The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 191 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #2851
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know if you care for seasonal shiner, but I just had this for the first time and it tastes like Christmas in a glass.

image-3740878887.jpg  
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #2852
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This thread needs more............Annabelle ...................
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2853
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildutchboy View Post
Yes Sundowner, there's something about shiny-black vinyl-clad C.A.M. and her little half-smile that makes the blood rush right out of my brain as well. Did abbreviating help any?
Nope...didn't help at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
Don't know if you care for seasonal shiner, but I just had this for the first time and it tastes like Christmas in a glass.
Ah, the fresh scent of pine...

I haven't tried it, but if I can come up with some I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
This thread needs more............Annabelle ...................
Well yeah, but that's always the case.

Today's Jeeping...hopefully, re-routing and replacing air locker lines. If not, it'll happen over the weekend. Thankfully, I have lots of work to do, lately.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #2854
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob05 View Post
So much want
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #2855
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Crazy last few days, but Uwharrie is happening on the 11th. Updates and more attention as soon as I can manage it.

Unread 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #2856
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Crazy last few days, but Uwharrie is happening on the 11th. Updates and more attention as soon as I can manage it.
Naturally. The only day this week I can't go. Alas I'll have to wait until the spring.
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #2857
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The day before a wheeling trip, i was expecting a detailed write up on a trail kit Sundowner... :lmao: be sure to grab some pics of Greta tomorrow and looking forward to seeing how the Falkens and big brake kit perform.
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #2858
Offshoredrillin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

have a safe trip!
Offshoredrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #2859
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pictured: Today's Jeeping.

Much write-up and information on the way tomorrow...I'm too thrashed to think straight, right now, and that means that it was a good day...

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #2860
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome man, happy to see you are out enjoying your rig! After all the hard work we put into them, these moments we are out in the woods is what it is all about!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #2861
cycleguy04

Glad to see Greta being used. I only wish I lived closer so I can see her in action.

On another note, I may be able to fly down for KOH. Keeping my fingers crossed.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #2862
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Such a nice looking Jeep.....how're you liking the Falkens?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2863
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is that going up Daniel? Last time I rode that trail I rode the skid plates half the way down. Ouch.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #2864
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Day We Had Uwharrie All To Ourselves

...ahem...

Pop Quiz: You show up at one of the best off-road recreation areas in this half of the country and you find that there is literally nobody else in the entire place. It's just you, your wheeling partner and your two rigs, and when the engines are shut down the only thing you can hear is the wind through the birch leaves. What do you do?

A: Go home dejected, as you really wanted to wait in long lines and get yelled at by other frustrated people.
B: Hold a small, informal group meditation session.
C: Begin your long-anticipated foray into Flemish landscape painting.
D: Anything you want. Twice.

Correct Answer: D...unless you're from England, in which case it would also be A, and there's really no help for you at all. The rest of us would giggle wickedly at the realization that we had the entirety of the trail system of Uwharrie National Forest to ourselves. When you examine the following picture, consider the fact that during the entire time it took us to hike up the hill, survey the possible routes, reach a decision or three, hike halfway down and then see Greta and The Big Beetle framed in the "V for Victory" tree, there was not another voice or engine to be heard anywhere.

Pictured: Silence.

Although Tuesday was predicted to be rainy, cold, windy and thoroughly-miserable in this particular corner of the Wasteland it was clear that The Weather Gods had something else in store: the morning temperature was sitting somewhere around 64 and rising, there was no wind to speak of, and the only rain that came through had done so a few hours earlier in the night...and even then it was barely enough to knock the dust off of the trees. In short, it was a more-than-perfect December day.

Pictured: Heading up a through some pebbles.

Aside from saying "we ran up and down every damned trail in the place about twice" I couldn't tell you where we went or when for two reasons. The first and primary factor was that the trail map we had on-hand turned out to be somewhat out of date, somehow; we hit at least one trail that flat-out wasn't shown or that was shown so inaccurately that we couldn't figure out where we were at the time. There were plenty of incidents where we got to a crossroads on a marked trail where another split off and it simply wasn't there. Sometimes we took those paths, and other times we didn't; everything was marked - riding on unmarked trails is a no-no - with OHV symbols and numbers, but at times we couldn't correlate the numbering system to the printed map in-hand. The second reason was that - having the entire trail system to ourselves - we simply didn't have to worry about it.

My wheeling partner for the day was Ryan. He's a veritable staff member here at Site B and pilots what I call "The Big Beetle"...a getting-nicely-built FJ Cruiser. To get an idea of the size difference between this beast and a TJ, consider the fact that he also has 35's. It's no wonder that he says it's like driving a living room.

Pictured: But still, seriously, it looks like a beetle. It really does.

Uwharrie offers a lot of varied terrain. There are mudpits - avoided, thanks very much - long hill climbs, forest roads, rock piles, and a lot of washboards...the latter of which were more of a challenge to me than anything else due to Greta's non-optimal gearing. The best I could manage was third gear in low range, with the rear unlocked for most of the day...but if I had a better first gear ratio - 4.88's, say - or more power, high range would have been fine.

Pictured: Shock-heaters, when run at any kind of speed.

The gearing wasn't a HUGE disadvantage, but it did cause some over-clutching and shifting at inopportune moments. Another slight issue was tire pressure; I aired down the Falkens to the 12-ish/14-ish range and...well, they didn't care. I keep saying it over and over, but now there's some visual proof: these are some stiff tires, kids.

Pictured: Check out the right rear NOT deflecting at all.

This is what happens, I think, when you have NO weight in the rear. Even with a FULL tank of gas Greta's backside is light; a bit more weight and the full-sized spare would have been welcome here, and a bit more weight off of the nose would have been nice. I think that the lightweight V8 transplant will help a little of this, and it'll help the ride quality as well...but the real solution to that latter situation will be properly-valved shocks, different springs in the front and a suspension that allows better movement and climbing. My tire pressures could have been eight pounds lower and probably given me a lot more capability, but without a ready supply of air I didn't want to lose a bead and get stuck. Even so, the climbs weren't that bad...yet.

Pictured: Fun.

Naturally, any successful hill climb - even the small ones - requires the poser shot at the top.

Pictured: Required poser shot.

We hit a couple of easy forest roads after that...basically dirt tracks with some large piles of dirt here and there for a cool little roller-coaster effect. We took a left onto a here-in-real-life-but-not-shown-on-the-map trail and found a NICE hill climb and descent. We had to run this one a couple of times each. Here's Greta coming up one side of the gulch and working through some smallish divots.

Pictured: "A touch bumpy here, isn't is?"

I literally smoked my clutch on that one...which wasn't bad, because I have a habit of feathering the clutch anyway and it needs a good burning from time to time. It probably doesn't need heating to the point where Ryan had to say "Back off the clutch...you got smoke rolling out," and for me to only then do it in low range - but that's beside the point. Here's The Beetle heading back up the same gulch and showing off the high clearance of the independent front suspension.

Pictured: Also, ample lighting.

After that little up-and-down Greta's clutch needed some time to cool off. Therefore, lunch...

Pictured: Damn near as good as a sammich.

After a good rest - and I needed it, as badly as I was getting beaten around from the combination of not-the-best gearing and need-to-be-changed front shocks - we headed around the Rocky Mountain Loop to play in the rocks for awhile. I didn't take the hardest lines out there because 1) I'm not armored adequately, and 2) I'm not an idiot; I rather enjoy picking a smart line and NOT breaking my rig. Even so, we found this BEFORE we got to the rocky parts...and we have no idea when it happened.

Pictured: The literal instant that I decided a tummy tuck was going to happen soon.

The Rocky Mountain loop isn't a very simple trail, but it's not very easy, either. It rewards a careful driver. We went through most of it without any contact, whatsoever...likewise with Dutch John; the worst I could claim for the entire day was the hit to the transfer case skid, a touch on both pumpkins and one light scrape on a lower control arm mount...all matters of ground clearance, incidentally. Here's a view of a halfway-intelligent line at the top of an obstacle on the RML.

Pictured: Not too bad.

I took that higher, more-small-turns-required line because the lower one looked like it was intentionally designed to snag differentials...and because the entire area was pervaded by the strong smell of gear oil. We could actually see streaks of it on a particularly-prominent and suspiciously small rock, and - believe it or not - Ryan actually found a video online last night of someone taking the exact line that we worked around. It was shot this past weekend.

Needless to say, neither Ryan nor myself turtled from giving the rig too much gas; both of us know where "reverse" is on the shifter and we use it to good advantage when needed. Thus, we live to go play in more rock piles.

Pictured: More rock piles.

Have I mentioned that I'm thinking about a gas-tank tuck as well? Here's the reason...

Pictured: Notice the rock spires that passed to either side of the rear diff.

I came down about a half-inch from the pyramid that you can see just inboard of the right rear tire, and if I'd had ANY kind of rear bumper or tire carrier I would have scraped it here or in ten other places on this run, alone. I can't over-stress the need for armor and ground clearance when you're in this type of terrain. Consider what happened when Ryan took a different line in the FJ.

Pictured: Note the boulder immediately behind his right rear tire.

He actually caught the very distal end of that boulder on one of his rock slider mounts, and he did it somewhat at speed...which spun the thing around and put it right in the middle of the line I was going to take. That's how I ended up pointing Greta further off to the right - as seen above - and going for an impossible field goal between two trees that only a TJ could pass through.

Pictured: We measured 72" between the trees, and Greta is 72" wide. F*** you, physics.

After that little climb it became obvious that I need to fix my rear suspension so that I've actually got some traction when climbing; I had to lock the front in order to pull myself up. After I passed through the trees, though, it was smooth sailing...but Ryan still had a couple of other somewhat-entertaining parts to navigate.

Pictured: FJ flex.

The 35" Kuhmo's on his rig did awesomely well, as did the Falkens; they took everything that we threw at them and they were perfectly content to just keep on going. You can't complain about a tire when it gets you up to the top of climbs like this one.

Pictured: Blue skies, grey stone and red dirt. Few things are better.

We took a long ride back down the easier trails from that point on - Sawmill and Wolf Den, I think - and then it was back to Eldorado to survey the damage that 26 miles of trail can do when you're not looking. Yeah, you read that correctly...we ran 26 miles in about six and a half hours...and aside from the crack on the transfer case skid and some minor contact with the axle parts, Greta was in good shape. She might need a bit of a bath, though.

Pictured: Good thing she had her umbrella...

Overall, I'd say it was about the best off-roading I've ever had; it was quiet, peaceful and there was nobody around...sort of what the rest of the Wasteland will be like, eventually. I think we're going to have to make the Last Week of The Season Run an annual thing, but I can't expect that we'll ever have a more perfect day of it. For anyone that wasn't there, you honestly missed out...so I hope that next year you'll be able to come along.

Unread 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #2865
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Awesome man, happy to see you are out enjoying your rig! After all the hard work we put into them, these moments we are out in the woods is what it is all about!
Very well said, that. Just a few hours in the dirt makes all the sweat and tears in the garage worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Glad to see Greta being used. I only wish I lived closer so I can see her in action.
You would have seen a lot of limited flexibility, and a lot of me saying "I f****** HATE Clevite Bushings! Ugh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
On another note, I may be able to fly down for KOH. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm keeping my fingers cross for being there, myself...but if we can all make it I'll owe you a beer in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
Is that going up Daniel? Last time I rode that trail I rode the skid plates half the way down. Ouch.
Daniel was the only trail we didn't hit; I vetoed it because I experienced the same thing as you the last time I was there...and that wasn't even in my rig. The guy that was driving tore up a LOT on that trail because he wasn't armored...so while I'm itching to hit it, I'll have some metal underneath Greta when she goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Such a nice looking Jeep.....how're you liking the Falkens?
Thank you, sir...and again, my congratulations on yours being on the road again. Here's the butcher's bill for the day, tire-wise.

Pictured: "Contact with rocks may cause a rash."

Even with too much air they took on the rocks with no problems. I'll be hard-pressed to switch tires at any point in the future...these are just too damned good.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.