The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 212 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #3166
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Minor Hi-jack:

Sundowner - I may have missed it in this mega-thread but is there any truth to the rumor that beards are required in the Republic of Dave? If so, that would explain the rampant wearing of cheap sunglasses and of course, the fact that through this monumental work you have become not just BAD, but Nationwide.

Should you ever get to The Republic of Texas, I've heard tell of a small place outside of Lagrange that puts on a pretty good party. Unless of course you have brought the lovely Annabelle with you. In which case you might want to just pass that by.
thats what i heard on the X!
we now return you to the regularly scheduled program.

misterdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #3167
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Sundowner - I may have missed it in this mega-thread but is there any truth to the rumor that beards are required in the Republic of Dave?
Beards are not required, but they do give you Bonus Points.

Today's Jeeping: Things are still on-hold, somewhat; Annabelle had to make an emergency trip on short notice due to family being in ill-health, and I have a gun show to attend all weekend. I'm planning on doing a bit of looking-around for firepower and a few other sundries while I'm there.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #3168
chazzone

The Chicken Ranch is closed boys... the Moose out front should have told ya...
chazzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #3169
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

4 days with no activity?? Must be a record!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #3170
cycleguy04

Didn't want to join a gun forum to ask this question.

I have an SKS with an aftermarket folding stock and polymer, 30 round, duck bill mags. It was having feeding issues so I put the original 10 round fixed mag back on. At the same time I field stripped the rifle to be sure everything was intact. The piston return spring was missing! I looked in the box of goodies I got with the gun when I purchased it and, low and behold, there it is.

So after returning the gun to it's original manufactured state (with piston return spring) I shot about 40 rounds through it without a hiccup.

My question is, IN THEORY, without the piston return spring, how would the gun operate?

The problem that I had was every fourth or fifth bullet or so was being rammed into the area outside the barrel and not making into the barrel as it should. Which makes me wonder, maybe the spring in the polymer mag was not strong enough to feed the bullet high enough before the slide comes in contact with it, or the bullets are binding up in the mags.

I will eventually try the mags again and see if it works, just want to see what you guys think about the missing piston return spring.

Sundowner, I apologize in advance for the shot of the red head.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #3171
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cycleguy, it has been 15 years since I stripped an SKS but IIRC the piston does not have a return spring it relies on the Op rod/spring. I am going off memory so not 100%, I have seen a lot of feeding issues with aftermarket magazines for the SKS and crappy followers/springs that they come with. The problem you described with the rounds FTF sounds like a magazine issue, my RPK's fed well with some different mags but I ended up putting the fixed 10rd mags back in the two SKS I owned. I have since sold off my RPK's and SKS's but they are great rifles and cheap to shoot!

Hope this helps

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #3172
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762
Cycleguy, it has been 15 years since I stripped an SKS but IIRC the piston does not have a return spring it relies on the Op rod/spring. I am going off memory so not 100%, I have seen a lot of feeding issues with aftermarket magazines for the SKS and crappy followers/springs that they come with. The problem you described with the rounds FTF sounds like a magazine issue, my RPK's fed well with some different mags but I ended up putting the fixed 10rd mags back in the two SKS I owned. I have since sold off my RPK's and SKS's but they are great rifles and cheap to shoot!

Hope this helps
The exploded view I got off the web labeled it as a piston return spring, but operating rod spring would be a better name for it.

I hear the metal 30 round mags work better. I'll buy one one of those and see how it works, but I think the gun just makes more sense with it's intended fixed mag. The only problem is the stripper clips are kind of a pain to feed into the mag.

Other than that, I love the gun! It's reliable and packs a punch with little enough recoil that it can comfortably be shot all day.

Thanks for the agreement. I'm surprised the thing even worked at all without the spring.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #3173
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
4 days with no activity?? Must be a record!
Yeah, it's been a slow period, but work is off the f****** chain. I'm basically doing as much as I possibly can do in order to set aside money for parts, tops and a voyage to Colorado. It makes for a slow thread now, but it'll pay off later. I also snapped a few more pictures after that little ice-fall we had; that was a fun drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
My question is, IN THEORY, without the piston return spring, how would the gun operate?
I'll be honest; I've never had an SKS apart, or even that many of them in my hands...but without the operating spring, I can't figure how the thing would cycle at all.

Quote:
The problem that I had was every fourth or fifth bullet or so was being rammed into the area outside the barrel and not making into the barrel as it should. Which makes me wonder, maybe the spring in the polymer mag was not strong enough to feed the bullet high enough before the slide comes in contact with it, or the bullets are binding up in the mags.
That sounds like a sizing issue in the magazine coupled with a weak follower spring; the rounds may be stacking incorrectly and the spring may not have enough pressure to jack the lead round up far enough to be picked up and chambered. Or, it could simply be a weak spring by itself. Or - and you should be starting to see the problem by now - it could be inconsistency in ammunition. There are a lot of "or" situations in Soviet-production rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
I am going off memory so not 100%, I have seen a lot of feeding issues with aftermarket magazines for the SKS and crappy followers/springs that they come with. The problem you described with the rounds FTF sounds like a magazine issue, my RPK's fed well with some different mags but I ended up putting the fixed 10rd mags back in the two SKS I owned.
I've heard of that issue more than once; some are more finicky with magazine conversions than others.

Quote:
I hear the metal 30 round mags work better. I'll buy one one of those and see how it works, but I think the gun just makes more sense with it's intended fixed mag. The only problem is the stripper clips are kind of a pain to feed into the mag.
Most make more sense that way, and most seem to be a bit more reliable. Try mucking around with spring pressure or a different magazine, and if all else fails go back to the factory configuration. I have to admit, though...M-conversions usually work reasonably well.

Unread 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #3174
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Details on the Colorado trip? May I be so bold as to suggest Black Bear as a "must do"?
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #3175
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRubicon View Post
Details on the Colorado trip? May I be so bold as to suggest Black Bear as a "must do"?
"Mary Elizabeth drawed a picture of the road; it looked like a whole bunch of Z's and W's all strung together."

I don't have many details, other than 1) it's scheduled for June, and 2) we might find us a Beasley out there, somewhere. We're going to check out the Durango area and some of the surroundings; suggestions are welcome.

Unread 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #3176
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

jeep sneakers 315/75/16 trail grapplers just got here
tires.jpg  
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #3177
rmappelt
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I have to hop in now. Usually I just lurk and read all the awesome stuff because I don't have much too add, but I think I can add a little about the Durango area. It is a great area and I don't think you can go wrong there with just about anything. You have to spend some time in Silverton. If you are a train buff and have the cash, the train ride from Durango to Silverton is scenic. Lots of great, beautiful trails up there. In addition to Black Bear you might want to check out Imogene, Yankee Boy (great scenery) and Mineral Creek to Engineer's to Animas Forks. Then don't forget the pool in Ouray along with some of the restaurants (Bon Ton, O'Brien's Pub and Ouray Brewery - nice roof top deck). Also they show the video version of San Juan Odyssey at the Main Street Auditorium. It isn't as good as the original slide show in the opera house done years ago, but better than nothing.

Thanks for your efforts in creating such an entretaining and informative thread!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-93-yj-build-slow-low-cog-1229470/"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]My build: OuraYJ[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
rmappelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #3178
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
jeep sneakers 315/75/16 trail grapplers just got here
Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmappelt View Post
Ok I have to hop in now. Usually I just lurk and read all the awesome stuff because I don't have much too add, but I think I can add a little about the Durango area. It is a great area and I don't think you can go wrong there with just about anything. You have to spend some time in Silverton. If you are a train buff and have the cash, the train ride from Durango to Silverton is scenic. Lots of great, beautiful trails up there. In addition to Black Bear you might want to check out Imogene, Yankee Boy (great scenery) and Mineral Creek to Engineer's to Animas Forks. Then don't forget the pool in Ouray along with some of the restaurants (Bon Ton, O'Brien's Pub and Ouray Brewery - nice roof top deck). Also they show the video version of San Juan Odyssey at the Main Street Auditorium. It isn't as good as the original slide show in the opera house done years ago, but better than nothing.

Thanks for your efforts in creating such an entretaining and informative thread!
And thank you in return for the suggestions! I'll put those on the list for Annabelle to look at; she's the trip-planner in the family. I just think up weird stuff and then try to build it.

Unread 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #3179
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Snow and Ice Trials: The Falken Wild Peak AT

A lot of people have asked about how the Wild Peak does in a winter environment; they're rightfully curious, as this far-more-capable-than-it-should-have-any-right-to-be-and-I'm-not-even-being-paid-to-say-so tread pattern seems to easily handle damned near anything that gets thrown at it. The slippery December mud of Uwharrie was the only terrain that's even started to slow these tires down, but mud is nothing compared to that great field-leveler among tires: ice. I was curious, myself, about how well the tires would handle ice, snow and sleet; a week or so ago I got the chance to test them out when a mid-winter thunderstorm rolled through and dropped a couple of inches of snow in as many hours.

Pictured: Sodium vapor, frozen water, and an LJ.

We were out in Annabelle's LJ when it all began to come down, and the above picture shows the results of a half-hour's passage. By the time the following morning came, we had three inches of snow under a crust of ice...but we also had clear blue skies, so the tire test commenced.

Pictured: The Heavy Machinery Facility here at RobCo.

Incidentally, that stretch of road is where most of Greta's brake testing is conducted; there's just enough room between the curves to get her up to 50 and then slam down on the middle pedal to scrub the rotors. I should note, here, that such an activity on an icy road would likely result in some manner of accidental fatality because no matter how good one's tire traction might be, adding "ice" to the equation means that Greta's oversized brakes will IMMEDIATELY lock all four tires with the slightest pressure on the pedal. Here's a closer look at why that kind of thing happens; the fluffy bits of snow aren't that dangerous, but that base layer of hard-packed ice is nothing so much as a zero-friction/non-stick surface coating for the asphalt.

Pictured: Also, it makes for near-perfect "winter traction" test conditions.

With that said, I might as well state that I was hands-down amazed at how well these tires did on the snow/ice mix that coated the roads. I expected a solid filling of the tread, and what I got was...well, it was nothing close to expectation. The outer edges picked up a bit of the wettest and stickiest snow, but the center voids looked like they were rolling through puddles; keep in mind that the temperature was approximately 26 at the time the following pictures were taken.

Pictured: This probably explains how they handle water so easily, as well.

Pictured: The opposite face, also on an area that was mostly ice.

On untraveled/unpacked snow and ice, the tires will lift a bit of the material, especially along the outer edges...but they also tend to fling it off as it crosses the centerline of the axle at the rear face of the tire (if it even makes it that far). As a result, the top and - more importantly - the leading surfaces of the tires are mostly clean when they come into contact with the accumulations ahead in the line of travel. On the road - as seen here - only the outer edge lifted any measurable amount of snow at all. Acceleration and turning - even turning at speed - felt very predictable and stable. I didn't notice a huge difference between two-wheel and four-wheel drive; there was more than enough traction in both modes. Braking - as expected - was dangerous...but that's no different than what's to be expected when any set of non-studded tires contacts ice; the general rule when driving through slick conditions is to only brake when you must do so, and to then be consistent and smooth in your movements. Even with these rules in mind, the Savvy stuff locked the front down right-f******-now, which thus allowed the rears to follow suit a microsecond later. This was the only time that the tires felt marginal to me, but I'm not sure than anything except a dedicated winter tire would make a difference.

I figured that some of you would want something a little more...Wastelandish...than an on-road test; to that end, I headed out to some suitably uneven terrain that was hard-frozen, powdery, slick and uncrossed by anything at the time I got there.

Pictured: I really and truly love that umbrella...

It's hard to tell because of the angle of the photo, but those of us that aren't hanging out with The Slow Kids In The Class will note that this is a steeper hill than it seems; you can tell by the unloading of the front suspension and the slightly-greater-than-normal tire clearance. In 3" deep powder the tread voids seemed to fill up to a rather significant degree, but there was no noticeable loss of traction; careful observance will show a tread pattern in the snow behind the tire. In driving through the hills and on the so-called "road" leading to the area the Wild Peaks did a great job; I actually tried to make them break traction and they mostly refused to do so, although I had reasonable success with causing the rear end to swing around on me by dropping into two-wheel drive and flooring the gas. In four-by mode and when driving like I had a functioning brain, they were every bit as stable off-road as they were when on the pavement.

As if that wasn't enough of a test, we had a nice little ice-storm come through a few days later. Naturally, all of the precipitation fell when I was out and about and didn't have Greta all buttoned-up under her cover back at Site B; it was 19 and I was out driving around at 65 miles per hour with no enclosed top because there is something fundamentally wrong with me.

Pictured: However, the deck cover looks pretty sweet, though.

Note the fact that there is barely any visible sign of passage behind the Jeep; that road is covered with solid ice. Be that as it may, the tires did as well as could be expected; they were reasonably stable unless radical maneuvering and/or braking was taking place and Greta could execute some nice return-to-center slide management after intentional loss-of-control was induced. All-told, I was impressed that she was as controllable as I found her to be, given conditions at the time. When the ice melted the next day and the roads were slush-covered it was no different than driving through heavy rain; excellent wet traction and a return to normal, predictably-excellent braking.

Summary: The Wild Peak AT's are a good winter tire for those of us that don't require a dedicated winter tire. They offer surprisingly-nice traction and control in various mixtures of snow when both on- and off-road, and they suffer no exceptional penalties when pure ice is encountered. All-told, they continue to impress me and I will continue to recommend them.

Also, they're still wearing pretty nicely, and there's still more to come from Muppet Labs. Stay tuned.

Unread 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3180
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the tires,I have the rocky mountain Falkins 33x12.5x15 and they have served me very well in Michigan. Are yours closer to 33s or 35s
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.