The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 230 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3436 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's basically the idea, here...and before it's done I might wish I had gone that route. I've finally found someone that has said "Yep, I can handle that" and the price tag is about $1300; granted, that's sight-unseen and with him going off of my descriptions - and likely covering his a** up front - but it's the first "yes" I've gotten from someone that is capable of answering a phone more than once. I'm going to have to take a page from Jay's book and start selling Republic of Dave swag in order to cover the costs.
Ok I may be a bit goofy here but w/o going back to find a pictur of the final product of your deck, IIRC there is like an upraised portion along the back where your seats are and it goes all the way to just in front or even with the roll bar by the doors.

Couldn't you take a wrap-a-round and where it snaps to a normal deck cover do the same with your hard one, but instaed of that flap stopping at the corner go all the way around. Giving you a half cab type back that is weather proof to an extent? I mean since it will still have a gap where the top meets the jammer.

And $1300??? WT is this guy making it out of? Sail cloth spun with titanium and gold thread???? Holy schnikeys.....

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3437 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
* Gets in line for Muppet Labs swag *
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Love me some swag. I'm in.
Even I can't go that far into ruthless self-aggrandizement. Jay had legitimate cause and a good reason; I just don't have enough soluble assets. I was going to make myself some sort of shirt for the sake of pointless entertainment, but it never really occurred to me that anyone else would seriously want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdown87 View Post
Ok I may be a bit goofy here but w/o going back to find a pictur of the final product of your deck, IIRC there is like an upraised portion along the back where your seats are and it goes all the way to just in front or even with the roll bar by the doors.
Correct; the upper skirt runs all the way to the door surrounds.

Quote:
Couldn't you take a wrap-a-round and where it snaps to a normal deck cover do the same with your hard one, but instaed of that flap stopping at the corner go all the way around. Giving you a half cab type back that is weather proof to an extent? I mean since it will still have a gap where the top meets the jammer.
You could, but the upper skirt is in the wrong place; it's too far to the rear, so the windjammers physically wouldn't fit. We considered modifying a windjammer for a while, but by the time it would get to what I wanted, I would be better to just have the piece cut and made...and that's what led to a custom half-cab. I likes the weather-tightness.

Quote:
And $1300??? WT is this guy making it out of? Sail cloth spun with titanium and gold thread???? Holy schnikeys.....
When that number was quoted, it was early in the conversation...and I think that it was an "it can't be any more than this, no matter what this idiot wants to have done" number that assumed a LOT of work on his part. After I told him that I had two complete tops for patterning, all of the plastic clips, the hardware, top bows, windshield headers and a provision for him to easily attach the rear portions of the window, things changed and he said that all of that would cut WAY down on the work...but we didn't correct the quoted number. It then came out that he was also assuming that there might be upper door skins involved; naturally, having full doors precludes this.

Now, if he was going to have to figure out a way to attach everything and a way to make it all tension up properly and then do a set of upper door skins and add some other nice custom features into the mix...okay, I could believe $1300. However, I've either done all of the figuring ahead of time or made the attachment/tension points really brainless...so I think it's going to be less. I'd be accepting of $1000, pleased with $850, and ready to let him keep it and do it right then at $700.

I honestly can't see that it's worth a lot more than that, because we're still talking about a yard and a half of sailcloth and half that much plastic window material. Two yards of zipper, some velcro and a handful of snaps and the materials list is DONE. It's all in the time after that point, and if it'll last me several years I'm happy to pay a bit more. I'm driving out there on Monday to let him take a look at it, and hopefully by then I'll have another quote from another shop that I'm waiting to hear back from.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3438 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Or, I could be totally wrong. The second estimate just came in: $1400.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3439 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
The_Eng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even I can't go that far into ruthless self-aggrandizement. Jay had legitimate cause and a good reason; I just don't have enough soluble assets. I was going to make myself some sort of shirt for the sake of pointless entertainment, but it never really occurred to me that anyone else would seriously want them.
If you do decide to proceed with some Muppet Labs finery let me know. One of my friends has her own business screen printing here in Fort Collins. I can link you to the website but I wasn't sure if that was kosher on the forum.
post #3440 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
H3lzsn1p3r

you should go to a local seamstress I had my yj top custom made to fit like yours would need to be for 500 bux with new clips and zippers
post #3441 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
If you do decide to proceed with some Muppet Labs finery let me know. One of my friends has her own business screen printing here in Fort Collins. I can link you to the website but I wasn't sure if that was kosher on the forum.
As the Designated Professional Expert on kashrut law as it regards links, I'm going to say "PM it to me, just to be on the safe side."

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
you should go to a local seamstress I had my yj top custom made to fit like yours would need to be for 500 bux with new clips and zippers
We checked a few places like that; they don't have machines that will handle the fabric/plastic joints.

post #3442 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
357transam
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Too bad you aren't in CO. My parents next door neighbor does hot rod interiors, and could do it no problem.
post #3443 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maintain, wheel, upgrade, repeat.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
post #3444 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We need to get her ^ a Republic of Dave shirt.

post #3445 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Republic of Dave bikinis?

I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.
Build - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimicon-build-1477723/
post #3446 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

$1300 - $1400 is a LOT ! I would price having two made at the same time as it probably wouldnt cost much more ,and you would have a spare .

As to the long welded seams , its doable but it is easy to get twist and warpage . What exactly are you trying to build ?

Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
post #3447 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM
MO2500
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As far as the rear "bumper" is concerned, I have to decide whether or not to hack apart a piece of 2"x4" tube and then re-box it, or get some plate laser/plasma/water cut and make some LONG welded seams. Given that information, some of you already know what I'm going to do.
For something like a bumper, I find it easier to start with the rectangular tubing, cut it how you want, and then re-box. Easier to keep everything straight and less welding and finish work to make it look clean.

Instagram: @omsmike
post #3448 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Republic of Dave bikinis?
Now this is officer thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
$1300 - $1400 is a LOT ! I would price having two made at the same time as it probably wouldnt cost much more ,and you would have a spare .
It is a lot, and I still think they're highball numbers. However, I checked with a friend that does custom sewing - no, he doesn't have any capacity for sewing a top, nor could he find anyone that had both an inclination and a machine to do it - and he said that it seemed a bit high, but really not terribly bad for custom work with heavy material that's a pain in the a** to sew...not to mention those plastic door clips, which he thought would be the worst of it. I hadn't considered doing two at once, but I'll ask about it and see what it might cost. Thanks for thinking of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
As to the long welded seams , its doable but it is easy to get twist and warpage . What exactly are you trying to build ?
What am I trying to build? Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
For something like a bumper, I find it easier to start with the rectangular tubing, cut it how you want, and then re-box. Easier to keep everything straight and less welding and finish work to make it look clean.
...I bet this guy knows.

Awhile ago, I mentioned that I was considering a bit of a different take on the whole idea of a bumper...and that it was either going to seriously work, or seriously not work. Well, evidently it works just fine because Mike (MO2500) has already done it; he removed his rear crossmember and replaced it with a stronger, cleaner crossmember/bumper hybrid that's boxed-in nicely and has some beefy recovery points. In doing this, he gained some departure clearance, cleaned up the rear of his frame, and completely avoided the unnecessary weight of a bolt-on bumper...and this was the EXACT plan that I was concocting. I had originally thought about a lightweight aluminum shroud that would wrap the crossmember and clean it up, and at some point I tumbled onto the "hey...what if I just nuke-proof the crossmember itself?" thought. I sent Mike a PM to inquire as to how it has worked out over time, and he gave me a thumbs-up "I wouldn't change anything" report. It's strong, it's light, and it's minimalist...so Imped should be happy.

Anyway, after discovering that I have a good source for water/laser/plasma cutting in small quantities from .dwg (CAD) files, I began to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to piece the thing together rather than to cut tubing and re-box it...but the long seams - and they're really long - across the top would be a pain to weld, and I'm not very good at welding. I thought I could tack it all in place, then start filling in with stitch welds, and then fill in the stitches...all after the piece was cooled-down, of course. However, I'm just not sure that I'd get a decent weld at the edges of my stitches. The precision-cut pieces would be nice to have because they could be cut to literally fit together, but they would take a lot more work. Whichever route I go, I want to use the rear as practice for the front; I see no reason that an integral bumper can't work there as well...however, I'm open to criticism of that idea.

Of course, if this top costs as much as it seems like it's going to cost, I might be playing with cardboard for awhile.

post #3449 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Knock knock.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #3450 of 8099 Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Knock knock.
(Okay, I'll bite...)

Who's there?

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wasteland-survival-guide-engineering-greta-1344782/
Posted By For Type Date
glockforum | BoardReader This thread Refback 08-15-2012 09:17 AM
sears diehard batteries - forum communication | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-31-2012 07:50 AM