The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 233 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3481
mp15dc
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner;
[B
Edit: [/B]I could probably run an external regulator instead of a regulated fuel rail...that would likely be simpler.
Like a fuel filter from a C5 Corvette. It has a built in regulator.
Wix 33737.

mp15dc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #3482
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've put a little thought into the fuel tank myself. Beasley has a good a point, even in my rock strewn world in the Sierra's my Savvy skid works good and my tank scraping is a minimal issue (although I scrape it A LOT).

What I have always thought is that there has got to be another tank, out of another vehicle (maybe even a dodge with a common fuel pump) that is SMALLER or shaped in a manor so as to provide better clearance that could be adapted to the stock location. All it would take is some leg work in the junkyard, some measurements and a little trial and error. After that, a skid could be fabbed up using factory mounting locations and you're done!~ I KNOW this tank exists, and the guy who figures this out is going to start a VERY popular trend.
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #3483
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
You may be over thinking the gas tank . I run a Savvy skid in the raised position , and I have only hit it once . I suspect you would hit it less as you have a better departure angle .
I don't think I'd hit it much either...but I just don't want to see any more of it than is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
Exactly why I said hell with it! Lol! Besides with the new plans, i'll be installing a cell before too long.
I hear that, man...and if I didn't need all the cargo space available (and more) that's what I'd be doing, too. Swap the pump/sender/regulator/filter - which will now forevermore be known as the Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit* - into the cell and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp15dc View Post
Like a fuel filter from a C5 Corvette. It has a built in regulator. Wix 33737.
You learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
I've put a little thought into the fuel tank myself. Beasley has a good a point, even in my rock strewn world in the Sierra's my Savvy skid works good and my tank scraping is a minimal issue (although I scrape it A LOT).

What I have always thought is that there has got to be another tank, out of another vehicle (maybe even a dodge with a common fuel pump) that is SMALLER or shaped in a manor so as to provide better clearance that could be adapted to the stock location. All it would take is some leg work in the junkyard, some measurements and a little trial and error. After that, a skid could be fabbed up using factory mounting locations and you're done!~ I KNOW this tank exists, and the guy who figures this out is going to start a VERY popular trend.
You're all over my thought process; shallower tank in stock location. The issue - and in case nobody knew this, it's a HUGE issue - is the sending unit. The TJ uses - and correct me if I'm wrong, here - a sending unit with a resistance of 20 to 220 ohms...which seems to be rather odd, aside from other Mopar stuff from similar years. This is one big reason that people use the back-of-the-tub fuel cell and stuff the TJ's FCCU - that's the Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit, for those of you that don't remember - into the cell...you don't have to worry about your gas gauge f****** up on you because the resistance is the same. There are ways to make another sending unit function, but I honestly don't know the in's and out's of them at this point; thus, the trick would be to:

- Find a sending unit that has the same resistance but will fit in an aftermarket fuel cell or shallower tank.
- Find a tank/sending unit combination that will bolt into the stock location that gives better clearance and plays nicely with the TJ gauges.
- Discover the in's and out's of altering sending unit resistance, and thus rendering the stock sending unit capable of being placed in another cell/tank.

Either way, I want a high-clearance tank that doesn't give away too much fuel capacity...and knowing that I'm not going to do a rear stretch at any foreseeable point helps me a bit. I may go with a basic high-position Savvy for awhile, but this seems like a fun side project to me. It's worth some Muppet Labs time.

*It makes shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #3484
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Or be different just for the sake of being different. Believe me it's not worth it. If I wouldn't lose my ***, I'd go back to stock and start over in a heartbeat. Why piece all that **** together? Stop overthinking it. Either rock your current set up, but with a tucked skid like Savvy, replace the tank with a purejeep tank and modify it like I did for a LOT more clearance, or just break down and run a fuel cell like I ended up having to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #3485
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Or be different just for the sake of being different. Believe me it's not worth it. If I wouldn't lose my ***, I'd go back to stock and start over in a heartbeat. Why piece all that **** together? Stop overthinking it. Either rock your current set up, but with a tucked skid like Savvy, replace the tank with a purejeep tank and modify it like I did for a LOT more clearance, or just break down and run a fuel cell like I ended up having to do.
I only re-invent wheels when I feel the need to do so; if I thought I could get mucho clearance with the Savvy skid and all of the junk on top of an '03 tank, I'd do that. Do you have either a link or a quick synopsis for what you did you yours in order to get the clearance?

No fuel cell in the tub! Arg!

Unread 02-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #3486
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He's not trying to re-invent the wheel. He's thinking outside the box. And currently inside the box is an aftermarket that has provided very few options for the people who NEED the tank under the Jeep.

My thoughts are that there HAS to be similar Chrysler vehicles of the era with with similar hardware to make it all work. The auto makers success depends on parts similarities across models. It's just gonna take someone to do the legwork. For example I would gladly take a Neon tank, with a smaller capacity but 3 inches more clearance and possibly the ability to stretch my wheelbase for pennies compared to a $700+ purejeep or gen-right tank..... a trip to the junkyard just to see how feasible this all is might be in order.

What we have going for us, in a TJ, is that the tank mounting area could not be more simple, flat, and easy to work with. 7 easy to reach nuts and the tank is down, The filler neck is right there..... the catch... is that we need a shallow tank.
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #3487
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I only re-invent wheels when I feel the need to do so; if I thought I could get mucho clearance with the Savvy skid and all of the junk on top of an '03 tank, I'd do that. Do you have either a link or a quick synopsis for what you did you yours in order to get the clearance?

No fuel cell in the tub! Arg!
There's only one thing you can do with a stock tank to get it up higher than a Savvy skid.....and that's cut out your floor. Unless you're magic!
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #3488
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There's only one thing you can do with a stock tank to get it up higher than a Savvy skid.....and that's cut out your floor. Unless you're magic!
I have no problems with trying something innovative... but I want the floor intact. Savvy did an awesome job engineering that skid, and it gets me a nice chunk of clearance. I'd actually be happy to run that setup and try to find a shallower tank in my off-time... and that kind of thing is fun, for me. I like trying new things even if they don't work out perfectly; the worst that can happen is spending time grave-robbing and learning a LOT about the TJ fuel system!

Unread 02-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #3489
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you are willing to do a good bit more than minor surgery, I'll bother digging up pics if I have them. In case you didn't know, I vowed to keep my PJ tank under my Jeep and still get 104" of WB until I gave up and got a fuel cell "to get the Jeep done faster". Hendrix now has the PJ tank. I still feel that I could have done it. Essentially, the PJ tank mounts the same as the stock tank. However it has a slanted back. I cut out the rear valance sheet metal, bent a new piece to match the angle, and even went so far as to build a 2x4 rectangle bumper/crossmember with recessed mounting for the tank mounts. My tank actually sat flush with the tailgate. I had it tucked up all the way within 1/4" of the tub. You'll also have to (you'll want to) cut out the stock shock crossmember and build a new one. It's not difficult.

And I have an 05. The same pump and **** as you. You are barking up the wrong tree. I've been there, done that. And I'm telling you, it's not worth it. But don't take my word for it. (queue Levar Burton)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #3490
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And I have an 05. The same pump and **** as you. You are barking up the wrong tree. I've been there, done that. And I'm telling you, it's not worth it. But don't take my word for it. (queue Levar Burton)
Where's Mr. Scott when we need him?

Pictures would be good, but only when you have a chance. No rush... I'm still doing my homework.

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #3491
gst95dsm

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly your build, unless you decide to go in a completely new direction is PERFECT for the Savvy skid. Until I got mine I fantasized regularly about only seeing the rear bumper back there and then air Since I bought it though, until I read this exchange, I haven't given it another thought and am still enamored with the curved design and the look of the raw aluminum. Now on a side note..... before I ponied up the $329, I did modify my stock skid by cutting about an inch off the top of the skid, and rebending the mounting flanges. Worked beautifully until I realized I was slamming it so hard I was bending it and it still was rubbing my track bar after tweaking my pinion angle. (the Savvy fixed all that).

Some things are easy...... sorry man!
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #3492
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Honestly your build, unless you decide to go in a completely new direction is PERFECT for the Savvy skid. Until I got mine I fantasized regularly about only seeing the rear bumper back there and then air Since I bought it though, until I read this exchange, I haven't given it another thought and am still enamored with the curved design and the look of the raw aluminum. Now on a side note..... before I ponied up the $329, I did modify my stock skid by cutting about an inch off the top of the skid, and rebending the mounting flanges. Worked beautifully until I realized I was slamming it so hard I was bending it and it still was rubbing my track bar after tweaking my pinion angle. (the Savvy fixed all that).

Some things are easy...... sorry man!
Going with the Savvy skid is a great option for many reasons - most of them having been pointed out in the last few posts - and that's very likely what I will do in order to get some cheap/easy clearance under the gas tank. However, I already know that I'm not going to be completely satisfied with it because I have the feeling that the gas tank could go higher without a huge deal of work; in fact, I know that can happen through some modification of the factory sending unit, which would enable it to be used in a shallower tank in the same location. Finding the shallower tank might be a bit tough because there very well may not be a bolt-in/drop-in solution...but if it takes building a tank to get what I want, I'll just have to build a tank. Having someone like Mark The UberWelder close at-hand makes that kind of thing a lot easier; I won't do a custom setup anytime soon - again: finances - but there's no reason not to plan it out and do some cheap research.

Unread 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #3493
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Going with the Savvy skid is a great option for many reasons - most of them having been pointed out in the last few posts - and that's very likely what I will do in order to get some cheap/easy clearance under the gas tank. However, I already know that I'm not going to be completely satisfied with it because I have the feeling that the gas tank could go higher without a huge deal of work; in fact, I know that can happen through some modification of the factory sending unit, which would enable it to be used in a shallower tank in the same location. Finding the shallower tank might be a bit tough because there very well may not be a bolt-in/drop-in solution...but if it takes building a tank to get what I want, I'll just have to build a tank. Having someone like Mark The UberWelder close at-hand makes that kind of thing a lot easier; I won't do a custom setup anytime soon - again: finances - but there's no reason not to plan it out and do some cheap research.
And building your own could even be cheaper. I wish you less frustration than the top. And spare.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #3494
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKGB View Post

And building your own could even be cheaper. I wish you less frustration than the top. And spare.
If I can modify the factory sending unit, all things become possible. That's a project for my spare time, though; for now, I'm busy hoping that the top isn't as expensive as was quoted.

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3495
KateKGB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If I can modify the factory sending unit, all things become possible. That's a project for my spare time, though; for now, I'm busy hoping that the top isn't as expensive as was quoted.
I didn't know you even had spare time over there. Personally, im very busy with an appointment to not get dressed and stay in bed. Important stuff.
[SIZE="4"]'05 Unlimited Rubicon - Sahara Edition #431[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B]We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal
A generation born, to witness the end of the world[/B]
KateKGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.