The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 246 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #3676
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Spy Photos That Reveal Absolutely Nothing

Pictured: Greta, a Cobra, some seats from a Ferrari 250 California, the headliner for a 31 Packard, and a vintage...refrigerator.

As you can likely tell, Today's Jeeping was an unplanned visit up to the shop that's handling the top. Thankfully, there was nothing seriously amiss; I just had to run the rear top bow up to the guy that's building the top because - after examining everything in detail - he decided that he wants to use both the middle and the rear bows in order to get this thing looking how I want it to look...and that makes me feel a lot better about the entire process. We went over a few finer points and he was right on the money in all regards. Basically, the middle bow and windshield headliner are going to remain intact, and the rear bow is going to be slightly modified and will end up sitting about four inches behind the middle bow, thus providing an ultra-strong rear corner. The fabric looked nice - you'll notice that I was careful to avoid any view of it in the picture I took - and I also got a look at the hardware that's being used to fasten everything...

Pictured: Sexy-time stainless.

Overall, I was very pleased...not only because 1) this is a person that knows what they are doing and that honestly cares about their work, but also because 2) he's working over the weekend because he promised that it would be done on Monday...and that says something. Needless to say, the differences between this shop and the monkeys that were originally going to take care of it are staggering...and as we all know: if there's one thing I hate above everything else on the planet - even more than pickles, mayonnaise and The French - it's a f****** monkey.
The 250 California Spyder is one of the sexiest cars ever made. I also have a big soft spot for classic Alfa's, and pre-killed monkeys

The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #3677
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
The 250 California Spyder is one of the sexiest cars ever made. I also have a big soft spot for classic Alfa's, and pre-killed monkeys
I like a gorilla, and I like an orangutan... but I hate a f****** monkey. The only good monkey is a pre-killed monkey; that's why the Republic of Dave specializes in providing - among other things - pre-killed monkeys for scientific research. They're one of our chief exports, along with Increased Sammich Sales and Bad Ideas.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #3678
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I needed a PKM for some crash testing yesterday over here in Cali, could NOT find one anywhere. Had to use a real baby! That's Cali for ya..... Plenty of Chic-fil-a and BAD ideas / Never enough PKM's. The Republic moveth West!
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #3679
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

I love a jeep and yours is awesome but....holy crap what a beautiful Cobra!
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #3680
SPeery
2010 JK Wrangler 

Three thousand six hundred and seventy-nine posts later, I'm done. Great thread, Sundowner. Great build, too! I'm learning tons from you and I will certainly pay whatever's needed for a RoD bumper sticker. Greta is beautiful. It's awesome to see someone who actually believes in craftsmanship in this day and age!

Just bought my first jeep, a JKU Sahara two weeks ago. Only thing modded on it is my mats and some MOPAR sill guards. Reading this thread has made me even more excited to get started with my build and wanting to do it right, not quick.

Thanks for all the great info!
SPeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #3681
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeery View Post
Three thousand six hundred and seventy-nine posts later, I'm done. Great thread, Sundowner. Great build, too! I'm learning tons from you and I will certainly pay whatever's needed for a RoD bumper sticker. Greta is beautiful. It's awesome to see someone who actually believes in craftsmanship in this day and age!

Just bought my first jeep, a JKU Sahara two weeks ago. Only thing modded on it is my mats and some MOPAR sill guards. Reading this thread has made me even more excited to get started with my build and wanting to do it right, not quick.

Thanks for all the great info!
Best of luck to you!
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #3682
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I needed a PKM for some crash testing yesterday over here in Cali, could NOT find one anywhere. Had to use a real baby! That's Cali for ya..... Plenty of Chic-fil-a and BAD ideas / Never enough PKM's. The Republic moveth West!
I hate a chimp, too, but you said it best right there: there are never enough pre-killed monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
I love a jeep and yours is awesome but....holy crap what a beautiful Cobra!
It really was a nice-looking car. The dash is getting replaced in it, and I think the zip-up convertible top, as well.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the compliments; I hope to keep it entertaining and informative, because that means Greta gets more fun parts and modifications. I'll add your name to the sticker list.

Quote:
Well, you're starting off in a good way by thinking before you buy; most people don't do that. I hope that excitement continues for you, because it's really fun to tinker around with a Jeep. Especially a new one.

[QUOTE=SPeery;15065763Thanks for all the great info![/QUOTE]

Again, you're very welcome, and thank you for reading.

Unread 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #3683
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also: Today's Jeeping was basically nothing more than trying to nail down some future axle plans...whether to search for bigger stuff or to build what I have, over time. Hard decision.

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #3684
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dibs on your old axles
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #3685
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also: Today's Jeeping whether to search for bigger stuff or to build what I have, over time. Hard decision.
I was wondering when i would be reading this. Im sure since the recent hot topic in connors thread that many people are contemptlating ALL the axle possibilities now.

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #3686
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also: Today's Jeeping was basically nothing more than trying to nail down some future axle plans...whether to search for bigger stuff or to build what I have, over time. Hard decision.
You have to ACTUALLY WHEEL IT!!! In order to need to think about these things! Gotta motivate! MOAB JUNE
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #3687
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You have to ACTUALLY WHEEL IT!!! In order to need to think about these things! Gotta motivate! MOAB JUNE
I second this.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #3688
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post
I second this.
You too Lady! You guys with your Rubicons, Kate rocking an LJ.... here I am with my little SE with stock axles trying to hang out....
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #3689
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Dibs on your old axles
Hehehe...if/when they get replaced, mine will go to the LJ. I think it's more of a "when" than an "if" but it ain't gonna be anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKing View Post
I was wondering when i would be reading this. Im sure since the recent hot topic in connors thread that many people are contemptlating ALL the axle possibilities now.
A lot of stuff led up to it, but I did some reading on the Jana kit to see if I really wanted to go that route and try to make my TJ44's handle the worst I could throw at them. Results: I'm going to do a sensible build with what I have and learn the breakage limitations before I do anything else. When Greta wants Big Girl Axles ( ) she'll get them.

Quote:
I wish we could, but everyone's going to be there a week or so before we'll even be able to leave. Annabelle's time off from work is pretty fixed. Nonetheless, there's wheeling rapidly approaching...pending that I can afford gas after this top is paid for.

Unread 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #3690
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...l-housing.html
Jana kit info for those who are asking what the heck it is . 35 splines would be awesome ...

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.