The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #241
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I don't know, to be honest. The design I'm working on has more metal in it...I want a more "finished" look so I'm incorporating an inner skin. The Savvy design looks to be .125" aluminum, which makes sense as it's a single piece outer skin with reinforcements at top and bottom. I was thinking of cutting the thickness down to .100 since the aluminum skins in my concept are just that...skins. The structural support would be a composite framework. I'm split on whether to use a solid-core frame or a molded carbon-only design. If I do a solid-core I'll use an appropriate wood for the core - probably Sitka spruce, if I can get any - and go over it with carbon fiber...this would be simple, strong, light and very rugged: they build airplanes with this method for a very good reason. On the other hand, I could create a negative mold and do a pure carbon layup, which would be lighter and possibly somewhat stronger, but also more expensive. I am undecided on what to do about the latches at this point in time...since this is not a "trail door" I want a decent latch system and a finished appearance here, as well. I know I can get the aluminum for about $160...maybe less. We'll have to see. The final price all depends on the materials...and keep in mind, I'm not paying myself for labor.
Both framework ideas sound very interesting. I'm clueless about latches, maybe re-use the original door's system? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #242
cycleguy04

The materials you speak of for building your doors remind me of my aviation tech school days working on small aircraft flooring. It's a very light honeycomb composite sandwiched between two thin aluminum sheets. Hardest part would be finding a aviation junk yard. I'm not sure the thickness would work though, it's about 3\4 to an inch thick. You've got the gears in my head turning. I'll have to look into this!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #243
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
It's a very light honeycomb composite sandwiched between two thin aluminum sheets. Hardest part would be finding a aviation junk yard. I'm not sure the thickness would work though, it's about 3\4 to an inch thick.
That's where the idea came from, but due to the second sentence you wrote I decided to go a different route. To clarify: I'm basically going to build a tube door frame out of carbon...either a pure carbon layup or a skin over spruce. When that's complete, I'll skin the carbon skeleton in aluminum and work some latches into it. And since I just found out that I have to have a couple of root canals, this carbon skeleton might take awhile to be completed. With that in mind:

F*** DENTISTS.

Sorry, just had to get that out. I'm fine now.

I really like the idea of they honeycomb panel. I'd love to be able to find one in an aviation junkyard but I'm not in the right area of the Wasteland for that. However, it's a concept that's well worth pursuing. I personally believe that composites have a place in the off-road world...but they're just a bit pricey and we're still working on accepting aluminum. I've wondered if a transfer case skid couldn't be built from a carbon layup, as well.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #244
cycleguy04

I am dreading my upcoming dentist appointment as well. I've had two root canals and am experiencing the usual symptoms once again. I think the best way to avoid it is to probably not show any signs of pain through the whole cleaning. Might be tough though.

I found a couple manufacturers of aircraft flooring with a quick google search. No indication on price. I'm liking your idea with the spruce/aluminum sandwich! Might be the way to go!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #245
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Would moisture cause the wood to rot overtime?

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #246
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Would moisture cause the wood to rot overtime?
Excellent question...and the quick answer is "no." Although spruce isn't a particularly rot-resistant wood - no matter its use as a spar material - there are plenty of ways to make wood essentially impervious to moisture...one of which is "encase it in carbon fiber and resin." Once the resin layer is applied over the wood, there's no penetration point for the moisture to get in unless a hole is drilled through the layer...a hole such as would be required for the hinge mounting screws. To take care of this penetration, it would be easiest to convert the screw-type fasteners to through-bolts and sleeves...i.e. an aluminum sleeve that passes from one skin surface to the other, epoxied into place. Conversely, the screw holes could be also drilled and a thin penetrating sealer introduced into them and allowed to dry before the hinges were fastened. A bit of silicon on the threads would be insurance. Either way, I'm not worried about moisture.

No news on brake parts, yet. They're still set to arrive Friday, and the install will hopefully take place on Saturday. With any luck, there'll be a big update on Saturday night!

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #247
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a lot of irons in the fire Jeep wise, that is. I may need a list of "order of operation" for Greta! I get lost easily, lol! Let's see.....
1. brakes
2. locker pump relocation
3. 1/2 doors?
4. tool kit retro
5. replace defective OME shock(is that one done already?)
6. ??
I like lists! LOL!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #248
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Sounds like a lot of irons in the fire Jeep wise, that is. I may need a list of "order of operation" for Greta! I get lost easily, lol! Let's see.....
1. brakes
2. locker pump relocation
3. 1/2 doors?
4. tool kit retro
5. replace defective OME shock(is that one done already?)
6. ??
I like lists! LOL!
Profit?
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #249
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's a lot of irons, yes...and that's only with one Jeep.

1. Brakes...this has to be done first.
2. Compressor Relocation.
3. Finish the Toolkit Essay.
4. OME Replacement shock...which I STILL DON'T HAVE YET.
5. Half-doors...this is a long-term thing.
6. Shotgun Mount. What? I didn't mention that yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Profit?
Not sure what you're asking there, man.

Unread 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #250
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Go relocate your compressor now. I want to see #3 sooner rather than later
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #251
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Oh whoops! Look what I started! Sorry Sundowner! My bad!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #252
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
I was actually working on my Toolkit Essay this afternoon, so...calm the f*** down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Oh whoops! Look what I started! Sorry Sundowner! My bad!
Yeah, it's totally your fault: names have been taken...papers have been filed. Those responsible will be sacked.

I also got some pricing on aluminum this afternoon, both for the compressor relocation and the doors. Looks like I'll be using either 6061 or 6063.

Unread 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #253
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hahahaha I got told
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #254
cycleguy04

What gave you the idea to use aviation materials? Or are you just that f***ing smart?

What kind of resin would you use and what would you use to seal the bushings and such?

Upon some extensive thought on this subject, I have came to the realization: Why not just buy some f***ing safari doors and wrap them in canvas?

Don't mean to undermine your ideas, just sayin... You want your Jeep to be practical right?

Unread 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #255
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
What gave you the idea to use aviation materials? Or are you just that f***ing smart?

Quote:
Why not just buy some f***ing safari doors and wrap them in canvas?
Because carbon fiber is the ****.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.