The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 156 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #2326
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see these pics! I may have to consider these Falkens when the time comes. Why is it so easy to put 35s under a JK?!?!

dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #2327
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Can't wait to see these pics! I may have to consider these Falkens when the time comes. Why is it so easy to put 35s under a JK?!?!
It's easy to put 35's under a JK because Jeep designed them that way. The fenders make it simple. You still have a lot of other stuff to consider, but the physical clearance required for the tires is essentially already present. With that said, I think you'll be very pleased with the Falkens. You'll likely run them at a higher pressure due to the JK's increased weight, but that won't have any negative impact on their performance; in fact, they may work even better for you than they do for me.

As far as the pictures go: if you're referring to the ones I shot today, it'll be hard to post them on an internet forum as I don't use a digital camera for anything except documenting the Greta's build. I use film for my photographic work; today it was Tri-X and FP-4 in 120 and 35mm, respectively. I haven't processed the 120 stuff yet, but I put the FP-4 through an experimental pyro process and I'm thoroughly impressed with the results. I'm quite looking forwards to processing the 120 film tomorrow, and also seeing some contact sheets from the pyro negatives...and just in case anyone knows what I'm talking about: Tri-X exposed at 1250 and processed in Diafine makes for a wickedly eerie negative. I'm desperately hoping that I can acquire a 5x7 setup at some point and start using the Tri-X/Diafine and FP-4/pyrogallol combinations as a basis for contact platinotypes...

...and you thought four-link suspensions were complicated.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #2328
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You lost me at "I use film"....
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #2329
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Come on man I know you have heard of a photo scanner

The only mods to run 35s that are really necessary on the JK (from my research) are Tires, 1.5" Spacers, Fender Mods, and a ProCal. I may look into beefing up the front axle with a truss, HD TB mount, and gussets as well.
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #2330
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
You lost me at "I use film"....
Yeah, that's what usually happens.

It's a lonely existence, but the truth is that I don't have any opposition to digital techniques; I see them as nothing more or less than another unique tool at the photographer's disposal, to be employed at their discretion. I have little use for them due to my methods and ideas, but should a situation present itself in which a digital effort would be useful I'd be quick to employ it. Pending that I get a sheet-film setup, I'd likely configure a small digital camera to mimic the larger format and use it as a "preview" rig before burning $3-per-sheet film at failed compositions. That's not only frustrating, but also non-conducive to the affording of Jeep parts.

Quote:
Come on man I know you have heard of a photo scanner
I have, indeed...and if you ever hold a truly great silver print in your hands, you'll know why a scanner can't even come close to conveying the impact, depth and emotion inherent in such a creation.

Quote:
The only mods to run 35s that are really necessary on the JK (from my research) are Tires, 1.5" Spacers, Fender Mods, and a ProCal. I may look into beefing up the front axle with a truss, HD TB mount, and gussets as well.
And some brakes.

Unread 08-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #2331
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Agreed but I still want to see the pics

I haven't heard the brake issue brought up on JKs like it is on TJs. I am pretty sure the brakes are bigger to begin with

I must be tired because I am using an unnatural amount of emoticons tonight.
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #2332
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga

I haven't heard the brake issue brought up on JKs like it is on TJs. I am pretty sure the brakes are bigger to begin with

I must be tired because I am using an unnatural amount of emoticons tonight.
Id still say some black magic brakes would be a nice edition. Im not a jk guy so pardon my lack of knowledge and poor comparison but it sounds like running 35s on a jk is like running 33s on a tj. Not hard to do with minor mods. You can have 33s on stock brakes but notice a loss in breaking power. Why not get some of mr blaines black magic brakes for added insurance and stock or better than stock stopping and safety.
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #2333
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hehehe...I'll see what I can do if I get anything worthwhile.

Quote:
I'm sure they are, but the physics of tire-size increases apply to JK's as well. If you go to 35's, I'd think hard about some sort of brake upgrade. From my casual perusal of the JK world, brakes are a commonly ignored item...as are a great many other things. Don't be that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjones1994 View Post
Why not get some of mr blaines black magic brakes for added insurance and stock or better than stock stopping and safety.
$235 gets it done.

Unread 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #2334
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sundowner, I have followed your thread for quite some time now and find myself in a constant state of amazement. However, just when I think I have seen it all you once again blow me away.....I know of few people who still use Tri-X let alone self develop.

Soo to summarize; aluminum hard cover design and fabrication, re-engineering bumpers and politely correcting the manufacturer, detailed instructions to install Black Magic brakes, 35mm and 120 film processing, chicken sammiches and beer from the Lone Star State? I believe you are possibly one of the remaining renaissance men!
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2335
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasYJ View Post
Sundowner, I have followed your thread for quite some time now and find myself in a constant state of amazement. However, just when I think I have seen it all you once again blow me away.....I know of few people who still use Tri-X let alone self develop.
I am nothing if not an anachronism. A few months ago I was out testing some Ilford Pan-F and found myself taking pictures of cracks in asphalt - don't ask - when someone walked up and halfway started a conversation...

Random Guy: "That looks like a really heavy camera..."
Me: "It's not too bad...a few pounds. You don't notice it after a few weeks."
Random Guy: "Wow, a couple of pounds?! What model is it?"
Me: "Pentax. A later-production 645N."
Random Guy: "Huh. How many megapixels is it?"
Me: "Right now? About 150."

Quote:
Soo to summarize; aluminum hard cover design and fabrication, re-engineering bumpers and politely correcting the manufacturer, detailed instructions to install Black Magic brakes, 35mm and 120 film processing, chicken sammiches and beer from the Lone Star State? I believe you are possibly one of the remaining renaissance men!
That's a hell of a compliment. Thank you.

Unread 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #2336
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I am nothing if not an anachronism. A few months ago I was out testing some Ilford Pan-F and found myself taking pictures of cracks in asphalt - don't ask - when someone walked up and halfway started a conversation...

Random Guy: "That looks like a really heavy camera..."
Me: "It's not too bad...a few pounds. You don't notice it after a few weeks."
Random Guy: "Wow, a couple of pounds?! What model is it?"
Me: "Pentax. A later-production 645N."
Random Guy: "Huh. How many megapixels is it?"
Me: "Right now? About 150."

What did we ever do before megapixels? However, cutting my teeth on Tri-X and self development, megapixels are sure nice. No more shooting pictures, thinking your settings are correct, only to find out you were wrong and blew the picture......man I hated that feeling. Now, does not look right, delete and shoot again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's a hell of a compliment. Thank you.
Well deserved, well deserved. You are an inspiration sir!

Back to the updates!
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #2337
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What did we ever do before megapixels? However, cutting my teeth on Tri-X and self development, megapixels are sure nice. No more shooting pictures, thinking your settings are correct, only to find out you were wrong and blew the picture......man I hated that feeling. Now, does not look right, delete and shoot again.
What did we do before megapixels? We let failure and experience sharpen our craft.

I don't mean that as a slam to the digital process, but I've seen far too many people sledgehammer their way into half-good pictures with burst modes and HDR to not address my concern at the tactic. I agree that it's good to be able to delete something and try again, but I value my film-based failures in the same way that I value the mistakes I make in the shop and the garage. Fundamentally, artistic frustration is no different than the disappointment I felt at seeing the painted finish of the deck turn out about half as well as I'd prefer...yet by making the mistake I learned more than would have been possible had I been able to immediately erase my mistake and start over. It is for this reason that mistakes are so much more valuable than successes; when we royally f*** things up the lessons most certainly sink in.

Now, does this mean that the "Delete" button has no place? Certainly not. However - like every other action in the world - it has a proper method of employment...and if the method is to erase a perceived mistake I am concerned; again, had I been able to effortlessly delete painting errors and tack welds and misplaced holes I would have learned far less than I did, and my abilities as a fabricator - though still in their infancy - would be insignificant in comparison to their present state.

Mistakes are good, my friend.

Quote:
Well deserved, well deserved. You are an inspiration sir! Back to the updates!
My appreciation is again extended...however, I agree: time for more updates. I'm planning to write up a few retrospectives on the in-depth process of the deck construction...after The Mysterious and Suspiciously-Named Girly Things Kit is FINALLY posted, that is.

Unread 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #2338
cycleguy04

It's about time!

Sent from the far reaches of space.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #2339
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am definitely going with Mr. Blaine's BM brakes when the time comes. I was happy to see he had an offering avaiable. Apparently, he and Gerald are working on a UA system for JKs as well. Damn them!
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #2340
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been mulling over a mod, and looked back through the pages to see if you had addressed it. But I really HATE the 3rd brake light setup on the stock TJ. Especially with the rear tire removed. Have you given any thought to the 3rd brake light issue on the naked rear end? I've thought about a LED light bar across the top of the tailgate. What say you?
Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.