rokmen tailgate. 'Nuff said
It's a nice piece of work, sure enough...but it's a drop-down. I like the storage compartment; I thought about maybe including one of those, as well...or some type of integral gear rack thingy. I was thinking that a tailgate would be a good opportunity to practice some sheet metal skillz.

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #3850
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Love how the top came out, very cool!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #3851
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I wouldn't convert Greta's tailgate to a drop-down configuration if you paid me to do it; for me, the swing-out is infinitely more functional. However, an 02-or-before gate might entail less work depending on what I end up doing. Let's not forget that I also have some underneathness to work on and a badly-degraded sound system to spruce up - and 6.2 billion other things to do, as well - so I don't want to sink a ton of money into the tailgate. I'm hoping to raise some of the funds from the sale of Greta's no-longer-needed pieces; guess I'd better go ahead and post those classifieds.
That surprises me, especially with the hard deck. Seems like having a lower "table" of sorts would be worthwhile. After having my swag kit for 6 months or so now, I'm so used to it I couldn't imagine it not being there I use it so often. So tell me, why not have the actual gate swing down, and the stuff you want attached back there, swing out, by some other means? I don't see how a rectangular piece of metal that looks more like a seat, or a table than a mounting bracket is functional AT ALL other than a barrier, in the vertical position. Just feeding your brain buddy!
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #3852
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Love how the top came out, very cool!
You might get to see it, tomorrow!

Quote:
That surprises me, especially with the hard deck. Seems like having a lower "table" of sorts would be worthwhile. After having my swag kit for 6 months or so now, I'm so used to it I couldn't imagine it not being there I use it so often. So tell me, why not have the actual gate swing down, and the stuff you want attached back there, swing out, by some other means? I don't see how a rectangular piece of metal that looks more like a seat, or a table than a mounting bracket is functional AT ALL other than a barrier, in the vertical position. Just feeding your brain buddy!
Good thinking! Let me explain my own:

1. If I make a carrier that swings out and a tailgate that drops down, I have to unfasten two latches every time I want to get into the tailgate, and refasten them every time I want to close it. This happens about twice a day, on average, and that's a lot of extra inconvenient effort. For me, something that's inconvenient is simply very annoying. It's petty, but I don't like the two-latch deal.

2. Think about trying to get stuff out of the "trunk" area; it's a 36"-deep closed-off space. It's already pretty deep, so you have to reach into it to get the stuff that's crammed all the way up towards the front; this isn't a big deal at all during normal use but if you put a drop down tailgate in the way it will be. You're basically adding a 16" barrier - the height of the gate - and keeping yourself that much further away from the interior. This would force me to crawl halfway underneath the hard deck to retrieve a sack of groceries that rolled forwards, or to contort myself around the impediment that a drop-down tailgate would become.

3. I don't sit on tailgates or sit things on them; having a swing-out gear storage area is much, much more useful for my particular organizational and deployment style. A drop-down tailgate with a storage compartment is basically a tall box with stuff in it that gets continuously turned on its side; unless you have everything securely fastened inside the box - thus negating the point of a box, incidentally - the contents get jumbled. My direction of thinking is a MOLLE rack, with quick-deploy soft-sided bags and a variety of tools attached.

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #3853
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha gotcha, before even reading your reply, the extra reach scenario occured to me and that's a BIG one.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #3854
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha gotcha, before even reading your reply, the extra reach scenario occured to me and that's a BIG one.
Yeah, the "box" gets too deep if you add a drop-down tailgate; another reason to keep the bed open on an LJ version.

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3855
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Something else to think about on a dropdown, when off camber, or on a hill facing either way, getting into the back of the trunk area is much harder with the drop down. This is the same reason I would never run a genright/psc style stinger rear tire carrier aside from departure angle decrease.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.