The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 254 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #3796
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the full spread!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #3797
locrwln
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The top looks fabulous. Can't wait for the rest of the pictures.

Long live the Republic!!!

Jack
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3798
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Badass. What does it look like when down? How easily does it remove for wheeling?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #3799
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! How much room is between the tire and the rear "glass"? Does the tire need to be removed to get the window out?
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #3800
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
In-Progress Spy Photos: Greta's Half Top

Pictured: It's done, and this doesn't even remotely do it justice.

It's just the right amount of "smooth and tight" while still having an almost-military look to the wraps and details. More photos will be coming tonight/tomorrow morning.
nice, is that a zipper around the rear window?
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #3801
Eric2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

First off the top is awesome. Ever think about trying to sell the plans to a company and then BAM!, instant Greta funds. Second as for the louvers, what if you got a panel cut like the Umbrella Corp logo and painted to match? Don't know how it'd look but here would be no mistaking the offical swammi while out in the wasteland.
Eric2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #3802
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
That dude is badass!! When's the car wash test?
Maybe tomorrow...Greta's filthy after driving a hundred miles in the rain. BUT I WAS WARM AND DRY THE ENTIRE F****** TIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
im thoroughly impressed. that looks suuuuuper tight around the b pillar
Thank you, and yes...it is tight around the B-pillar. There's very, very little extra room except at the top, where it's roughly standard middle-bow height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
That dude killed it, in that timeline, geez you lucked out finding the right person for the job. I could see someone dragging their feet for months, wasting yards and yards trying to get this right. I'm so happy for you that it turned out good. Congrats brother.
Yes, he did. I'll have some contact information for him posted in the thread when I do the full spread. I am so glad those other f****** monkeys failed me, because this was clearly the person I needed to see. Thank you for the compliments...you'll see that his work is WELL worth them when I get some decent pictures. The common in-person response is "...Wow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Can't wait to see the full spread!
I'll do my best to do it justice. I really hope tomorrow is bright and sunny so I can let the fabric draw up and show the finished product. Even being undrawn, it was surprisingly quiet as it settled in on the way home. He knocked it out of the damned park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locrwln View Post
The top looks fabulous. Can't wait for the rest of the pictures. Long live the Republic!!!
Just wait 'til I put this kind of thing on an LJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Badass. What does it look like when down? How easily does it remove for wheeling?
Yes, quite badass; thank you. It's basically non-present when taken down...everything comes off except the mounting studs at the skirt. It can be completely taken off in about ten minutes or so...but I don't plan on doing that. This thing is designed to take a serious beating; doubled fabric layers, ABS reinforcements, doubled cuffs at the intrusion points...it should hold up and be able to have the mud cleaned off without issue. That was the intent, and I think we reached it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Looks great! How much room is between the tire and the rear "glass"? Does the tire need to be removed to get the window out?
Thank you! There's about an inch between them right now, but that depends on where I sit the tire; it could be closer or further away. No, the tire doesn't need to be removed for window operation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
nice, is that a zipper around the rear window?
...because, yes, there's an industrial-duty zipper around the glass perimeter. It zips right out and folds down behind the rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2000TJ View Post
First off the top is awesome. Ever think about trying to sell the plans to a company and then BAM!, instant Greta funds. Second as for the louvers, what if you got a panel cut like the Umbrella Corp logo and painted to match? Don't know how it'd look but here would be no mistaking the offical swammi while out in the wasteland.
If someone wanted something like this, they'd need a partition or hard deck in order to attach the lower portions of the rear curtain/window...and I'm working on a way to do a partition, which would keep the bed open. If that came about...yeah, I might see some commercial potential.

I'm thinking that I'll do a louver panel with the Umbrella logo on it in some fashion; good call on predicting where I'm heading.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #3803
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

In HONOR of this grand occasion with the top being completed, I decided some chic-fil-a was in order to celebrate. I introduce to the wasteland Mr. Tate James. who finds Sundowner's edited by me pg-13 commentary to be hilarious. His build thread WILL start later this year.......

gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #3804
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In HONOR of this grand occasion with the top being completed, I decided some chic-fil-a was in order to celebrate. I introduce to the wasteland Mr. Tate James. who finds Sundowner's edited by me pg-13 commentary to be hilarious. His build thread WILL start later this year.......
Awww **** yeah!!!!

Also, tell him I think his name is really ****in cool... However you so choose
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #3805
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i cant wait to see some updated photos

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #3806
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I may have to go get some chik-fil-a now.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #3807
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll be sure to clean it up when I give him hell on his thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
i cant wait to see some updated photos
Might be tomorrow, depending on the weather. Tonight is an unintentional trial-by-fire for the top: torrential rain and wind.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #3808
SPeery
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
In-Progress Spy Photos: Greta's Half Top

Pictured: It's done, and this doesn't even remotely do it justice.

[...]

It's just the right amount of "smooth and tight" while still having an almost-military look to the wraps and details. More photos will be coming tonight/tomorrow morning.

Yeah. That's completely awesome! All you need now is a Coexist sticker on the back window. Might I suggest something a bit like this?

Seriously, though... Congrats! Great design, and great craftsmanship!
SPeery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #3809
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
Awww **** yeah!!!!

Also, tell him I think his name is really ****in cool... However you so choose
Will do Kate!

Quote:
I'll be sure to clean it up when I give him hell on his thread.
We had a long talk concerning his Jeep today over those sammiches, you would have been proud. The money (about 5k) is just about set aside and planned for around October to buy us the cleanest project 6cyl auto TJ we can find within 500 miles.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #3810
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The top looks awesome , well worth the wait .

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.