The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 255 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #3811
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Top looks great! Really like the way that turned out

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #3812
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
... I'll have some contact information for him posted in the thread when I do the full spread.
Thank you for posting this It is really nice when people share access to the true artists out there that help them execute there projects.

Between your design skills and his sewing skills, you have created one beautiful masterpiece of a top. I am looking forward to the full write-up.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #3813
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeery View Post
Seriously, though... Congrats! Great design, and great craftsmanship!
He really did a good job on it. I don't think tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, but Thursday should be. Maybe I can give her a bath and let the fabric have a chance to draw up and form itself, and then we'll really have something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
We had a long talk concerning his Jeep today over those sammiches, you would have been proud. The money (about 5k) is just about set aside and planned for around October to buy us the cleanest project 6cyl auto TJ we can find within 500 miles.
Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The top looks awesome , well worth the wait .
Very much so...and since I figured out a good way to partition an LJ and make more of a "truck" configuration, there's a very good chance that we'll see another one of these built in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Top looks great! Really like the way that turned out
It's unique, and actually pretty well balanced. The rear looks shorter than an LJ would - of course - but it's not bad at all. I was 90% of the way to chopping up the C-pillars and making something different, but after looking at the overall shape with the top in place I'm now considering adding a C-to-C bar. However, that's a future project; for now, I'm going to try to figure out my fuel/water can rack for the rear, because having that would give me extra range and would add a bit of "weight" to the back end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
Thank you for posting this It is really nice when people share access to the true artists out there that help them execute there projects. Between your design skills and his sewing skills, you have created one beautiful masterpiece of a top. I am looking forward to the full write-up.
I try to give all due credit and to help out people that have done a good job...and yes, I'll have all necessary contact information in the larger write-up/photo shoot.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #3814
jpdude999
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Another post cherry down the drain! I usually try not to post until I am caught up, but I still have 100 pages to go, and it's taken me several days to get this far. Apparently I work for a living far more often that most of you f*****s do. I started reading this thread because of the catchy title (you had me at Wasteland), but I kept at it for 2 reasons. One, you started with an almost stock TJ and are building an "all rounder", and two, well, see the pic. I'd like to thank you for this introductory lesson in TJ Building 101 here at the University of Jeep, and hope that I can catch up in a week or so. Maybe if I quit my job and empty my savings to wrench on my LJ, it'll happen sooner.... Anyway, I salute you, sir!

PS: Yes, I quoted you, because few know exactly how true that statement really is.
829.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #3815
Scott3140

1998 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!! That is great looking top. Glad things worked out for you.
Scott3140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #3816
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Very much so...and since I figured out a good way to partition an LJ and make more of a "truck" configuration, there's a very good chance that we'll see another one of these built in the future.
I love foreshadowing. Any way you could think to make this partition removable in an LJ? I really LOVE the thought - but I would hate to loose the possibility of back seats permanently.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #3817
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdude999 View Post
Another post cherry down the drain! I usually try not to post until I am caught up, but I still have 100 pages to go, and it's taken me several days to get this far. Apparently I work for a living far more often that most of you f*****s do. I started reading this thread because of the catchy title (you had me at Wasteland), but I kept at it for 2 reasons. One, you started with an almost stock TJ and are building an "all rounder", and two, well, see the pic. I'd like to thank you for this introductory lesson in TJ Building 101 here at the University of Jeep, and hope that I can catch up in a week or so. Maybe if I quit my job and empty my savings to wrench on my LJ, it'll happen sooner.... Anyway, I salute you, sir!

PS: Yes, I quoted you, because few know exactly how true that statement really is.
I like that LJ you have there, and I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Hopefully there will be a lot more to come in the future from both sides!

Also, hopefully there won't be an alien invasion...but if there is, I'd like to think that we're prepared for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3140 View Post
WOW!! That is great looking top. Glad things worked out for you.
Thanks, man! It's a little bit sunny today, so maybe the fabric will move and settle in and the pictures will look nice. I'm going to do the car-wash test, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I love foreshadowing. Any way you could think to make this partition removable in an LJ? I really LOVE the thought - but I would hate to loose the possibility of back seats permanently.
Okay, here's the thing: any object that's placed in any location is as easy to remove from that location as it was to put it there in the first place. In this case, the trick is to get a really strong partition in the middle of the bed, because the tub flex in that area is one of the issues with a half-cab conversion. I very unwittingly solved that flexibility issue by designing a top that doesn't have to remain rigid in order to be sealed...so the solution for the LJ partition is to do nothing more than replicate that top and to make a lower attachment point - in my case, the upper deck skirt - that will be solid, yet not occlude the bed. It's basically just a bolt-in panel that will mimic the forward portions of my hard deck; the difference is that the entire back of the rig would remain open. We've already looked at what an LJ would be like with that kind of conversion and a desert tan paint job...

People keep asking me if there's any commercial future for the hard deck and the soft half-cab; I don't see much for the hard deck because that's a VERY specialty-use item, but a version of the soft half-cab that allows the bed to remain open could be a different story entirely. Since it would have to be designed to be an easy bolt-in with nothing more than removal of the C-pillars and installation of the panel, you could theoretically remove it without much of a headache. If it was my rig, though - and the first one will be - it wouldn't come back out.

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #3818
Kenny1AZ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work on the top! Looks great!
Kenny1AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #3819
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any word on the stickers/shirts

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #3820
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
Any word on the stickers/shirts
You guys never give me a break...

I'm waiting on proofs to come back from the graphics people.

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #3821
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, here's the thing: any object that's placed in any location is as easy to remove from that location as it was to put it there in the first place. In this case, the trick is to get a really strong partition in the middle of the bed, because the tub flex in that area is one of the issues with a half-cab conversion. I very unwittingly solved that flexibility issue by designing a top that doesn't have to remain rigid in order to be sealed...so the solution for the LJ partition is to do nothing more than replicate that top and to make a lower attachment point - in my case, the upper deck skirt - that will be solid, yet not occlude the bed. It's basically just a bolt-in panel that will mimic the forward portions of my hard deck; the difference is that the entire back of the rig would remain open. We've already looked at what an LJ would be like with that kind of conversion and a desert tan paint job...

People keep asking me if there's any commercial future for the hard deck and the soft half-cab; I don't see much for the hard deck because that's a VERY specialty-use item, but a version of the soft half-cab that allows the bed to remain open could be a different story entirely. Since it would have to be designed to be an easy bolt-in with nothing more than removal of the C-pillars and installation of the panel, you could theoretically remove it without much of a headache. If it was my rig, though - and the first one will be - it wouldn't come back out.
I am definitely interested to see what you do to the LJ and how it comes out. Down the line- I would be thrilled with a half-cab option and a hard deck... but still have the ability to convert it back for use with say a regular hard top without an extensive amount of effort.

Good thing an engineer with time, money and an LJ hangs around here...

I honestly think you really do have an option for commercial success here. I would contact a patent lawyer sooner rather than later.

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #3822
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You keep saying the hard deck is a specialty item only, but I dont know if thats actually true. Given, the short body of a tj doesn't offer much storage regardless, access to a flat top vs inside a tub has some serious validity. A big heavy object, your tire for example, are easier to access from the deck. More importantly, if the deck had the ability to accept permanent mount, say for video, weather equipment, engine hoist, spotting scope, rifle tripod, .50 cal mount, whatever. That's assuming its stiff enough to support a heavy duty mount plus whatever it was holding. If I wanted to dedicate my rigg to a recovery vehicle/response and repair vehicle, the hard deck would be what I would want. Tools underneath as well as small parts. Whatever heavy objects you liked for the top. I've actually considered something similar but on a budget vehicle like a tracker for the smaller footprint that can get through even tighter places than the tj.

Anyway thats my thought. Top looks awesome, so does the deck. Oh, and did the girly things kit disappear? Lol.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #3823
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
You keep saying the hard deck is a specialty item only, but I dont know if thats actually true. Given, the short body of a tj doesn't offer much storage regardless, access to a flat top vs inside a tub has some serious validity. A big heavy object, your tire for example, are easier to access from the deck. More importantly, if the deck had the ability to accept permanent mount, say for video, weather equipment, engine hoist, spotting scope, rifle tripod, .50 cal mount, whatever. That's assuming its stiff enough to support a heavy duty mount plus whatever it was holding. If I wanted to dedicate my rigg to a recovery vehicle/response and repair vehicle, the hard deck would be what I would want. Tools underneath as well as small parts. Whatever heavy objects you liked for the top. I've actually considered something similar but on a budget vehicle like a tracker for the smaller footprint that can get through even tighter places than the tj.

Anyway thats my thought. Top looks awesome, so does the deck. Oh, and did the girly things kit disappear? Lol.
So many options I didn't consider!

Unread 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #3824
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm partial to the .50 cal mount, but im not particular. Lol.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #3825
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I honestly think you really do have an option for commercial success here. I would contact a patent lawyer sooner rather than later.
Guess what my mother-in-law used to do for a living?

Ahem: "Patent pending, b******."

I'll address the other commentary when I get home... I'm out wind-testing, now.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.