The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #316
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
Great information thus far! As you mentioned there are many ways to do this install. My only suggestion is removing the rear driveshaft at the transfercase reduces the edge factor of sitting close to a freight train.
We considered that, and if you don't have four big-a** jack stands it's a very viable solution. However, we had a few other factors in play:
- we did, in fact, have four big-a** jack stands.
- it was quicker and simpler to pull the tires, rather than the driveshaft.
- the brake system needed a total bleed and fluid replacement...and it was easier to do the bleed at the rear with the tires out of the way.

I was more worried about beard damage than being run over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I have to assign myself to the Remedial-LD group of viewers, unfortunately, but once I overcame the denial it wasn't hard to make this post!
Aww..that's okay...you just get to spend more time at recess than the rest of us!

Quote:
I could not find why you are turning the unit bearings. Is this due to the extraordinarily large calipers? sorry... sorry...
Actually, a lot of people can get confused here. First let me clarify that the "unit bearing" is not really just a bearing...it's the entire outer assembly that the hub and bearing form when they're manufactured as one unit. It's bearing/hub combination, essentially...so everything from the knuckle-side flange to the rotor flange is technically all part of the unit bearing. When we refer to turning down the diameter we're talking about the exterior hub itself that actually has rotational movement.

If we'd pulled the castle nuts that you see at the center of the hub flange in some of the pictures, we could have removed the unit bearing and left the axles in place. However, there wasn't much of a reason to do something like that: we'd still have to figure some way to do the diameter adjustment, and the outer stub shaft splines would have been just hanging out and getting debris all over themselves.

As for why we're doing the retardedly-dangerous grinding, it's because the inside diameter of the new rotor hat is smaller than the outside diameter of the stock unit bearing flange. The former fits over the latter, or at least it will once the unit bearing flange is reduced in diameter. So: it's done to clear the new rotor.

Quote:
And I must add that watching a build conducted by someone who is knowledgeable and skilled, and has a plan, is one of the highlights of this forum.

Finally, Jeff Scherb (if you have not seen it), has a very good thread on building a trailer. In that thread he covers, in detail, creating negative molds, including the release agents he purchased to make his skins. Lots of pics. It could be relevant to your half-door idea.
Thank you for the compliment! And yes, I have seen Jeff's thread...posted in it a few times, as well. Right now we're planning on doing a carbon-over wood skeleton and then skinning it with aluminum...but the idea of a total carbon door has already been discussed.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #317
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Aww..that's okay...you just get to spend more time at recess than the rest of us!
Sheesh... you been spying on me!

Quote:
Actually, a lot of people can get confused here. First let me clarify that the "unit bearing" is not really just a bearing...it's the entire outer assembly that the hub and bearing form when they're manufactured as one unit. It's bearing/hub combination, essentially...so everything from the knuckle-side flange to the rotor flange is technically all part of the unit bearing. When we refer to turning down the diameter we're talking about the exterior hub itself that actually has rotational movement.

As for why we're doing the retardedly-dangerous grinding, it's because the inside diameter of the new rotor hat is smaller than the outside diameter of the stock unit bearing flange. The former fits over the latter, or at least it will once the unit bearing flange is reduced in diameter. So: it's done to clear the new rotor.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I will not likely be making the same mods, but I do like to understand what is happening. I think your method of turning the "hubs" (that's what I would call them, although technically incorrect) is pure redneck genius! Something I cater to... Well done.

Quote:
Thank you for the compliment! And yes, I have seen Jeff's thread...posted in it a few times, as well. Right now we're planning on doing a carbon-over wood skeleton and then skinning it with aluminum...but the idea of a total carbon door has already been discussed.
Looking forward to that part of the build.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #318
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodasDead View Post
She's wearing an Hk hat while working on a jeep?

mother of god.

Loving the build man, really looking forward to the toolkit/gear writeup!
HAH!!! I was thinking that very same thing yesterday!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #319
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I will not likely be making the same mods, but I do like to understand what is happening. I think your method of turning the "hubs" (that's what I would call them, although technically incorrect) is pure redneck genius! Something I cater to... Well done.
No problem. I'll go back and make a few edits to make that section more clear.

As far as the method is concerned: you would be surprised as to how often necessity ends up being the mother of invention, my friend. I've heard of things like this being done before so the credit doesn't go to me. In fact, Vanco's instructions show the unit bearings still in place with a scribed line, ready for grinding. Naturally, there's no mention of doing this with the vehicle running, but hey...if you've got a built-in lathe, why not use it?

Unread 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #320
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Brilliant!

However, as an LJ owner, I look forward to Annabelle's thread with great interest, too.

For the Jeep....really. Seriously, for the Jeep.
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #321
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I made a few text changes to the "Making Room" post, but nothing serious. Thanks to everyone that has questions: they help me to make things clear and better-written.

However, no thanks go to ARB, whatsoever. Translation: WHERE THE F*** IS MY REPLACEMENT SHOCK?!?!

That's right...it's still not here. Invisible Chipmunk still lives in the wheel well. I haven't even gotten a confirmation from the e-mails I've sent asking for a confirmation of the warranty claim. This kind of thing makes me want to go punt a Pekingese.

Unread 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #322
willman611
1997 ZJ 

There are just too many forms of sexiness in this thread. It should be illegal. But then again, we wouldn't be able to enjoy it as we have. Give Annabelle a hug for everyone and give Andrew a pat on the back. I'm sure it's nice having such useful helpers.
willman611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #323
357transam
There's a better way....

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Being an avid reader for the last couple of weeks, I figured that I would finally make a post. I admit that I took an entirely different approach to building my TJ, (feet first without enough research), and being in the automotive industry myself, many of the subjects you are covering are not new material. However, I can't help but hop on the thread to see what crazy antics you are up to on a daily basis. Bravo for enthralling us all with your Epic stories! And I do have to ask; Do you get your super powers from the Sammiches? Or is it the re-donk-ulously Awesome beard???
357transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #324
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357transam View Post
Being an avid reader for the last couple of weeks, I figured that I would finally make a post. I admit that I took an entirely different approach to building my TJ, (feet first without enough research), and being in the automotive industry myself, many of the subjects you are covering are not new material. However, I can't help but hop on the thread to see what crazy antics you are up to on a daily basis. Bravo for enthralling us all with your Epic stories! And I do have to ask; Do you get your super powers from the Sammiches? Or is it the re-donk-ulously Awesome beard???
It's completely beard-based. To this end I cite ZZ Top, Kimbo Slice, Chuck Norris, Charles Darwin, Jesus, and perhaps the most impressive hominid that's ever walked the face of the earth: The Awesomeness That Is Former President Theodore Roosevelt, whom is famous for making four different continents his b**** with naught but a '95 Winchester and a mustache.

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #325
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ahhh the good 'ol Lever Action. Some things never go out of style.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #326
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh btw you inspired me after the arduous task of installing my Spartan front locker. Mmmmmm I even sprung for the deluxe spicy chicken.
img_0685.jpg  
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #327
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a cool thread
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #328
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ Pictured: Life-size waffle fries.

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #329
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your writing style is a resemblance of The Motor City Madman.

Have you read "Ted, White, and Blue"? Great book, Great man!!! Rock on!!
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...022.Ted_Nugent
ted-white-blue.jpg

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #330
45AUTO
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If I recall correctly this was a 16" kit. Does the 15" kit require the same clearancing for the unit bearing flange?
45AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.