The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #226
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

No es bueno!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #227
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, it's not bueno at all...it happened all of the sudden and I had a hell of a time getting back to the shop, but since there's a lesson to be learned I'll have to do a short tech write-up on it. That'll require going out and taking some pictures when there's more light.

I can say, however, that a dirty IAC can cause all kinds of issues when sitting at idle. I thought I had injector problems...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #228
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look forward to the write-up. I'm pushing almost 100k and have never cleaned them! I'm sure they are both overdue for a cleaning!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #229
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
And that's why I'll soon own a case spreader.
You lucky dog! I've thought about constructing my own. Friggin things are pricy!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #230
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
You lucky dog! I've thought about constructing my own. Friggin things are pricy!
They can be had for less than $200, and if you're going to do differentials you need to have one. I know people say "Oh, just get two pry bars and a hammer" but I'm just not down with that: working on cameras has taught me that with high tolerance assemblies there is no substitute for proper tooling.

Unread 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #231
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the delivery date for my brake parts is April 13th...I'm not sure WHY it's going to take that long since Savvy shipped them two days ago, but whatever. I've finally gotten a tracking number from UPS so at least I'll have some idea of where they are...

Unread 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #232
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had more of an update to post, but I don't. I've had family visiting, errands to run, work to do around the house and I seriously needed to spend some time in my darkroom before I lost my sanity. So, Greta's been a bit neglected this week. However, I thought I'd give everyone a status update on All Things Jeep here in the Republic of Dave:

- The brakes are still set to arrive on the 13th...Savvy shipped them sometime last Thursday but UPS decided to not do anything with them until last night. Maybe it was due to the Easter Weekend...I don't know. I've got the shop space all cleared out but I'm worried about the install; I usually have my dad helping on this kind of thing and in at least once incidence - turning down the unit bearing flanges - a third set of hands is going to be almost necessary. So I'll have to see if anyone else is free and wants to spend a bit of time wrenching.

- I've had some TPS and IAC issues, and while I think I got them licked I'm still attempting to determine the cause. I promised an update, and it'll come as soon as I figure out what killed both of them at once.

- My TJ Toolkit essay is coming along. I'm in a process of refining, taking photos, refining again, rewriting, taking more photos, rewriting again...you get the idea. I've added two things to Greta's Standard Equipment list, though: a towel (because a towel is about the most massively useful thing a Jeep driver can have) and The Mysterious and Suspiciously-Named "Girly Things" Kit...which is a LOT stranger and INFINITELY more useful than it sounds. It may even be more useful than the towel.

- Something new: I'm working on a set of half-doors. I really want to have some before the end of summer because I truly HATE driving around with the full doors and no top. I love Savvy's trail doors but don't want to spend $400 on them and wait for god-knows-how-long to get them...so I figured "Hey, I'm a guy that really knows where his towel is...why can't I just build some?" Things are just in the design phase at this point, but I'm working on a design that will use a stock mirror, an aftermarket latch of some sort, and aluminum skins over a composite core. I hope there is some interest in these, as I'm looking forwards to working on them.

That's about it for now...I'm working on a lot of things and will get some read-worthy posts up as soon as I can.

Unread 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #233
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

"I'm a guy who really know where his towel is..."

Brilliant! Have been enjoying the thread a ton. Keep up the good work!
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #234
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHoleton View Post
Brilliant! Have been enjoying the thread a ton. Keep up the good work!
Glad to hear it! It's encouraging to get positive feedback...it tells me that people are enjoying the process as much as I am. In related news, the amount of response to the thread thus far has Annabelle thinking of doing her own thread with her LJ...

Unread 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #235
Rasberry
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This build caught my eye at the beginning because my vision for my TJ is very similar to yours. I am interested in the direction you take on your Jeep, so keep up the good work. Looking forward to the toolkit writeup!
Rasberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #236
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
- My TJ Toolkit essay is coming along. I'm in a process of refining, taking photos, refining again, rewriting, taking more photos, rewriting again...you get the idea. I've added two things to Greta's Standard Equipment list, though: a towel (because a towel is about the most massively useful thing a Jeep driver can have) and The Mysterious and Suspiciously-Named "Girly Things" Kit...which is a LOT stranger and INFINITELY more useful than it sounds. It may even be more useful than the towel.
I am looking forward to this. It will be nice to have a quick reference for a tool list.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #237
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Excited for the toolkit guide and the doors. If you make an aluminum version, I'll buy them off ya And I think Annabelle's thread would be crawled left and right

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #238
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Excited for the toolkit guide and the doors. If you make an aluminum version, I'll buy them off ya And I think Annabelle's thread would be crawled left and right
Right now, the plan is aluminum and carbon fiber.

Unread 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #239
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right now, the plan is aluminum and carbon fiber.
Nice You think they'll run you cheaper than Savvy?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #240
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Nice You think they'll run you cheaper than Savvy?
I don't know, to be honest. The design I'm working on has more metal in it...I want a more "finished" look so I'm incorporating an inner skin. The Savvy design looks to be .125" aluminum, which makes sense as it's a single piece outer skin with reinforcements at top and bottom. I was thinking of cutting the thickness down to .100 since the aluminum skins in my concept are just that...skins. The structural support would be a composite framework. I'm split on whether to use a solid-core frame or a molded carbon-only design. If I do a solid-core I'll use an appropriate wood for the core - probably Sitka spruce, if I can get any - and go over it with carbon fiber...this would be simple, strong, light and very rugged: they build airplanes with this method for a very good reason. On the other hand, I could create a negative mold and do a pure carbon layup, which would be lighter and possibly somewhat stronger, but also more expensive. I am undecided on what to do about the latches at this point in time...since this is not a "trail door" I want a decent latch system and a finished appearance here, as well. I know I can get the aluminum for about $160...maybe less. We'll have to see. The final price all depends on the materials...and keep in mind, I'm not paying myself for labor.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.